Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City to Clontarf Cycle Route

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1364559327143620609

This says it's starting in August, I'll believe it when I see it

What do you think of the final design? There have been a lot of changes since the original proposal, which I think was in 2012!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can't make head or tails of the 60 page PDF ... are they still planning to route it on a new cycle track parallel to Alfie Byrne Road which continues from the Clontarf promenade along what is currently wasteground?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Can't make head or tails of the 60 page PDF ... are they still planning to route it on a new cycle track parallel to Alfie Byrne Road which continues from the Clontarf promenade along what is currently wasteground?

No. We are talking about Clontarf to Amiens St. via North Strand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looks decent, fully segregated track all the way, few comments from me
    - The junction with North circular road looks tough to cycle, the road furniture means cyclists can't cycle straight through.
    - still one lane inbound past Marino mart (down from 2). That'll be a big battle ground with drivers.
    - I love the junction at Alfie Byrne/Clontarf for cyclists, much esier to get to the cycle path (is that a first cycling roundabout in Ireland?)
    - with the route they've built down East Wall road, it looks like it may be more plesant to come inbound through Clontarf, turn left on Alfie Byrne, then right on East Wall Road, and rejoin at the bridge at the far corner of Fairview Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Progress check. I've not heard anything re tenders and August is coming up fast. The last media mention seems to be October last year when the IT more less had the project scrapped over the Irish Water issue. DCC website still says August but nothing on DCC website is reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Keen to hear about this myself, the never ending story

Keen to hear about this myself, the never ending story

tbh as I've not heard anything at this point I'd be assuming the August goal for starting is well gone as contractors would need some notice to get their act together and give notice to all the utility providers etc. It would be a shame if this one ended up on the big pile of projects that spent millions in consultation and design and then evaporated.

I can't see it happening in its current format anyway, businesses are already starting to moan about it and residents in Ballybough etc about detoured traffic.
    It wont happen and they'll put in a fancy road crossing and resurface the bike lane in Fairview park, if we're lucky.

Agreed. It's in good company:

The pedestrianisation of Liffey st, College Green, North Stephen's Green, the permanent Liffey cycle route, the Clonskeagh cycle route, the new walking/cycling bridges in the docklands, the Templebar public realm scheme, Dublin bikes extension to suburbs, canal and river route cycle schemes, the co-housing scheme, the O'Devaney Gardens regeneration scheme and my personal favourite; the Poolbeg West housing project.

All great plans, with money spent on them, poof, nowhere to be seen or heard of ever again, no explanation offered at all, the tax payers will just accept this. They'd have a revolution in most countries but not here.

• Advertisement

I'm just home from work after cycling from city centre to Raheny via Fairview/Howth Road. Absolutely horrible, close pass after close pass, doors swinging open from parked cars in Fairview with a buses on the other side of you, it's a nightmare. The Howth road just has a white line for a bike lane on a narrow road so every car passes you with 2 or 3 feet to spare on some parts. Hadn't done my normal commute in a long time. They've done nothing to improve it and I wont hold my breath for improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm just home from work after cycling from city centre to Raheny via Fairview/Howth Road. Absolutely horrible, close pass after close pass, doors swinging open from parked cars in Fairview with a buses on the other side of you, it's a nightmare. The Howth road just has a white line for a bike lane on a narrow road so every car passes you with 2 or 3 feet to spare on some parts. Hadn't done my normal commute in a long time. They've done nothing to improve it and I wont hold my breath for improvements.

I cycled it recently for the first time since March 2020 and had forgotten all of the unpleasantness you've listed above until then. In some ways I'm looking forward to getting back to my commute, particularly for fitness reasons, but a return to the regular conflict with traffic is not appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I cycled it recently for the first time since March 2020 and had forgotten all of the unpleasantness you've listed above until then. In some ways I'm looking forward to getting back to my commute, particularly for fitness reasons, but a return to the regular conflict with traffic is not appealing.

Yeah I miss the commute for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Off a bike for far too long so only did formerly frequent Fairview to Howth spin last week.
    Ab-so-lu-te-ly loved it! That section around St Anne's used to piss me off big time, crossing the road, ****ty surface in narrow and busy traffic.
    Now, a veritable cycling nirvana to savour.

Still wind in your face both directions, but even DCC can't sort that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

souter wrote: »
    Still wind in your face both directions, but even DCC can't sort that.
    Well they did want to build a big wall against the sea to prevent flooding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Well they did want to build a big wall against the sea to prevent flooding!

They built a big wall, then lowered it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement