Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ways to sign off emails as gaeilge

Options
  • 26-05-2009 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Yep what it says on the tin, just writing an email in Irish and I realise I'm writing 'le dea ghui' or 'le gach dea ghui' to sign off.

Can people post here what expressions they use to sign off an email- casual or otherwise- it'd really be helpful to all of us here learning Irish.

Mile buiochas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Míle Buíochas,
    Le meas,

Cliste...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Off the top of my head, here's what I normally see or use myself:

Formal -
    Le dea-ghuí
    Le dea-mhéin
    Le meas
    Is mise
    Is mise, le meas

Informal / less formal -
    Míle buíochas
    Rath Dé ort
    Ádh mór
    Beir bua

For someone I know reasonably well, I might sign off with any little phrase -
    Tabhair aire
    Maith thú
    Coinnigh ort!
    Lean ort!
    Tóg go réidh é
    Tóg go bog é

... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

With mile buiochas do you use 'le' in front of it or do you need duit/diot after it????

I have seen 'le buiochas' but not buiochas on its own.

Anyone know??

"Míle buíochas" is just the equivalent of saying "Many thanks" in English (literally "a thousand thanks", similar to "Go raibh míle maith agat"). You could also write "Le buíochas", which is simply "With thanks". In terms of what you might put after it, you don't need anything in this instance (i.e. signing off a letter or email).

If you follow "buíochas" with something as part of a sentence, it would be "le", as in "Buíochas le Dia" - thanks be to god. However to tell someone you're grateful to them, you use "de" along with the adjectival form - "Tá mé buíoch díot".

Jaysus, adjectival form?? I really sound like I know my stuff, don't I?:P Don't be fooled!!

Maith thu mr. chips. Are you a native speaker yea?

I had been thinking mile buiochas was the equivalent of many thanks, but I thought it was a bit Englishy (as in without the preposition) but if buiochas is qualified (that is with mile in this case) it looks like it's ok.

Cool. Go raibh maith agat!

okay so two new sign offs:

Slán tamall/Slán tamaill and go n-éiri leat.

Anymore people??

• Advertisement

Ah no, not a native speaker at all, but that's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me so I don't mind ... :D I left school 20 years ago and then more or less forgot about the language for a long time, but my other half is a fluent speaker and four or five years ago I decided to make it part of my life, so I started using it at home (was REALLY difficult at first and for a long time to make the change from talking to her in Irish instead of English all the time) and got a diploma a couple of years ago. It brought back a lot of the stuff I'd forgotten from school and I now use it for work as well as at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

mr chips wrote: »
    Ah no, not a native speaker at all, but that's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me so I don't mind ... :D I left school 20 years ago and then more or less forgot about the language for a long time, but my other half is a fluent speaker and four or five years ago I decided to make it part of my life, so I started using it at home (was REALLY difficult at first and for a long time to make the change from talking to her in Irish instead of English all the time) and got a diploma a couple of years ago. It brought back a lot of the stuff I'd forgotten from school and I now use it for work as well as at home.

Fair play to ya! Good to read positive storys about the language. Maith thú!

Go raibh maith agat! Tá mé ag obair mar oifigeach forbartha Gaeilge anois agus ag iarraidh daoine eile a spreagadh i dtreo na teanga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Hels88

I'm studying to be an secondary school Irish teacher at the moment. We're always getting emails from our lecturers and off the top of my head they use: slán tamaill, beannacht or gach beannacht to sign off their emails. If its less formal you can use txt language of sgf (slán go fhoil) to sign off.

Hels88 wrote: »
    I'm studying to be an secondary school Irish teacher at the moment. We're always getting emails from our lecturers and off the top of my head they use: slán tamaill, beannacht or gach beannacht to sign off their emails. If its less formal you can use txt language of sgf (slán go fhoil) to sign off.

Beannacht is a new one for me.. thanks for posting that!

Can I ask you, do you have to have a degree in Irish to be able to do the h.dip for teaching Irish in second level or do they accept other degrees and then let you do the h.dip specifically for teaching Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I just use 'le meas" or "is mise le meas".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Hels88

pog it wrote: »
    Beannacht is a new one for me.. thanks for posting that!

Can I ask you, do you have to have a degree in Irish to be able to do the h.dip for teaching Irish in second level or do they accept other degrees and then let you do the h.dip specifically for teaching Irish?

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can have a degree in anything eg. an Arts degree and then just do a H.Dip. I'm doing a 4 year B.Ed course in St.Angela's in Sligo in Home Economics and Gaeilge. At the end of it I'll be fully qualified to teach Home Ec and Irish to 2nd level pupils so won't need to worry about doing a H.Dip. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hels88 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you can have a degree in anything eg. an Arts degree and then just do a H.Dip. I'm doing a 4 year B.Ed course in St.Angela's in Sligo in Home Economics and Gaeilge. At the end of it I'll be fully qualified to teach Home Ec and Irish to 2nd level pupils so won't need to worry about doing a H.Dip. :)

The Teaching Council of Ireland (google it) have a list of what degrees can be used for secondary teaching.

What I was asking was can you train to teach other subjects that are different to what you studied in your degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

slán agus beannacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Prolatarian

mr chips wrote: »
    Go raibh maith agat! Tá mé ag obair mar oifigeach forbartha Gaeilge anois agus ag iarraidh daoine eile a spreagadh i dtreo na teanga.

Maith on fear agus go neirí leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Feicim "Beir bua" i rphostanna freisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Maitiu O Conaill

Tráthnóna maith,
    Is mise Maitiú, deas bualadh leat.
    Tá an aimsir te agus geal inniú, tá sé go hálainn anseo.

I know cúpla focal as Gaeilge but am really struggling with the whole structure and grammer side of things, any inspiring words for me??

Great to see a discussion like this!

slán go foill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Tráthnóna maith,

I know cúpla focal as Gaeilge but am really struggling with the whole structure and grammer side of things, any inspiring words for me??

slán go foill!

Some people prefer to get a book and learn the grammar, personally that just does not work for me, I have tried and failed several times to learn Irish from a book, personally I have had much more success learning Irish through speaking it/listening to it, the more you hear it the more phrases you pick up, the more you use them the easier they are to remember. After a while you start to get a feel for what is right and what is wrong, it is also easier to pick up new vocab, you can just look up a word in a dictionary, but it can be very hard to remember it, if you come across a new word/phrase in conversation with someone you can relate it to a situation making it easier to remember.
    Also when you are talking to someone you can often learn more about a word than you would in a dictionary, take Jellyfish for example, the dictionary will tell you that the Irish for Jellyfish is 'smugairle róin' it won't tell you that 'smugairle róin' literally means 'Seal snot'

Later on it becomes more important to start sorting out the grammar in your head so you can start writing it more accurately and so you can convey more complex ideas, but by then you will have a frame of reference so that you can apply the rules you are learning to stuff you already know.

Tráthnóna maith,

slán go foill!

Some people prefer to get a book and learn the grammar, personally that just does not work for me, I have tried and failed several times to learn Irish from a book, personally I have had much more success learning Irish through speaking it/listening to it, the more you hear it the more phrases you pick up, the more you use them the easier they are to remember. After a while you start to get a feel for what is right and what is wrong, it is also easier to pick up new vocab, you can just look up a word in a dictionary, but it can be very hard to remember it, if you come across a new word/phrase in conversation with someone you can relate it to a situation making it easier to remember.
    Also when you are talking to someone you can often learn more about a word than you would in a dictionary, take Jellyfish for example, the dictionary will tell you that the Irish for Jellyfish is 'smugairle róin' it won't tell you that 'smugairle róin' literally means 'Seal snot'

Later on it becomes more important to start sorting out the grammar in your head so you can start writing it more accurately and so you can convey more complex ideas, but by then you will have a frame of reference so that you can apply the rules you are learning to stuff you already know.

Only problem is I'm in England so exposure is very difficult

• Advertisement

3 years since I posted this thread and feckin delighted that I can now proudly say I am properly bone fide fluent! Getting a kick out of all my beginner question threads!

3 years since I posted this thread and feckin delighted that I can now proudly say I am properly bone fide fluent! Getting a kick out of all my beginner question threads!

Maith an fear! What's the trick to success??

Would be good for you to set up a new thread as you could guide us poor sods using your experience as you were once where we are and understand our struggle

Maith an fear! What's the trick to success??

Would be good for you to set up a new thread as you could guide us poor sods using your experience as you were once where we are and understand our struggle

Well cailín nó bean in my case maitiú :)

There's no secret really. Just lots of slog! Listening to RnaG, Tg4, buying beginner books and moving your way up as you get more fluent, and then I think the most important is asking questions when you can't figure out something yourself. That's where the online forums are invaluable like here or daltai.com.

Good dictionary and coursebook as well - Ó Dónaill dictionary (Irish - English) and de Bhaldraithe (English-Irish) for the dictionaries, then for the coursebook I recommend 'Learning Irish' by Ó Siadhail. To be honest after that it's like anything, it's about how much hard work and effort you put in. No easy way.
    Oh yeah, listen to the native speakers- keep RnaG on all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Only problem is I'm in England so exposure is very difficult
    A lot of Irish-language tv and radio can be watched and listened to on the internet now, which should aid your exposure to the spoken language. Check out www.tg4.tv for instance.

Well cailín nó bean in my case maitiú :)

There's no secret really. Just lots of slog! Listening to RnaG, Tg4, buying beginner books and moving your way up as you get more fluent, and then I think the most important is asking questions when you can't figure out something yourself. That's where the online forums are invaluable like here or daltai.com.

Good dictionary and coursebook as well - Ó Dónaill dictionary (Irish - English) and de Bhaldraithe (English-Irish) for the dictionaries, then for the coursebook I recommend 'Learning Irish' by Ó Siadhail. To be honest after that it's like anything, it's about how much hard work and effort you put in. No easy way.
    Oh yeah, listen to the native speakers- keep RnaG on all day!

Thanks for the detail pog, apologies, not sure why but i just assumed you were a bloke!

What are peoples thought on this as a learning aid?
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Irish/Lesson_One

Thanks

Thanks for the detail pog, apologies, not sure why but i just assumed you were a bloke!

What are peoples thought on this as a learning aid?
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Irish/Lesson_One

Thanks

What level of Irish do you currently have?

[/QUOTE]
    What level of Irish do you currently have?[/Quote]

Very limited, I know a little but get easily frustrated, I have a poor memory which doesn't help!

I looked at the link there but it looks like there are only three lessons up there so far. Can you get the 'Learning Irish' coursebook? It's written by Michael Ó Siadhail. You can get it with cds and it's in Easons. The first few chapters might be tough going. I did it and had Leaving Cert Irish, not sure if you have that or not yet, but if you find it too hard you can always try 'buntús cainte' series which are only a few euro each in Easons and they go through some of the raw basics. Why not flick through them in Easons and decide which one would suit you the best?

I have bought Buntús cainte (first book only at this stage), i will work through that, any tips on easy way to remember words? any benefits on refering to things in the home as gaeilge, kettle of instance?

thanks

• Advertisement

I have bought Buntús cainte (first book only at this stage), i will work through that, any tips on easy way to remember words? any benefits on refering to things in the home as gaeilge, kettle of instance?

thanks

Yep! I got a load of post-its and slapped them on everything in the main rooms. They will stick in your memory fairly fast, then you can take them down, get new ones if you want, and revise the old ones at a later stage.

I also used Teach2000 which is a program you can use to list words and get the program to ask you them back at random. It was on the download site cnet here:
    http://download.cnet.com/Teach2000/3000-2279_4-10318431.html

Great that you have buntús cainte, it's prob as good as anything online to get you off the start mark.

Advertisement