Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electrical Apprentice Phase 6

• 06-04-2009 2:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the syllabus for phase 6 of the electrical apprenticeship? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

All I know is it contains:

Electrical Science
    Electrical Craft Practice
    Electrical Installation
    Workshop Electronics
    Power Distribution
    Programmable Logic Controllers
    Control and Alarm Systems

Can anyone shed any light on what is actually covered in these subjects?

Also is there a particular book anyone could recommend that would cover phase 6 (and phase 4 maybe too if possible)?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

It has changed since I did it, so I dont know. But you could ring DIT on (01) 4023000 and ask to speak to someone in the electrical installation dept. They will be able to answer all your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think a new syllibas was introduced last sept.

I think the john whitfield books are recommended. Between both they cover most of the stuff.
    Volume 1
    Volume 2

The science part is more or less these:
    PLC Control,
    Circuit Logic,
    PLC Operating Principles,
    AC Theory
    Synchronous Motors and speed control
    Dc machines
    transformers
    and electronics.

The Craft roughly:
    Earthing,
    Tariffs and metering,
    Fire alarm systems} possibly gone with the new trade
    Intruder alarm systems}possibly gone with the new trade
    Door intercom systems
    Lighting Protection,
    UPS systems
    Switchgear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Hazardous areas is also in the phase 6 craft practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

Hi,

Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the syllabus for phase 6 of the electrical apprenticeship? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

All I know is it contains:

Electrical Science
    Electrical Craft Practice
    Electrical Installation
    Workshop Electronics
    Power Distribution
    Programmable Logic Controllers
    Control and Alarm Systems

Can anyone shed any light on what is actually covered in these subjects?

Also is there a particular book anyone could recommend that would cover phase 6 (and phase 4 maybe too if possible)?

Cheers...

I can email you good phase 4 notes if you want also might be able to get phase 6 notes from the instructor. The instructor has a notes summary good detailed notes which were really helpful. Go to Tallaght website and look up contacts in electrical engineering dept and email a guy called gerard stockhil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 darren19

anyone any info on the phase 6 electrical science paper on wed lol? i heard a rumor that some of the colleges in dublin have already done the exam! anyone confirm this??

• Advertisement

I thought the phase 6 exam was a national exam & the whole country should sit it at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 backspace1987

bertie1 wrote: »
    I thought the phase 6 exam was a national exam & the whole country should sit it at the same time

yea it is meant to be a state exam, i done my plc exam today and ppl knew what it was going to be, seems dundalk or somewhere had done it already, craft practice tomorrow and scienece on wed!

all of the above is whats covered in the course

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

bertie1 wrote: »

Yup, I'm up in Dundalk and our T1, T2 & T3 this week, all at 9:30 starts, same as Kevin Street anyway.

The only one thats not done together is the PLC wiring exam, as you cant really cheat by knowing what's coming up.. Unless you've a spare eldon box & a few bits knocking about at home & practice practice practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

When I was doing mine back a few years ago we always heard Dundalk started a bit earlier.
    We already knew what our PLC exam was going to be at the time.

PLC written is now a new exam , scheduled like ECP & Science

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

How did phase 6 go for everybody? Fas arent the quickest at giving out results! I hate waiting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sjtmullally

any chance that i can get them phase 4 electrical science off you???

can you e mail me them good phase 4 electrical science notes???I need some..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jka47dvn09xgez

I can email you good phase 4 notes if you want also might be able to get phase 6 notes from the instructor. The instructor has a notes summary good detailed notes which were really helpful. Go to Tallaght website and look up contacts in electrical engineering dept and email a guy called gerard stockhil

Hey mate wondering could you email me the phase 4 notes??? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

[snipped]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jka47dvn09xgez

Hey mate wondering could you email me the phase 4 notes??? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

[snipped]

[Can u email me them phase 4 electrical notes...Id be very grateful...my email address is sjtmullally@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chopper22

can i get the phase 4 notes too my email is wack052005@yahoo.ie thank you so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 philip_ennis

hi could you email phase four notes to me to please philip_ennis2003@yahoo.co.uk

can someone send me the phase 4 notes please my mate wiped them from the computer thick as a ditch i know i need them a.s.a.p as my test is coming up in 4 weeks my email address is wack052005@yahoo.ie

please send them to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 johnda

made a mess of the easter exams and know that i'll have to repeat some if not all. any chance of a copy of the phase 4 notes as well. lost most of mine. could somebody mail them on to me at daveyjohn89@yahoo.ie
    thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 william44444

could u please send me on those phase 4 notes failed it twice im desprte im williamphelan@Live.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 william44444

phase 4 notes please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,793 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Posting Email addresses in a forum such as this isnt a great idea lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slim1988

yea it is meant to be a state exam, i done my plc exam today and ppl knew what it was going to be, seems dundalk or somewhere had done it already, craft practice tomorrow and scienece on wed!

all of the above is whats covered in the course
    ....................im in phase 6 in lit......weve done or practical test last wednesday......have you done the craft practice or science or plc written yet???? any info on questions that are on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Just finished phase 2 last week and back to work now. Done p3 and t2 last week and was just wondering how long will I be waiting for the results? Does it usually take a while or can you ring fas and get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Phase 2 results are normally quite quick, can just take a few days. Ye, you can ring up and they will tell you once they have finalised all the marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Count me in ... I would like a copy of the PLC notes if they are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robb575

hey im repeting phase 6 science in three weeks, anyone any tips? really need to get this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tony Grant

I suggest that you do an online revision course for phase 6 google electrical training it is availabel 24/7 and will give you plenty of past paper questions and answers interacively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robb575

yea i tried that last time! didnt help much tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Got any pdf's?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kingden2006

could you email me those phase 4 notes or if anyone else has them could you send them to kingden2006@hotmail.co.uk thanks for any assistance.cheers...:):):)

has anyone got any phase 6 past papers science and craft practice...the ones with the model answers on them..thanks
    i"ve just finished phase 4 and have past papers of science and craft practice,with the model answers...from 2008 and onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

i have loads. but you wont need them phases 6 is piece of piss:D

• Advertisement

has anyone got any past phase 6 notes for science and craft practice i would really appreciate it.cheers

calgary could you send me any phase 6 notes and past papers i you have them anything at all to do with phase 6 thanks.

just wondering has anyone got any phase 6 past notes on electrical science and craft practice,any year at all.thanks

what kind of information is contained in the program of a programmable controller and what is the purpose of this information?
    can anyone answer this and also
    a 400v 50hz 4 pole 3 phase induction motor has a fractional slip of 0.045.calculate the speed of the rotor.?
    can you also show me how you go about this thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

what kind of information is contained in the program of a programmable controller and what is the purpose of this information?
    can anyone answer this and also
    a 400v 50hz 4 pole 3 phase induction motor has a fractional slip of 0.045.calculate the speed of the rotor.?
    can you also show me how you go about this thanks.

To answer your second query.

Motor synchronous speed = f/p
    where f = supply frequency (50Hz)
    where p = pole pairs (4 poles/2 -> 2 pairs)

So we end up with f/p = 50/2 = 25 ns (revolutions per second)
    Or we could also say 25 ns x 60 seconds = 1500 revolutions per minute.

If we are told the fractional slip is 0.045 thats the same as saying 4.5%.
    We can find out how much slip 4.5% is by 1500 rpm x 0.045 = 67.5 rpm

This means from 1500 rpm we are losing 67.5 rpm due to slip so our motor speed is now 1500 rpm - 67.5 rpm = 1432.5 rpm.

You can divide this answer by 60 to find out what it is per second. (23.875 rps) which says for every revolution per second we are losing 1.125 rps due to slippage.

Another way to look at it if you know know the synchronous speed and slip and want to find the fractional slip.

Slip = (Ns - ns)/Ns
    Where Ns = synchronous speed
    ns = slip

(1500 rpm - 67.5 rpm)/ 1500 = 0.955 which is the same as 95.5%
    So our slip is the difference of that figure which is 0.045 which is 4.5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 sparky48

Hi Folks...Does anybody have any up to date Phase 6 Science and Craft Theory Papers.
    Much appreciated if you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

sparky48 wrote: »
    Hi Folks...Does anybody have any up to date Phase 6 Science and Craft Theory Papers.
    Much appreciated if you do
    I got a heap of them, pm me I'll e mail them on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sparky48

Hi kramer1.
    Many thanks for your quick reply.

If you could text me, i will give you my e.mail address

Thanks again

sparky48

• Registered Users Posts: 1 antzz

hi just wondering would any one be able to help me out with some phase 6 science past papers?? any help greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 zazatheone

Anybody have past exam papers from the last few years for electeical science and craft practise

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drsleep

kramer1 wrote: »

Hi I'm just wondering do your past papers have model answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 spuddoorley

i have 30 past exam papers both craft and science. no model answers though.
    could anyone send me model answers

• Registered Users Posts: 23 spuddoorley

did you get any model answers after??
    would be a huge help

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pauly36

kramer1 wrote: »

Hi Kramer1 any chance you could mail me the phase 6 notes or papers you have please. currently in GMIT doing phase 6 the last of version 2 and i done phase 4 way back in 2003 so need to refresh meself and get clued in again, if you have phase 4 notes i would gladly take them aslo if you dont mind. email address <mod edit: can be shared by PM>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

pauly36 wrote: »
    Hi Kramer1 any chance you could mail me the phase 6 notes or papers you have please. currently in GMIT doing phase 6 the last of version 2 and i done phase 4 way back in 2003 so need to refresh meself and get clued in again, if you have phase 4 notes i would gladly take them aslo if you dont mind. email address <mod edit: can be shared by PM>

Not sure I still have them but I'll do my best to dig them out

• Advertisement
Advertisement