Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaeltacht (help!)

• 12-07-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hey,im going to the Gaeltacht in a while,and i was wondering,is it completely full of D4's?! Because im kinda the total opposite of them,and my mates are having second thoughts because they arent sure.
    Also,can you wash your clothes there?! Cos,my suitcase will be pretty full if ya cant!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It might be surprising for you to learn that people outside the Pale go to the Gaeltacht too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

there's usually loadsa boggers too...in fact 50/50 between D4s and boggers
    only jokin, there's usually a mixed bunch in all irish colleges, don't worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

One of the best holidays I ever had was in the Ran na Feirste in Donegal. All kinds of people from lots of different backgrounds, that is what makes it soo much fun. Unfortunately taking up smoking is almost obligatory, try not to though!
    (You should prolly take into account that I went sometime around 1991!)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Cheers! Thanks for replying!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

Buttons_sb wrote:
    Hey,im going to the Gaeltacht in a while,and i was wondering,is it completely full of D4's?! Because im kinda the total opposite of them,and my mates are having second thoughts because they arent sure.

that depends , where are you goin? back in the day i went to I.C. twice on the aran islands, fckin best time of my life..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Where do I move this to?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

When in doubt
    After Hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH. Bad Smods, bad! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Buttons_sb wrote:
    well im going 2 d gaeltacht in a lil while, n rest assured m n my mates are far frm D4 heads!!
    i went a few years ago aswell n der seemed to be a good mixture of ppl!!there was D4 heads but some were actually quite sound!!:eek:
    what one ya goin 2??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

heya! listen dont worry about the whole d4 thing! yes they be loads of them but you'll settel grand! last when me and my mates went we nearly had heart failure at the sight of all them! but we actully mmade great friends with them! some of them are really sound and you get used to the fake accent!! :D so dont worry seriously!my sister just came back a few weeks ago and she loved every single moment of it! shes the complete oppisit like urself and she made millions of d4 mates!! you'll have the time of your life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

People need less Gaeltachts and more spelling classes methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Gaeltacht courses are just like everything else you'll ever do in life; Impossible to avoid all the dickheads but overall most people are sound out. Any Gaeltacht course I was ever on had a good social and geographical mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

It depends where you go OP, I went to a small Irish college in Teelin, Donegal for 5 years. No D4's there. Dosen't matter, its still the best way to spend your summer by a mile, even better if you get a job mar ceannaire, paid to have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LegallyBlonde

Which Gaeltacht are u going to?

I'm from a Gaeltacht and to answer ur question: yes its completely full of D4's!!!!!!!!!

But there are definately some wkd sound ppl around aswell...get in with the locals 'muintir na haite' and u'll learn all d tricks of d trade bout drinkin and craic etc.

u should definately go, its only 3 weeks.
    Be it good or b ad, it will definately be an experience, sometthing 2 laugh about when ur oler if nothing else..GO FOR IT!!!!!

heya! listen dont worry about the whole d4 thing! yes they be loads of them but you'll settel grand! last when me and my mates went we nearly had heart failure at the sight of all them! but we actully mmade great friends with them! some of them are really sound and you get used to the fake accent!! :D so dont worry seriously!my sister just came back a few weeks ago and she loved every single moment of it! shes the complete oppisit like urself and she made millions of d4 mates!! you'll have the time of your life!
    Thank you! I feel much better now!

Thank you all! I'll have to show my mates all this! Im going to one in Glaway,Chiaran,anyone been there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Juicebox

Haha im just back from it and am going back to be a cuntoir this friday!! was so much fun,yes loads of d4's and also K4's(didnt even know they existed) loads of "dubs" brown ones in particular but u just gotta ignore em they rant om about mount anvil and gonzaga or whatever i remember once a guy said "were not superior to everyone else were just better",they didnt speak a word of irish and pissed the **** out of me but thankfully there were sound ppl there too and i made tonnes of friends.There were no d4s in my house,i would have cracked.The funniest thing is when all their mammy and daddys come on the weekend all the d4's come back with bt2 bags and ralph lauren ooohhh the fun we had laughing at em...at least if there are loads of em youll have a break from them at the weekend...theres more pros than cons so just ignore em and youll be fine:D

Awesome! thanks for that!;) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ashley.

Has anybody been to Colaiste Na Bhfiann? Im goin to Ros Muc this summer,iv never been! is the sport good? n is it strict?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I wanted to spend all summer in a Gaeltacht, but college has me off on work placement. I'm sickened :( Hopefully I'll be able to escape for a week or two in july or august.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

ashley. wrote: »
    Has anybody been to Colaiste Na Bhfiann? Im goin to Ros Muc this summer,iv never been! is the sport good? n is it strict?:p

Not if you think Hitler was a nice, calm man

And to be fair I didn't see all that much drinking and smoking in the Gaeltacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

ive just been back from colaiste chirian cura c 08, not that strict i didnt learn much irish ,sport was a bit disorganised, but had a great time there

anyone know of really gud gealtachts for learning d irish and having a gud time at the same time ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

ya my sister went to colaiste na fhiann
    she said it was very strict but really gud 4 learning irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 D4FORLOiiFE

Heyy =]
    Yupp Theres Loads Of D4's In Irishh College!, But There Veryy Nice People. Manyy Stereotype Them As Ignorant, Bitchy People, Not A Bit True! =|
    Irish College Is BRILLANT, The Best 3 Weeks Of My Entiree Loife :D.
    Im Goingg Again Thisss Year After The Exams!
    Colaiste Na Rinne, Cursa C :):D:p

Advertisement