Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(1868-1922) Power in Britain

• 05-12-2003 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

Hey, I want to make a list of the people in power in Britain between 1868 and 1922 and weather they were Liberal or Conservative. I can't find an exact list of who was in power, and when, on the net so I was hoping someone could help me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

just make up any old nonesense and stick "gladstone" every couple of sentances and you be fine.

seriously though, gladstone pretty much ruled british politics in this period, also better give benjamin disreille a mention. thats all i can think of off hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Yeah, they are pretty much the main ones alright but i'm really looking for dates. I want to know who ruled and in what years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm going from memory here so forgive me if I have inaccuracies but :)

[C]Disraeli : Febuary-December 1868
    [L]Gladstone : 1868-1874
    [C]Disraeli : 1874-1880
    [L]Gladstone : 1880-1885
    [L]Gladstone : Feb-June/July[cant remember] 1886
    [L]Gladstone : 1892-1894
    Conservatives : 1894-1905
    [L]Campbell-Bannerman : 1905-1908
    [L]Asquith : 1908-1916
    [L kinda]Lloyd George : 1916-1918
    [C + George's L] : 1918-past 1922

Hope that helps, I cant remember who ran the converservatives during 94-05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

A slight side question. The Tories were the conservatives, as they still are, so I assume that the Whigs were the liberals. Are the modern Lib Dems descended from the Whigs, or were the two parties that formed them both like Labour (i.e. new parties formed during the 20th century)? If the Lib Dems are not descended from the Whigs, what happened to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

To my knowledge, the Liberals/Whigs began to lose power once rise of the labour movement generated a new political cleavage after WWI. The Conservative/Labour parliamentary dynamic pushed the Liberals into third place, where they occupied a balance of power similar to that of Parnell's crowd.

I'm not sure when the Lib Dems emerged but it essentially was the product of a fusion of two parties - the liberals and the democrats. The presence of two tertiary parties in Parliament diminished their oppositional capacity by effectively splitting it in half and they felt it was more productive if they joined forces since they were roughly similar in ideology anyway.

But the left/right cleavage has persisted in the UK to parliament still only has two effective parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

So would the Liberals, who merged with the Democrats in the eighties, have been the decendants of the Whigs? Or did the Whigs actually disappear, and the Liberals were set up as a new party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Originally posted by PHB
    I'm going from memory here so forgive me if I have inaccuracies but :)

[C]Disraeli : Febuary-December 1868
    [L]Gladstone : 1868-1874
    [C]Disraeli : 1874-1880
    [L]Gladstone : 1880-1885
    [L]Gladstone : Feb-June/July[cant remember] 1886
    [L]Gladstone : 1892-1894
    Conservatives : 1894-1905
    [L]Campbell-Bannerman : 1905-1908
    [L]Asquith : 1908-1916
    [L kinda]Lloyd George : 1916-1918
    [C + George's L] : 1918-past 1922

Hope that helps, I cant remember who ran the converservatives during 94-05