Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this our summer?

Options
  • 28-03-2012 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I would bet that the current weather is the best we will see all year. What says you? Anyone hear any long-term forecasts for this summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Going by trends in the past number of years April is the critical month. Bad April gives a better chance of a good summer and visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

No this is not our Summer. Its our Spring.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How can we tell/forecast something that is completely random?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

murpho999 wrote: »
    How can we tell/forecast something that is completely random?
    Completely random? It is possible to predict an overall forecast for a few months ahead you know. And I was only asking if people thought that this current good spell will be the best we have all year, considering the last 5 years of cloudy summers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

omen80 wrote: »
    It is possible to predict an overall forecast for a few months ahead you know.

I think you will see less and less of those type of forecasts! :pac:

I personally think there is very little to link a good or bad spring with a good or bad summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

It may well be our summer.
    Predictions aren't accurate by a long shot this far out but nature is a great leveler I've always found.
    After a dry time comes a wet time etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Only time will tell if this is our summer.
    Just make sure and enjoy the good weather while it lasts whatever time of year we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I would bet that the current weather is the best we will see all year. What says you? Anyone hear any long-term forecasts for this summer?

Long term forecast is, we are still on for summer to be on a Monday in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

blackius wrote: »
    After a dry time comes a wet time etc

Well yeah, but our wet times can last months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

if the sun goes away i will go ape****. seriously tho....the last couple of years we had a great week early in the year and then dire summers. pray this trend doesnt continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Joe Public wrote: »
    Going by trends in the past number of years April is the critical month. Bad April gives a better chance of a good summer and visa versa.

+1

In fact I can't remember the last time we had a poor spring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

This spell has ended in Sligo now. Clouds in the sky and more coming from the North. A few Cloudy dry days with some sunshine but then next week more showery weather. Nothing major but it will be cool and unsettled for at least a week. I think myself we are in for a typical showery April not like the recent ones and temperatures around normal.

Summer will be roasting though :rolleyes:(fantasises)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Completely random? It is possible to predict an overall forecast for a few months ahead you know. And I was only asking if people thought that this current good spell will be the best we have all year, considering the last 5 years of cloudy summers.

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong in your belief that weather can be predicted a few months ahead.

I've heard Evelyn Cusack of Met Eireann on several occasions state they can predict with accuracy up 5 days and then with less accuracy up to 10 days at the very max.

Anything after that is just superstition/Donegal postmen who get lucky if they get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

I remember 1995 was a savage summer. Haven't had heat since then, apart from maybe 2002 and 2006 for a few weeks in those years.
    But the more bad weather years that pass only increase our chances of a good summer - law of averages.
    Hopefully, this year will be the year. If not, then it will improve the odds for next year.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the weather at the minute, tomorrows another day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

murpho999 wrote: »
    I've heard Evelyn Cusack of Met Eireann on several occasions state they can predict with accuracy up 5 days and then with less accuracy up to 10 days at the very max.

<snip>

But for once I think that quote is right, pity Evelyn & Met Eireann don't seem to get it right on the big weather calls (but we've got M.T.)

P.S. it will be a warm summer, I was told by a fisherman from Kerry ;)

Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.
    CHARTER RULES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

My back garden is full of wildlife this week, flys, beetles, lots of wasps, bees, hornets and lots of other little creatures and I have never seen this much activity in previous years so I think somethings up..
    I hope its a nice summer because this might be my last year in my south facing garden...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Joe Public wrote: »

Seems to be the recent trend alright but there were exceptions in history.
    April 1986 for example was a pretty foul and cold month but was followed by the coldest summer on record.
    April 1995 was pretty good overall and was followed by the hot summer. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

No, this is not our Summer. For two reasons, in Summer

(1) The nights will be shorter and warmer
    (2) The days will be longer and (wetter and cooler frown.gif???)

Or we could end up partying like it's 1995 ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

yes summer over , clocks go back one hour on saturday night:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement