Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is this English word in Irish?

Options
  • 24-03-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You could use "ciall", "saíocht" or "eagna", depending on the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd go with saíocht myself.

Is it just the word on its own, or is it part of a phrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Would feasa be applicable. As in bradan feasa the salmon of knowledge.

That'd be the genitive case of the noun "fios".

After that you're into a philosophical argument about the difference between knowledge and wisdom. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Like what Insect overlord said originally, because it's a username I'd go "Ciallmhar", It has the right amount of pretentiousness but yet people will understand the meaning or atleast recognise it as an Irish word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Actually thats a class name "An Bradán Feasa"

Aquila wrote: »
    On its own

"Saíocht" is fine so. "Críonnacht" might be another option for you.

I think there's an issue with using the síniú fada in user-names on Boards now though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

"Saíocht" is fine so...

Saoi (the wise one) might be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Why not go for "Saoi gan locht"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

*double post*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

There are a number of words that can mean wisdom, but both Foclóir Uí Dhónaill (electronic version) and focal.ie give 'críonnacht' as the primary term.

Foclóir Uí Dhónaill gives 'críonnacht' as meaning 'wisdom, prudence, shrewdness, sagacity, thriftiness, maturity, old age'.

The meaning given for 'saíocht' is a bit different: 'learning, erudition, mastery, accomplishment'.

It should be noted that one can be wise without being learned, as wisdom is really about life experience and not necessarily education, in my view.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Like what Insect overlord said originally, because it's a username I'd go "Ciallmhar", It has the right amount of pretentiousness but yet people will understand the meaning or atleast recognise it as an Irish word :)

Personally, I see 'sensible' when I read 'ciallmhar', and I mean that in the boring, predictable and uninteresting sense. But that is just my subjective view of it.

Advertisement