Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus 15.6" Ultra Slim Laptop Intel Core 2 Duo processor e400 from e699.

• 26-05-2011 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Ive had this brand before and never had a problem.

This seems too good to be true.

Asus 15.6” Ultra Slim Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo processor

•Brand: ASUS
    •Type: UL50At Black
    •Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor SU7300 (1.3GHz)
    •Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (Choice of English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Turkish at first boot)
    •Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipset +ICH9M
    •4096MB (2048x2) DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM
    •Display:15.6" Slim LED TFT (1366x768, Color-Shine)
    •Video Graphics & Memory: Intel GMA 4500MHD
    •Hard Drive 320GB (5400rpm)
    •Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi Dual Layer
    •Card Reader: 4 in 1 card reader SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,xD
    •Video Camera: 0.3 Mega Pixel web camera
    •802.11 b/g/n
    •Built-in Altec Lansing® speakers and Microphone
    •SRS Premium Sound
    •Numeric US Keyboard
    •1 x Microphone-in jack
    •1 x Headphone-out jack
    •1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
    •3 x USB 2.0 port(s)
    •1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    •1 x HDMI
    •AC Adapter 19 V DC, 3.42 A, 65W with UK and Euro power cord
    •Battery: 8-cell 4400mAh
    •Delivery: 7 - 10 business days
    •Dimensions: 38.6 x 25.9 x 2.64 cm (W x D x H)
    •Weight: 2,3 kg
    •Legal Warranty: 2 years
    •* 12-hour battery life is measured on average

Is this good value?

What are this crowd like to deal with? Would you recommend them?
    Cheers.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_specs/5716/Asus_156_Ultra_Slim_Laptop_with_Intel_Core_2_Duo_processor_and_Brushed_Aluminum_Eterior/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

You will find quite a few threads on here about Ibood. They are so-so to deal with. Fairly recently they had a good deal on a laptop but then failed to deliver them. I believe they refunded everyone involved.

This laptop you point to has a slightly older low power processor which means it will have an excellent battery life but won't be for high intensity applications. Gaming for instance wouldn't really be an option with this. Browsing, word-processing etc should be fine.

I don't know much about this laptop but the reviews should tell you most of what you need to know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/asus-ul50at-680083/review

"Offering fantastic mobility and connectivity, without greatly sacrificing performance or screen size, the UL50AT is ideal for staying productive on the move. Its poor build quality lets it down, however, so carefully consider what is most important to you before buying.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/asus-ul50at-680083/review#ixzz1NSLlhfyL"

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

This seems like a decent computer which should be fine for web browsing, watching movies and running other normal applications, even games with low requirements. Don't expect this to be super fast on applications though. And it won't be good enough for heavy gaming. If you're on a budget then buy it. For this price this is quite good. Try searching for laptops with core i3 processors. They should be around the €500 mark. Might be worth the extra bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

adrian522 wrote: »
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/asus-ul50at-680083/review

"Offering fantastic mobility and connectivity, without greatly sacrificing performance or screen size, the UL50AT is ideal for staying productive on the move. Its poor build quality lets it down, however, so carefully consider what is most important to you before buying.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/asus-ul50at-680083/review#ixzz1NSLlhfyL"

However that review is over a year old at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Isn't it an unusual processor for a 15'6" laptop? I would have thought it would be better suited to a small laptop, If it was my money I'd hold out for something newer and better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

However that review is over a year old at this point

As is the laptop,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What are this crowd like to deal with? Would you recommend them?
    Cheers.

Are you for real? You've never seen any comments about iBood on BA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the cpu on that laptop is brutally slow, wouldn't recommend it at all just based on that.

i'd be disappointed if i bought a toaster and it only had that cpu! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭dog_pig

vibe666 wrote: »
    the cpu on that laptop is brutally slow, wouldn't recommend it at all just based on that.

i'd be disappointed if i bought a toaster and it only had that cpu! :pac:

The CPU isn't exactly brutally slow; it's got a low clock speed because it's a ULV.

dog_pig wrote: »
    The CPU isn't exactly brutally slow; it's got a low clock speed because it's a ULV.
    not talking about the clock speed, have you seen the benchmarks for that CPU?

it gets a passmark cpu benchmark of 977.

if you compare that to the core i3 380m that you'd get in the (similarly specced) Acer Aspire 5742 which scores 2338 in the same benchmarks that you can get from from ebuyer for £339 stg.

i know passmark isn't the be all and end all of benchmarking, but it's at least a rough comparison of overall performance and that core 2 duo doesn't shape up well at all.

if i was buying a low-mid range laptop, i definitely know where i'd rather put my money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The sole reason for buying this is the ULV processor, however given that the processor in this is at least 2 generations old, and possibly 3 (depending on its revision)- someone somewhere is seriously taking the folk on iBood for a ride trying to shift their old stock......

smccarrick wrote: »
    The sole reason for buying this is the ULV processor, however given that the processor in this is at least 2 generations old, and possibly 3 (depending on its revision)- someone somewhere is seriously taking the folk on iBood for a ride trying to shift their old stock......
    fair enough regarding the ULV CPU, according to the intel spec sheets on both cpu's the i3 has a max TDP of 35W and that core2duo is only 10W, but i can't honestly think of anything i'd want to use it for with so little power, unless you wanted it purely as a word processor for use up a mountain with no access to electricity for long periods.

you're right tho, for that money it's a bit of a pisstake for such an old piece of kit (wikipedia says the CPU is out since Q3 2009) and things have come a long way since then.

go for an i3 and buy an extra battery (or two) and some weightlifting lessons (so you don't notice the extra weight) with the money you'll save. :)

Advertisement