Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammatus clouds spotted...

Options
  • 11-01-2005 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Well since we've had such unusual severe weather so far this year, I was further shocked to spot a mammatus cloud formation around 3pm today (tues) looking S from Blackrock, Co. Louth toward Drogheda and out over the Irish sea.
    Now these clouds are usually associated with tornadic activity. I know we had one hell of a squall (vertical rain) prior to this at around 2.30pm but we certainly had no twisters that I'm aware of.
    I was pissed I had no camera with me (took pic on phone but it sucks) as the low sun was lighting them up great.

mammatus.jpg

Linky

Here's a pic and a link for anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about. I've seen some spectacular ones when I lived in the US but never even heard of them here.
    Maybe Weathercheck can shed some light as to whether we had twisters or even t-storms here today that would account for this since they only form on the underside of the cloudtops.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

they look pretty sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

they look pretty sweet

They weren't quite as spectacular as that. Stupid phone camera made crap of the shot. Honestly, you'd get a better pic from a toddler using MS Paint :rolleyes:
    I'll see if I can find a way to upload it to my comp and tidy it up, but I've no data cable...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Vodafone have a way to SMS them to email via 1745. Ring them to find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

they look beautiful indeed!

Advertisement