Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New RTÉ Weather Craphics

• 26-10-2004 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Not great, are they?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They do have a certain minimalist kitch feel to them, don't they? Not terrible, but I think I preferred the originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The horror!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

"Craphics" I likes it - positive feedback for you DMC!!!! :p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Didn't like them at all, and not as clear
    now where's my drink..................

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

"Craphics" ..... Brilliant ..

I wish I had some more + rep to give out today .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the rain craphic looks like it's raining toothpaste :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

They are a bit bright alright. Some of the others were better. We may get used to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

anyone got any screen grabs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Cremo wrote:
    the rain craphic looks like it's raining toothpaste :rolleyes:

Yea, I thaught it looked like grease dripping off the clouds.

All in all, a terrible set of graphics, they're too bright (ye need sunglasses to watch it) & just look like a cheap & nasty copy of the BBC's weather set. IMO, there was nothing really wrong with the previous set. :confused:

Overall - icon13.gif

BTW, I might post some screen grabs later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Prefer the graphics on TG4 to be honest. And the babes!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Ye wanted some screenshots: :D

weather1.JPG

weather2.JPG

weather3.JPG

weather4.JPG

weather5.JPG

weather6.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They look nice, although the first one could have been more informative, they could have put at least the air pressure on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Me thinks someone has a thing for Karina Buckley... á la spin the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I preferred the old magnetic clouds and Mr. Sunshine they used to stick onto a map.

It had a certain "we don't care for your 'puters" thing going.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

They are not good. BBC-like, definitely, but also far too 'bright'.

Much preferred the previous ones, although even then the rain
    always looked like snow.

TG4's (or even TV3 now) are definitely superior.

Nice to see RTE continuing to add in the outline of the west coast
    of Britain, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Please keep the comments coming and expand a bit on what you like/dislike about the new graphics.

If a good body of comments are generated I'll make sure they're read by those who can act on the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Do you know the way they always show a full sun when the day is meant to be totally clear? I've always thought they could do something similar for nights and have a starry graphic or even have the appropriate phases of the moon, if they wanted to be really accurate. The starry background would be better and all-purpose though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Graphics definitely look too bright. Like some one did them with Powerpoint. Don;t look professional at all. Also the rain clouds look just like jelly fish... or maybe it's just the drugs I'm on!

Still reckon that the TG4 graphics are better. Also like the fact that they seem to, like TV3 weather, do the forecast on a regional basis. Something that RTE might consider doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

DapperGent wrote:
    Please keep the comments coming and expand a bit on what you like/dislike about the new graphics.

If a good body of comments are generated I'll make sure they're read by those who can act on the feedback.

Hi Dapper,

Just to expand on my thoughts, the sea background is gone from dark blue to a very light shade, which looks cheery in the face of stormy weather.

Again, like most things, it seems the BBC often have it right.
    I never really liked the way RTÉ showed the rain clouds like on the "This Afternoon" pic above; it kinda looks to complicated and not totally clear wheather its dark or light cloud, or rain and hail. To be frank, on the pic above, they look like jellyfish!

The BBC weather symbols are simple and clear. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/features/symbols.shtml (with unexpected Carol Kirkwood!) As celticfc said, it does look like a cheap and nasty copy of the BBC's excellent package. Why not go the whole hog?

Oh, and thanks for all the nice rep for the "Craphics" comment :) I was going to write "crap graphics" but somehow it came out like that! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

me and Cerebus must be on the same drugs.. jellifish indeed. :D:D

Even the cloud graphics on www.met.ie are better than whats on RTÉ.

nat-today.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I dunno, I think they look fine. I also think they should include the pressure steps on the isobars.

I hate the way the current trend is to really 'dumb-down' the weather for people. I realise that the majority of people just want to know the basics - like is it going to rain and should I bring an umbrella to work, but there are others, specifically sailors, pilots, and even farmers who appreciate a good detailed, scientific forecast. TV3's weather for example is a complete joke, and I refuse to watch it, never mind pay any heed to it, and it's not because Martin King interupts it to wish happy birthday to someone either. On several occassions I have been looking at the synoptic chart for the day and then see the TV3 weather wondering how the hell they came up with that forecast. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hate the way the current trend is to really 'dumb-down' the weather for people. I realise that the majority of people just want to know the basics - like is it going to rain and should I bring an umbrella to work, but there are others, specifically sailors, pilots, and even farmers who appreciate a good detailed, scientific forecast.

Totally agree, RTE (and the rest) should have at least one full-on hardcore weather forecast slot lasting maybe 5 mins so we can be satisfied.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Don't thay have the farming weather on a Sunday anymore?

They do but it is an outline for the week and with the nature of forecasts can only be a guideline.
    Specefic forecasts are only accurate within 24hrs and even then mother nature is unpredictable.

I also think this trend towards the dumbing down of the forcasts is lamentable.
    It hasn't happened on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yea, it is a joke, and some gobsh1te took a right fistful of our tax-money to splash the craphics on our TV, that we have to pay more tax to watch..

Me not a happy camper.

Would Eircom sponsorship not have paid for that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sleipnir wrote:
    I preferred the old magnetic clouds and Mr. Sunshine they used to stick onto a map.

It had a certain "we don't care for your 'puters" thing going.....
    I knew a guy who shared digs with one of the weather forecasters, one night he forgot the heavy rain symbols (black clouds) and all he had was the white ones and had to wing it with "there's a good chance those showers would turn heavy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

LOL!

If it dosn't rain between the showers it'll be fine kinda wing - yeah?

LOL :D:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont like it anyway. Looks like a BBC Rip... Hrm.

- Sully

• Advertisement
Advertisement