Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed notifications

Options
  • 12-04-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondered whats going on with delayed notifications I'm receiving. Over the past week I'm getting notifications from various threads late at night and days after posts have been made and indeed read. Just last night I got four and just now on a post I'd actually read last Saturday.

Thanks

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks Dempo1, we're aware of the issue and were looking into it last week. So far no issues have been discovered to cause the delays but we'll take another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks Niamh, just thought I would mention it, Just the oddest thing :)

These notifications continue, just recieved another one from a thread closed a few days ago.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i have been having the same issue also but it seems to be back to normal for me now.
    will keep an eye on things for the next day or so though incase the issue returns.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Thanks end of the road

Sadly I can not report issue resolved, another one at 1.30am this morning, I've had to resort to moving these notifications into spam folder.

As explained, when clicking the un follow link in emails (even though I'm not following thread), a Web page opens with error message.

This issue seems to relate to specific threads I've either followed or posted on previously.

Thanks Dempo and sorry it's still happening. I'd ask you not to mark these emails as spam as this will inevitably lead to your email address being blacklisted with us and you won't get any notification emails in future. It can also lead to us being blacklisted with our email service provider if too many people mark our mails as spam. Will reply here as soon as we have any update.

Thanks Dempo and sorry it's still happening. I'd ask you not to mark these emails as spam as this will inevitably lead to your email address being blacklisted with us and you won't get any notification emails in future. It can also lead to us being blacklisted with our email service provider if too many people mark our mails as spam. Will reply here as soon as we have any update.

No problem, I'll stop marking them as spam, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i got 1 such email this morning but no more so far.
    all other subscribe emails are as normal.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm still getting loads of them. Since about last thursday, 8 of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Same issue here.

I got 3 daily updates from the same forum this morning, updates from each day prior to the 20th, 21st and 22nd.
    I also seem to be getting very delayed updates to some I have set to instantly update me.
    For example one thread updated at 07.45 and I got an email at 13.37 (weather update)

8 over night, this is just absurd, not only am I getting notifications from threads I've unfollowed but also from 2 that are actually closed. Then I've noticed I'm NOT actually getting notifications from threads I do follow. Surely I'm not alone in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

It hasn't gone away

( sort of weird getting a tranch of notifications that are a couple of days old :D )

An example of unwanted notifications, please note the times of some coming in. Can and will this be resolved?

As explained not a single notification that came in yesterday, approx 15 were from threads I CURRENTLY follow, some from posts days old. In addition and ironically, I'm NOT getting notifications from threads I'm actually following.And as previously mentioned some from threads closed.

Screen shot as a sample but this is going on daily and for almost 3 weeks now.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've had this for a while now. Also can't unsubscribe from some threads. I've reported the old emails before. It's making boards unusable for me. I'm going to have to take some drastic action soon. I always filtered forums emails to a non essential folder. But the issue is every other email I click on is an old email. So I can't use boards. At least not on this account....

Guys I am really sorry, we are very short handed and haven't had enough time to devote to this issue.

Beauf, is the issue that you cannot unsubscribe from the link in the emails or you cannot unsubscribe from threads at all?

Guys I am really sorry, we are very short handed and haven't had enough time to devote to this issue.

Beauf, is the issue that you cannot unsubscribe from the link in the emails or you cannot unsubscribe from threads at all?

Subscription.

Its random. Sometimes it works.
    Sometimes it seems to work, but then starts again weeks after.
    Sometimes it never works.

If there's a pattern, I don't see it. Maybe its because I've stated to subscribe and unsubscribe many times for the same thread. Party because of this issue. Maybe its compounding it.

NP.

Its random. Sometimes I can unsubscribe, sometimes I can't. Sometimes I think I have, but it starts up again days or week or so later.
    Its not new posts. Its old posts that I'm getting new notifications for. That I already had notifications for days or weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've had this, the email arrived about 3 weeks after the initial copy arrived - thought I'd got banned a second time by the same mod for the same forum :)

I've had this, the email arrived about 3 weeks after the initial copy arrived - thought I'd got banned a second time by the same mod for the same forum :)

Hmm doubling up on notifications is a new addition, I'll see if Dave can set aside some time to look at this. Thanks all and sorry about the hassle.

• Advertisement

I've deleted all my subs from my account. Still getting emails.

Sadly after trying some potential solutions within control panel, nothing I've done has worked, infact it's worse, bombarded with notifications last night from threads I no longer follow.

I can't get my head around this, I've been on Boards.ie since 2010 and this issue only started about 4 weeks ago.

I do appreciate it's being looked into, but I'm nearing closing account as its become very disruptive. My genuine concern now will this problem persist if I close account, these notifications are being generated from somewhere, the problem is were. As I've explained, on going notifications on threads I did follow but no longer do & from posts weeks old it's just bizzare.

And worth pointing out again, the unfollow link in notification emails is not working on these unwanted notifications and yet works on say threads I've just joined briefly. Then after a few days, weeks threads I successfully unfollowed then get caught up in this perplexing issue.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,860 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah same

I am getting notifications 3 or 4 days after posts were made

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Same here. Just now @ 12:02 I got a notification of a post made yesterday @ 12:56 and I'd already read that post and its follow-up. Yes, while signed in.

That's almost a 24 hour delay there.

I've also experienced a handful of notifications from another thread that I've unfollowed days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Had this issue at the start of the year where I was receiving no emails for a good month. Boards finally got it sorted.

In the last week or so, notifications are playing up again. Have had no daily emails for the last few days and one day last week, I had 5 or 6 emails arrive in one day that were meant to be delivered each morning on the previous days.

Anyone know what is going on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Still getting these delayed responses too, I'm having to unsubscribe to threads I actively like to follow. It's quite annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Same issue here, with similar experiences to Limbo123 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

For the record, apart from getting repeats of notifications that I got a few days earlier, when I get a new email notification for the genuine last post on a subscribed thread, the link in the email is bringing me to a post from a few days ago, rather than the last post that was quoted in the notification email.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

While I am getting up to date notifications my inbox is getting filled with notifications for posts a few days old, about a month now, sound like the above problems and is still happening.

• Advertisement

I just gave up, went to control panel and stopped all email notifications until this issue resolved. Might not suit everyone but it's certainly stopped all this bizarre, delayed and unwanted notifications. I can still check in easily on threads I'm following on the touch site (mobile), or just check back in on find all posts by myself.

Advertisement