Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Viewings

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KBH2020

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I actual wish more EAs did that.
    It would reduce the number of people entering a bidding war with no funds to sustain their offers.

I agree in one sense but as they are acting for the seller I think it is a bit much to have to show them exactly how much you can afford. A recent estate agent asked us for this proof when we were bidding against someone at the very end of a bidding war. I was happy to show the full proof of funds at this stage. At the same time I also felt a bit miffed that if others had been bidding without the funds then we easily could have only found out at this stage (or not have found out at all). However with the way the market is currently..I am inclined to not doubt any bids, no matter how crazy they seem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I never understand people bidding with money they don't have . What would be going through their head

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don’t need to show how much you can bid, proof only that you have the funds to pay for what you are bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

KBH2020 wrote: »
    I agree in one sense but as they are acting for the seller I think it is a bit much to have to show them exactly how much you can afford. A recent estate agent asked us for this proof when we were bidding against someone at the very end of a bidding war. I was happy to show the full proof of funds at this stage. At the same time I also felt a bit miffed that if others had been bidding without the funds then we easily could have only found out at this stage (or not have found out at all). However with the way the market is currently..I am inclined to not doubt any bids, no matter how crazy they seem!

I agree, I hate showing the AE how much I can afford and how high I can go with the bidding. Then again I did try to offer more that i could afford and the EA said nothing about it, which made me question the entire bidding process.

Dav010 wrote: »
    You don’t need to show how much you can bid, proof only that you have the funds to pay for what you are bidding.

To enter the bidding you need to show proof of funds in and around the asking price.
    After that you can go crazy with your offers, the EA will say nothing about it, which is a bit unethical in my opinion and unfair on other bidders

• Advertisement

I never understand people bidding with money they don't have . What would be going through their head

competition and bitterness for being outbid

competition and bitterness for being outbid

Yeah crazy when you think about it . When I'm outbid it's forgot about and I move on . Wouldn't enter my head to be bidding out of spite

I agree, I hate showing the AE how much I can afford and how high I can go with the bidding. Then again I did try to offer more that i could afford and the EA said nothing about it, which made me question the entire bidding process.

Yeah we were the same, we would have been about 5k short of our final bid and said we will be getting a gift from family for the balance. They said nothing. Someone outbid us so it didn't matter but it made me think the term "proof" is loose enough, once you have in or around the amount.

Yeah I agree, the main reason I can think of is they are hoping to be able to convince the bank to give an exemption or hoping they can get more money from family, but maybe it's often bitterness..

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Yeah we were the same, we would have been about 5k short of our final bid and said we will be getting a gift from family for the balance. They said nothing. Someone outbid us so it didn't matter but it made me think the term "proof" is loose enough, once you have in or around the amount.

I suppose if you're the winning bidder, you've spent 10k more than necessary because the under bidder was allowed to bid but didn't have proof of funds. That's the rub - bidding outside your budget just benefits the seller

fago wrote: »
    I suppose if you're the winning bidder, you've spent 10k more than necessary because the under bidder was allowed to bid but didn't have proof of funds. That's the rub - bidding outside your budget just benefits the seller

True, the estate agents are likely willing to turn a bit of a blind eye at this stage if they have 2 or 3 bidding parties right to the end as the odds are good that the party with the most funds (and proof) will win anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What is it that the estate agents are actually looking for when they ask for proof?
    Is the redacted AIP ok when they ask for proof before viewings?

I saw on the auctioneera website they have listed out what is accepted under their request for proof (to make a bid) https://www.auctioneera.ie/what-is-proof-of-funds-when-buying-property

They are saying provide a cash balance,a bank statement/screenshot and AIP or a letter from bank/solicitor confirming you have the funds. It seems OTT to have to show anyone exactly how much money you have!!

Our broker advised that if required they would send an email on our behalf stating we had sufficient funds without disclosing what amount was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I can't understand how agents are allowed to accept bids from people who don't have the money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

It's possible that this topic will be covered by RTE news this evening. Saw a reporter interviewing an EA outside a for sale house earlier. Wonder what the spin will be!

RichardAnd wrote: »
    I can't understand how agents are allowed to accept bids from people who don't have the money for it.

You see posts here every day saying they wont show estate agent how much they have

And if forced to send AiP letter they will black out the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It's possible that this topic will be covered by RTE news this evening. Saw a reporter interviewing an EA outside a for sale house earlier. Wonder what the spin will be!

Claire Byrne later.

But that would involve watching Claire Byrne which I cant do.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Claire Byrne later.

But that would involve watching Claire Byrne which I cant do.

Cheers. Now. To watch CB or not? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'll watch it but purely because Ciarán from Crazy House Prices is on it.

You see posts here every day saying they wont show estate agent how much they have

And if forced to send AiP letter they will black out the amount

To me, this is bizarre behaviour. Why bother going to such trouble if one doesn't have the funds to back up a bid? It's like applying for a job you know you won't get.

RichardAnd wrote: »
    To me, this is bizarre behaviour. Why bother going to such trouble if one doesn't have the funds to back up a bid? It's like applying for a job you know you won't get.

I think it's the dynamic of bidding wars. People enter the bidding with an idea of how much they can afford, once that limit is passed they get bitter and add an extra offer or two just to inflate, knowing that they wont get the property anyway

I just got a call today from an agency asking me if I want to increase my offer for a property that appears already sold on myhome. I pulled ot of that bidding months ago LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭slystallone

Would rural estate agents tend to do viewings on Saturdays?

• Advertisement

I think it's the dynamic of bidding wars. People enter the bidding with an idea of how much they can afford, once that limit is passed they get bitter and add an extra offer or two just to inflate, knowing that they wont get the property anyway

Eh, bitterness only comes back to bite later on. Successful people tend not to wallow. Besides, why bother giving the estate agent a higher commission!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

Would rural estate agents tend to do viewings on Saturdays?

Should do yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

anyone else surprised at the lack of houses up for sale on daft? i thought with viewings allowed again we'd see more houses pop up for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

deise121 wrote: »
    anyone else surprised at the lack of houses up for sale on daft? i thought with viewings allowed again we'd see more houses pop up for sale

Same here but I'd imagine they're still dealing with the backlog of the last few weeks when there were few/no viewings. I did have a viewing this morning and the EA mentioned how things were crazy busy at the moment so I'd say the last thing they want is to be adding new properties for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

deise121 wrote: »

Might just be sellers holding on. The tide is raising everything. ...if I hold on another 6 months might get an extra 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

Might just be sellers holding on. The tide is raising everything. ...if I hold on another 6 months might get an extra 50k

It’s relative. Sellers have to buy their next property to live in (in most cases). Doesn’t matter if they get €50k in 6 months, their next property will also be up by €50k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Green Mile wrote: »
    It’s relative. Sellers have to buy their next property to live in (in most cases). Doesn’t matter if they get €50k in 6 months, their next property will also be up by €50k

Doesnt change the attitude. If prices are flying up as they are most would hold on.

Advertisement