Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting "A" License from a "B" Full License

Options
  • 03-05-2021 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello all.

I've spent the last few days reading most of the pinned posts about licenses but they seem to be a bit outdated with all these 2010 and 2013 changes so I'm hoping someone can help me out here seeing as most other pages are not helping either.

I currently hold a Full B Driving License for 10 years now and am looking to get the "A" License. I am 30 years old. Below a few questions:

1. Do I need to still do the Driver Theory Test or is this not required as I already have a full license?
    2a. Do I need to source my own bike in order to complete IBT and the test or can the ADI provide this for me?
    2b. Would you recommend that I think about getting my own one or avail of theirs and get my own after?
    3. Is the 25kWh restriction still applicable? I am seeing opposing information in some sites...
    4. I assume that I will have to oblige with the L plates but are N plates also required or will my B License experience be taken in lieu as I am seeing in some sites?

I'm really hoping some of ye can help me out here with some answers to any of the above - it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

1. Yes

2a. Yes, the ADI have a bike
    2b. You’ll need to provide some gear yourself, helmet gloves and I think boots. The ADI MIGHT provide the rest.

3. You’re 30. Direct access is available and advisable. Go for the full A licence

4. You’ll need to wear the L tabard until you pass your test. After that you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moldi

1. Yes

2b. You’ll need to provide some gear yourself, helmet gloves and I think boots. The ADI MIGHT provide the rest.

3. You’re 30. Direct access is available and advisable. Go for the full A licence

4. You’ll need to wear the L tabard until you pass your test. After that you should be ok.

Thanks so much for the info knucklehead6!

In relation to 2, would you recommend getting my own bike before or using whatever they have (if they do)?

About 3, if I go for the full A, does that mean that I can run on any bike throughout my Learning Permit and Novice time without any consideration for power output?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

moldi wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the info knucklehead6!

In relation to 2, would you recommend getting my own bike before or using whatever they have (if they do)?

About 3, if I go for the full A, does that mean that I can run on any bike throughout my Learning Permit and Novice time without any consideration for power output?

With regard to (2) You won’t be legally able to drive a bike until you have your IBT done. Probably best to leave buying one until after

More experienced lads will be able to answer the follow on for 3, but I’d say the deciding factor would be insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

'A' bike for test must be greater than 50kW, >595cc and above 175KG

Id recommend using your ibt instructors bike before buying. Nice to get seat time before making up your mind about what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

1. Yes

Are you sure they won't need to wear the N tabard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Because he already holds a full license in another category for more than 2 years he doesn't have to wear an N tabard. It isn't vehicle class-specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are you sure they won't need to wear the N tabard?

Not needed. I passed my bike test in 2019, didn’t need an N tabard as it wasn’t my first full licence, which was well over 2 years old at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You already have all the answers. In relation to the follow up question on 3, I presume you're confusing the system slightly, an A permit doesn't have any restrictions, but it's advisable to get something sensible and suitable for the test. I'd echo the advice on renting a bike from your instructor, they'll be able to give you some purchase advice and you'll know more about the type of bike you want after doing the IBT.

Thanks so much all!

You've really helped a confused soul here! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SantaClaw

Also keep in might that the A licence allows you to ride any bike. Getting an insurance quote that isn't costing an arm and a leg is a different thing. Before buying anything always get a quote for the insurance. Especially if it is on the sporty side of things.

• Advertisement

SantaClaw wrote: »
    Also keep in might that the A licence allows you to ride any bike. Getting an insurance quote that isn't costing an arm and a leg is a different thing. Before buying anything always get a quote for the insurance. Especially if it is on the sporty side of things.

At the risk of derailing this a bit, what ballpark would insurance be for a 700cc motorbike? Definitely something I have not seriously looked into yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Carol Nash have an online quote system (It's a full quote-and-purchase-cover set up so the quotes are more than just a rough estimate). Stick in your details and you can then keep amending the Bike details to see what's affordable or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Carol Nash have an online quote system (It's a full quote-and-purchase-cover set up so the quotes are more than just a rough estimate). Stick in your details and you can then keep amending the Bike details to see what's affordable or not.

That's interesting. Last year I bought a CBR600F4 with thoughts of doing IBT and getting a licence. However no-one would quote and then covid etc. so I just parked it. But for the craic I put my details in the CN online system and got a quote on the CBR of 490 euro. Might investigate going for the A licence when things start opening up again.

Advertisement