Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2000 Guineas

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Torn between Thunder Moon and Mutasaabeq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Lucky Vega!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Like Chindit, amazed he is still the price he is tbh. Very good 2yo, felt he didn't perform on soft in Dewhurst in last run. Won the Greenham a shade cosily when far from 100%, Richard Hannon indicating there was plenty of improvement to work on, and will love extra furlong of Guineas. Actually backed him at 16/1 last year, not much less than that now and great EW chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Hannon mentioned he was worried about the undulations of Newmarket for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thunder moon for me. His performance in the national just sticks in my mind the way he picked up when he finally got out. He came there swinging in the dewhurst as well and looked the winner but I think the soft ground might have blunted him a bit. Back on good to firm ground tomorrow I think he will come out on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

The Mig wrote:
    Hannon mentioned he was worried about the undulations of Newmarket for him

Fair point, just seen that. Might be an issue, still think horse is overpriced though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Pretty much anything could win so a speculative loose change b365 ew extra

Devilwala

90/1 6 places
    70/1 7 places
    35/1 8 places

Beckett yard in tremendous form. His last 10 runners have finished 1231711222.
    Devilwala was only a neck behing Thunder Moon in the Dewhurst and lost a shoe on his reappearance so can forgive him for that run.

gazza1 wrote: »
    Pretty much anything could win so a speculative loose change b365 ew extra

Devilwala

90/1 6 places
    70/1 7 places
    35/1 8 places

Beckett yard in tremendous form. His last 10 runners have finished 1231711222.
    Devilwala was only a neck behing Thunder Moon in the Dewhurst and lost a shoe on his reappearance so can forgive him for that run.

I did not know such place/ew terms existed in 15/16 runner races :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Battleground Wembley RF for me

Lanfranco for A P Pour Moi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

I did not know such place/ew terms existed in 15/16 runner races :)

Well there you go. It can be useful in races like this.
    GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭deeks

Very little exchange confidence behind Wembley. Can be backed at bigger than 6/1. Also concerning that even though he’s ran well in a number of big races after 6 starts he only has a Roscommon maiden win to his name. Thunder Moon makes most appeal of those at the top of the market and that’s where my hard earned will rest but in what looks a very open race with no real standout performer I like the chances of Mystery Smiles to sneak into a place at 150/1 so will have a speculative ew punt there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Mystery smiles 100/1 5 places skybet

Sylvester thinks he should be 33s

https://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/zoom-room-2000-guineas/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Keeping it simple. Wembley has the turn of foot and staying power to get there. That will do me.

Love the other two O'Brien horses but not sure today is the target for either of them.

tryfix wrote: »
    Keeping it simple. Wembley has the turn of foot and staying power to get there. That will do me.

Love the other two O'Brien horses but not sure today is the target for either of them.

Would Thunder moon being by Zoffany turn you off him? They don't seem to be as profilic at 3

Would Thunder moon being by Zoffany turn you off him? They don't seem to be as profilic at 3

Not at all, Zoffany himself was a very good 3yo and Joseph is a great trainer who can keep them going. Wembley has more scope but Thunder Moon has the better trainer.

From a breeding point of view Battleground is the one. Galileo is broodmare sire of 4 of the last 7 Guineas winners, Battleground has speed and War Fronts love Good to Firm ground. Frankie and Ballydoyle haven't linked up too effectively though which is a downer.

gazza1 wrote: »
    Well there you go. It can be useful in races like this.
    GL

Thanks gaz....

Will have to open up a few more accounts.... Them 50/1 shots I back @ 4 places a fifth that come 5th or 6th would still be profitable at 33s or 25s with 5, or 6 places..

Good to know. Appreciated ta :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Backed Lucky Vega on the BF exchange ante post market during the week. The bet isn't showing on the current market though- i.e. no liability figures showing or cash out option.
    I'm almost sure for previous instances my ante post bets have carried over to the new market. Is this not the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

tryfix wrote: »
    Not at all, Zoffany himself was a very good 3yo and Joseph is a great trainer who can keep them going. Wembley has more scope but Thunder Moon has the better trainer.

From a breeding point of view Battleground is the one. Galileo is broodmare sire of 4 of the last 7 Guineas winners, Battleground has speed and War Fronts love Good to Firm ground. Frankie and Ballydoyle haven't linked up too effectively though which is a downer.

Interesting. You're saying Joseph is better than Aidan?

The latter is only the most successful trainer in the 212 year history of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lucky Vega for me ew

Think it will go very close here.

• Advertisement

Mon Frankie!

What a race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Final field out today.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/38/newmarket/2021-05-01/777451/

Poetic Flare at 20/1 stands out as the value to me. Won his trial, has the pedigree of a Guineas winner. Ran poorly in the Dewhurst, though to me it didn't look like he handled the soft ground.

Nice one Francie you had the grand national a few weeks out and now the 2000 Guineas you are a hero!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The state of O'Briens horses in that.
    No great loss anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Lucky Vega for me ew

Think it will go very close here.

Foley looked weak enough on it.

Final field out today.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/38/newmarket/2021-05-01/777451/

Poetic Flare at 20/1 stands out as the value to me. Won his trial, has the pedigree of a Guineas winner. Ran poorly in the Dewhurst, though to me it didn't look like he handled the soft ground.

Some Shout!

Itziger wrote: »

The latter is only the most successful trainer in the 212 year history of the race.

You know where you stand with Joseph who is purely a racehorse trainer, he gets them fit and tries to win whatever races he runs them in. Aidan does something a bit different.

Aidan produces Black type for a breeding operation. You simply don't know what he's up to when he's running a few. Are they ready to run or just out to get sharpened up for the next assignment?

From a punters point of view Aidan is a nightmare, unless you can read his mind as it were. Joseph is a dream trainer for punters, his runners usually try their hardest and are often fit enough to outrun similarly rated horses.

So what happened in the 2,000?

The first 3 were drawn 4, 3, 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Itziger wrote: »

He represents by far the most successful breeding operation in the history of the race also, which does help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The time looks to be pretty quick, even for conditions with firm in the description. First three horses will definitely go on to win more races, thought Lucky Vega in particular ran a cracker and will come on from that run.

Thunder Moon was shocking, looks like the curse of horses foaled in May strikes again.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    He represents by far the most successful breeding operation in the history of the race also, which does help.

In fairness to Aidan his record in the 2,000 is staggering. Would any other trainer have gotten any more out of Aidan's 2,000 runners, don't think so, but then you look at his record outside of the Classics and there's a lot of headscratching to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Not knocking Aidan's ability at all, but Galileo is all over the 2000 guineas the past decade regardless of trainer so it definitely helps getting to run 3 or 4 of his offspring every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Foley looked weak enough on it.

Yea, seems horse was capable of more if forcefully asked. Some horses need guidance to give their all.

Advertisement