Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have car insurance groups?

Options
  • 15-03-2021 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I was getting comparison quotes using Chill.ie and I've found that there is very little difference in the prices for insuring myself on something like a low-mileage 2013 Honda Civic 1.6 diesel valued at €10k (usually around group 15 in UK) and a low-mileage 2013 Dacia Sandero 1.5 diesel valued at €6k (Usually group 10 or under) as both are coming in around £500-550.

I was shocked as I would've assumed that a Sandero would be significantly cheaper to insure than a Civic so this has left me a little confused. I even tried quoting for an higher mileage Toyota Corolla 1.4 diesel from 2013, a low mileage Kia Ceed 1.6 diesel from 2013 and all quotes are in the €500-550 kind of range so perhaps that is kind of standard car insurance price for a man in his 30's regardless of what model of car I drive?

I am originally from Northern Ireland so perhaps car insurance works differently down here in the South? Is there no such thing as groups? I also found that my prices would lower slightly if I added my girlfriend to the policy, even though she has only held a licence for 6 years (compared to my 13 years) but perhaps my premiums were lowered because she has lived in the Republic longer than me?

I am a civil servant working for a government department so perhaps there is further discounts that I should be looking to avail of? I've heard that sometimes there can be better rates for public sector workers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I've no idea if we've groups like the UK. I remember seeing a UK magazine year's ago with different cars and the groups they are in, but we seem to be different over here. Someone told be before we had 5 groups or so not the 20 groups the UK has. No idea how true that is.

An older civic would be dear to insure as they were seen as high risk, the newer versions are no longer desired by young people so the risk has gone down. Any of the cars you mentioned aren't fast and probably not stolen much so maybe the risk is just low.

I got a cheaper quote for a Nissan Gtr than I'm paying for an e92 M3. How unbelievable is that. The cheapest Gtr would be double the price of my car and a hell of a lot quicker, and certainly more desirable to steal if possible, but there isn't many in Ireland so they seem cheap to insure.

Adding your partner does drop insurance over here if they've a full license for a few years. Increasing your excess and play around with the value of the car (there was a thread here a week ago or so about how to get cheaper insurance).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭KJK1LL3R

If insuring a car now at the moment, would it make more sense to just take out short-term 3-6 month insurance policy in the hopes that the cheaper rates will be rolled out later in the year?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0412/1209371-motor-insurance-costs/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

KJK1LL3R wrote: »
    If insuring a car now at the moment, would it make more sense to just take out short-term 3-6 month insurance policy in the hopes that the cheaper rates will be rolled out later in the year?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0412/1209371-motor-insurance-costs/

You generally can't take out short term insurance, it's the full year and then you can reclaim partial refund when you cancel but it never works out in your favour as a proportion of what the policy was from the outset. I'd expect a max of 10-15% discount from that being rolled out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Groups exist for sure but aren't public. I've no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Groups exist for sure but aren't public. I've no idea why.

Groups 1-50 similar to that on parkers.co.uk but Irish system for Axa for example have recoding rates based on car reg that acknowledges
    Sold original source
    Irish / uk/n.irl (Grey import) or EU (left hand drive) or Japan import ( availability or not of parts for repairs/theft damage even window glass relevant)
    current nct
    road tax status Y/N/Commercial or Taxi-Psv
    previous owners -1st 2nd etc or freq changes(3 in a month as maybe family swapping to get around road tax arrears would raise regs flag)
    previous accident damage recorded (Cat A,B,C,D,S etc)
    red flags(NSR) off their own solus system)

That’s is why reg number is always best to use instead of manually choosing car yourself assuming ‘surely the rates can’t differ too much’

• Advertisement
Advertisement