Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Championship Qualifiers 2021

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

dougm1970 wrote: »
    did anyone see the brown robert wilkins potted ?

Where he's cueing over the black? That whole clearance was superb, lost cue ball couple of times but kept pulling out the pots. Great black too. And 4-5 down at the time too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mark Allen voicing opposition to White’s tour card being renewed. I can’t disagree with him. It’s. A commercial decision rather then a sporting one.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/2021/0411/1209193-mark-allen-jimmy-white-wildcard-decision-is-shocking/

I wonder about why white is staying on the tour though. He’s a bloke with pretty well documented substance abuse problems. Maybe being on tour with the focus and discipline of practice is part of how he keeps on the wagon. It might be about much more than the snooker, or how many games he wins or loses, for him.

Fair play to mark allen for that i say. Whether you agree or not, there's a distinct lack of players calling things out on tour, for fear of upsetting the applecart and picking up ludicrous fines. I doubt he's speaking solely for himself there.

Another win for Bai Langning today, against Ben Woollaston this time, been impressed with this fella this week.

Altogether, 8 chinese players have played in R3 and all 8 have won. They had 19 at the start of week and 12 still standing and that includes 3 all chinese encounters. Remains to be seen how many actually reach the crucible but thats been one of the stories of the week for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I see Jordon Brown has been defeated in the deciding frame. Thing have gone a bit pear-shaped for him since winning the Welsh Open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Re Jimmy, well Trump did say last week that snooker was looking too much to the past , which is perhaps a more diplomatic way of alluding to the tour cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fair play to mark allen for that i say. Whether you agree or not, there's a distinct lack of players calling things out on tour, for fear of upsetting the applecart and picking up ludicrous fines. I doubt he's speaking solely for himself there.

I'm all for a bit of dissent, but it's the same for every sport really. People can't speak their minds fully in football either about refs/VAR etc. It's actually a wider societal issue, a game like snooker isn't going to change that as we know.
    We know that sometimes the powers that be have to make these kind of decisions, and it's not going to go to a vote and please everyone.

I'm all for a bit of dissent, but it's the same for every sport really. People can't speak their minds fully in football either about refs/VAR etc. It's actually a wider societal issue, a game like snooker isn't going to change that as we know.
    We know that sometimes the powers that be have to make these kind of decisions, and it's not going to go to a vote and please everyone.

I dont follow football much anymore tbh, so i cant draw that comparison but happy to take your word for it. The thing about snooker is, it has a low enough profile these days so, outside of a small elite, we dont get to hear much from players and what theyre feeling or experiencing anymore. I make no comment on allen or his views, but if that's what he's thinking, them I'm just glad to hear it. Same reason i scroll through rob milkins twitter feed every now and again, because rob isnt afraid to speak his mind when he's in the mood. MJW obviously another, i see him having a go about the white wild card too. Purely as a fan i want to understand what these guys are thinking.

6-0 win for Sam Craigie. I remember seeing him play some absolutely astonishing snooker last year. He didn't back it up with great performances after that and he's ranked 58 at the moment. He was absolutely top notch that day and I'd love to see him in the world championships if he's on good form.

• Advertisement

6-0 win for Sam Craigie. I remember seeing him play some absolutely astonishing snooker last year. He didn't back it up with great performances after that and he's ranked 58 at the moment. He was absolutely top notch that day and I'd love to see him in the world championships if he's on good form.

Good player sam and comes across a nice bloke. I'm astonished by that result today, expected it to be a close vafaei win tbh, but he's a talented player no question and love to see him make the crucible. Zhao Xintong up next for him, should be good contest.

Carter comes through 6-4 against Pang Junxu. Carter actually played quite well against a dangerous opponent. If i had to pick one name to follow for the future, it would be Pang by a margin. Love his temperament, got plenty of bottle and you cant teach that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think Allen should worry about his own game. The reason he makes the paydays he does now is because of people like White and Hendry who brought excitement and attention to snooker.

But I can't stand Allen so what do I know?

"Judgement Day" live on you tube, with Ken and Rob Walker covering around the various tables. Good coverage to have on in the background.

https://youtu.be/8qSA9vICyws

Bad start for Dott. 0-4 down to Tian Pengfei. Would like to see him get through.

I was surprised to see Dott is provisionally ranked 17 at the moment (21 before the tournament). That will change as the tournament goes on and he will drop down a bit, but he's surprisingly close to the top 16.

Dottie did have a decent season last year, reaching a final and a couple of semis i think so racking up the points. This season not so great so gonna be under pressure next season to maintain that ranking. Wouldn't write dott off just yet, but tian is a good opponent.

• Advertisement

Well done kurt maflin, last years quarter finalist becomes first qualifier to book his place in the main draw with a comprehensive 10-4 dismantling of Rob Milkins.

Matt Selt and Jamie Jones through as well. Jamie Clarke gone from 7-2 against Mark Davis to 7-8 and Davis at the table in F16.

Dott having a very strange day. He was 8-1 down and now he’s back in with a chance at 9-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Well done kurt maflin, last years quarter finalist becomes first qualifier to book his place in the main draw with a comprehensive 10-4 dismantling of Rob Milkins.

I think that might be the first time I've heard Maflin's name since his run in the WC last year. Hasn't had much of a season has he?

weemcd wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think Allen should worry about his own game. The reason he makes the paydays he does now is because of people like White and Hendry who brought excitement and attention to snooker.

But I can't stand Allen so what do I know?

I like it, spices things up, bit of controversy. Plus I agree with him in this case.

However, I enjoy it when O'Sullivan calls the players outside the top 64 numpties so what do I know?

• Advertisement

Dott claws another one back to 7-9. Few squeaky bums in action round the venue tonight.

I think that might be the first time I've heard Maflin's name since his run in the WC last year. Hasn't had much of a season has he?

Ordinary enough alright, didnt really push on from the worlds but for all his ability consistency never been one of kurts strong points i guess.

Dott claws another one back to 7-9. Few squeaky bums in action round the venue tonight.

This multi table viewing is very good, never seen it before. I wonder would it be an option for the earlier rounds of every tournament, so you don't get stuck on a dull low quality match.

This multi table viewing is very good, never seen it before. I wonder would it be an option for the earlier rounds of every tournament, so you don't get stuck on a dull low quality match.

Yeah, actually working really well, have it on in the background and handy to scroll over when a frame getting tight. Certainly would be great for bigger events like the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Great comeback by Davis to get through.

The NFL has a similar idea called Redzone. That jumps around the grounds as it looks like a team is going to score. Which is important given the amount of ad breaks in an NFL game to suit American TV, and a lot of the time nothing much is going on.
    I'm sure they got the idea from there, might be a bit hardcore though to show qualifiers from the home nations, on top of the main table coverage. Could be a limited enough audience.

But as Eurosport usually shows table 2 for the home nations on the app (without commentary mind), maybe they could replace it with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Don't like the jumping, same way I never liked it when BT did it for the Champions League.

Some rumour on Twitter about Maflin but nobody will actually come out with the juice.

Where is multi table viewing available?

Where is multi table viewing available?

There'll be a link to follow it on the World Snooker You Tube channel. Probably on facebook as well, whichever is handier. Ken and Rob Walker flitting around the various tables to key points in matches. Thought it worked well myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Having paid more attention to the qualifiers this year, and seeing how difficult and competitive the matches are, I'm now totally convinced the likes of Hendry, Ken and White are deluding themselves to think they could ever qualify for the world championships again.

• Advertisement

Having to win 4 matches is a lot, if you're coming in from R1. I'm pretty confident we'll never see jimmy or hendry grace the hallowed hall again as players and ken, well, lets just say it doesn't get any easier by the year. If you put it all together for the week and got a good draw, you still never know though. Look at Nigel Bond, 55, and still competitive. Should have beaten Matt Selt in R3 and now Selt is preparing for the finals!

Been so impressed with this 18 year old Bai Langning all week.

Been two years on tour, won no matches his first year and this is his first tournament this season due to the pandemic. Leading Martin Gould 4-2 and potting some serious balls. Tour card up for grabs should he come through. Incredible story really.

Zhao Xintong leading Sam Craigie 5-4 with average shot time under 15 seconds. Even Ronnie would be impressed with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Having paid more attention to the qualifiers this year, and seeing how difficult and competitive the matches are, I'm now totally convinced the likes of Hendry, Ken and White are deluding themselves to think they could ever qualify for the world championships again.

I'd have to agree with that. That low blow from Mark Allen was directed at Ken & Hendry as well. Ken has 1 more year left on his invitational tour card. If he doesn't make the tour proper after next season he should retire.
    I think Hendry will retire again after next season, I can't see him making the tour proper after next season.
    Don't you have to finish in the top 64 to retain your place on the tour?

Fair play to Gary el cabitano Wilson back at the crucible with a comprehensive 10-3 victory over Steven Hallworth. Actually thought Wilson might be vulnerable here given the tough season he's had but dominated from the start and never let up.

Ricky Walden, Ali Carter, Stuart Bingham all comfortably through and Martin Gould on the verge of joining them. New blood not doing so well tonight. Bai just died a death after the first session.

Fair play to Gary el cabitano Wilson back at the crucible with a comprehensive 10-3 victory over Steven Hallworth. Actually thought Wilson might be vulnerable here given the tough season he's had but dominated from the start and never let up.

If I could have picked one player to not qualify it would have been Gary Wilson. Can’t stand him.

What ever happened to Luca Brecel, fails to qualify again. I remember at one point his being one of the game’s next big superstars.

Lot of hype around Luca, but just never had a proper all round game, just a flash potter who seemed to want to break the pocket with every shot. Still has time on his side but very hard to change your style when its what you know.

Sam Craigie is last to book his crucible ticket with 10-9 victory over another much hyped kid Zhao Xintong. Delighted for Sam, good player and nice lad too. Second crucible debutant after Mark Joyce came through against Igor Figureiro earlier.

Think the game was eager to see Luca Brecel do well also, as it would have helped break into that big continental European market. All those subscribers on Eurosport need a local role model. Long time since Tony Drago added a bit of continental flair.

Judgement day a bit of an anti-climax. Not to many close matches and coverage over early. We can be sure of a couple of late nights at the Crucible next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Lot of hype around Luca, but just never had a proper all round game, just a flash potter who seemed to want to break the pocket with every shot. Still has time on his side but very hard to change your style when its what you know.

Sam Craigie is last to book his crucible ticket with 10-9 victory over another much hyped kid Zhao Xintong. Delighted for Sam, good player and nice lad too. Second crucible debutant after Mark Joyce came through against Igor Figureiro earlier.

Couldn’t agree more Joe, he’s all flash and nothing much to back it up. A player who will always just make up the numbers.

One thing i will say for luca, he at least won a ranking title, and a decent one, not like a shoot out or something. So on his day, he can do it, i just never saw a game that could consistently push him up towards top 10 and beyond. Still cant.

I dont think hypes a bad thing either, you need a bit of it. I remember when Luca was around 14 and beat ken in a tournament and getting swept up in recent it myself. It's no harm once the player himself doesnt get caught up in it, as i think has happened with Zhao Xintong. And only a couple of years ago Yuan Sijun was getting the "future world champion" treatment, he's now off the tour and heading for q school.

This has been a great thread by the way. Barely watched any of the qualifiers so cheers to all for the updates.

Advertisement