Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estoy de Rodriguez

Options
  • 14-07-2015 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

I was just reminded of this phrase today when I was speaking to my friend in Madrid.

My wife is away for two months for work, when I said it to him, he laughed and said "que bien, estais de rodriquez!". It's a funny phrase, mostly in Madrid but understood all over spain, basically - "the cat's away!".

They think it started when families would leave madrid for the summer, leaving the father to work before joining them for a couple of weeks at the playa. If he got lonely and would visit brothels, it would be common to give the name "rodriguez" as it was a common name (like Murphy). Now it just means that the family are gone and you are left to your devices

It is one of my favorite phrases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My brother told me they've a similar concept in Chile which is "soltero de verano", quite like that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Nadiua

Ajá, eso es cierto jajaja

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Joseper

En mi país no se usa esta frase.

Advertisement