Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving taximan

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Hey Bro what level of inebriation was your wife in?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

How do I know this? Because now the phone is back online this morning.
    Yes she left the phone in the car...by accident not on purpose.Once the phone rang it was knocked off. Not exactly going out of his way to return it when he was literally at top of the road? So lets just say he wasn't very honest.......:rolleyes:

Could someone have jumped into the car straight away? Perhaps, but unlikely, this is a residential estate not a busy main road where there would be a higher chance of someone flagging him down.

Oh and one last thing, in her conversation with him he mentioned he was originally from X but now living in Y. Where's the phone showing up now? Answers on a postcard please....

Could you not go to the area where the phone is marked as being located and look for the taxi (assuming your wife recalls the make and model)
    And knock on whatever door it’s parked outside log into find my iPhone on another phone and make it alarm when you are at the door if they say they do not have it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are you sure she's your wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Ficheall wrote: »
    Are you sure she's your wife?
    I see comedy isn’t one of your strong points...

And fair play to gardai one phone returned to rightful owner an hour ago. Find my phone app thumbs up, happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

And fair play to gardai one phone returned to rightful owner an hour ago. Find my phone app thumbs up, happy days!

Did they really go and get it off your man the taxi driver? If they did, my faith has been restored in them. A bit.

Great result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oh and one last thing, in her conversation with him he mentioned he was originally from X but now living in Y. Where's the phone showing up now? Answers on a postcard please....

Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So.....is that taximan actually a Thief ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

She might have had a case on the phone with space for bank cards and a bit of cash rather than her handbag being left behind

Those cases are the most ridiculous things ever.
    The most common reported lost or stolen items in the country are phones.

"I think I'll stick my cards to my phone....be handy like... "

When I see fools on the phone with their credit cards hanging off their ear I feel like grabbing it myself just to teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

and how can you rule out your wife dropping the phone as she got out of the taxi and someone walking by picked it up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So a garda rocked up to someone house for a phone ya right. Not because I have little faith but do not see it happening for an alleged crime as you have mo proof.

So how about updating us.

Did he have the phone on him? Stupid thing if stolen with the wife's number

How about bank card and money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

a freind of mine has gone to the Gaurds before about a stolen phone, there was cctv of it being lifted from her bag and she had it located on the find my iphone app

Gaurds said that theres nothing they can do based off this app, to just file a report and they will look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

gwalk wrote: »
    a freind of mine has gone to the Gaurds before about a stolen phone, there was cctv of it being lifted from her bag and she had it located on the find my iphone app

Gaurds said that theres nothing they can do based off this app, to just file a report and they will look into it.

And did she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Portsalon wrote: »
    And did she?

Filed a report - yes

get the phone back - no

Guards do little about these sort of things unless it's a case of somebody being injured

I've had my car and house broken into and fully reported - zilch done really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

listermint wrote: »
    What a stupid bit of advice.

Report it, it's a crime.

Ok, just out of curiosity, what crime is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

So to update, guards rang her to collect the phone from station. They had the taximan's phone number and they were trying to contact him yesterday.

When she got the phone back shift had changed so the garda didn't say how it was returned. Yes he most likely dropped it back. And fair play to him for that. Just seemed odd he would ignore a ringing phone in his car and then turn it off. But switch it back on next day?

Oh the €50 was gone but hey you can't have everything #findersfee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

My wife went for a few drinks with pals last year. After only a few minutes in the pub she noticed her handbag which she had placed on the floor beside her seat was gone. Her new iPhone was in the bag along with other valuables and ID etc. She immediately called me and I tracked her iPhone online. I watched the phone go down the M1 and onto the M50 and then onto a house in Clondalkin. The app was able to tell me the exact address the handbag had stopped moving in. I took my laptop to the police to report it that evening and to our absolute amazement they told us there is nothing they could do. We considered knocking on the door ourselves but we knew this would lead to trouble so we had no choice but to forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

gwalk wrote: »

This is ridiculous, really there is nothing they can do?

So to update, guards rang her to collect the phone from station. They had the taximan's phone number and they were trying to contact him yesterday.

When she got the phone back shift had changed so the garda didn't say how it was returned. Yes he most likely dropped it back. And fair play to him for that. Just seemed odd he would ignore a ringing phone in his car and then turn it off. But switch it back on next day?

Does your wife's phone not have a pin to turn it back on. If so how did he turn it off and then on. If she does not have a pin have one on it immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

So perhaps change the title of your thread.
    Not all taxi drivers are bad people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    So perhaps change the title of your thread.
    Not all taxi drivers are bad people

Says taximan, not taximen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

listermint wrote: »
    What a stupid bit of advice.

Report it, it's a crime.

How is someone losing their phone a crime?

Two friends of mine from the US got a taxi from Dublin Airport last June and were dropped at the Morrison Hotel.

My friend hadnt realised that she had left her purse with all her money,cards,IDs in it, in the taxi.

Obviously she had no way of contacting the driver and so she cancelled cards ect but was quite upset about things.

About 30 mins later the hotel got a call from the driver who said he found the purse and to tell my friend not to worry ,that he would drop it back within the hour.
    Apparently, he was back in the airport waiting for another fare.

True to form he arrived back an hour or so with the purse,with all the contents in it untouched.

My friend offered him a reward for coming back but he wouldnt take anything.She even insisted, but he refused,he was just glad she got her purse back.

My friend from US couldnt believe how a taxi driver would go out of his way to drop it back to her and how very honest and decent he was.

A lot of taxi drivers get a lot of crap from people, but you seldom hear of the good decent men and women out there .

Hoboo wrote: »
    Says taximan, not taximen

Good grief !!!

It says "thieving taximan" , he clearly wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Good grief !!!

It says "thieving taximan" , he clearly wasnt

We clearly don't know that, no one knows. But let's be honest, if you'd to put the house on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Does your wife's phone not have a pin to turn it back on. If so how did he turn it off and then on. If she does not have a pin have one on it immediately

Or he did not turn if off as OP thinks, but went somewhere with no coverage, for example an underground car park.

Or he did not turn if off as OP thinks, but went somewhere with no coverage, for example an underground car park.

Thats what I was getting at plus his assertion of it was at his place so that proves it was also stupid. As I have 2 taxi people living near me and both have there cars at there house so if the phone was in the car it would stand to reason it was at his house if he brings his car home

If he's not a thief, where's the 50 euro gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

pablo128 wrote: »
    If he's not a thief, where's the 50 euro gone?

Can you swear on your granny's grave that it was there in the first place?

• Advertisement

Portsalon wrote: »
    Can you swear on your granny's grave that it was there in the first place?

Yes I swear. Now where's the 50?

Advertisement