Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-08-2018, 14:14   #1
Green&Red

5-4-1 Experiment

They talked on the scoutcast last nite about big strikers being finished with. Last season when it was obvious I was doing sh!t I switched to four at the back, it failed miserably.

So now I'd like to run an experiment on going all out from the back to see how it would compare with my actual team. I'm happy for it to be a shared effort so if anyone has any strong feelings on the current midfield or strikers let me know.
Have the C on Mendy for the weekend, purely because I think he'll do better than Salah
Team ID: 5015321

DDG - Hamer
Mendy - Robbo - Walker - Alonso - PVA
Hazard - Salah - Ricki - Mane - Guendoesi
Ings - Joselu - Success

Guendoesi- Ings - Success on the bench this week
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-08-2018, 14:24   #2
Shanotheslayer

I think the points will fluctuate a lot across the defensive line with 5 at the back.

How many clean sheets would you be expecting on average per week? Obviously fixtures dependent but in general. Just feel it will lead to more heartbreak. 5 players could just as easy return 10 points.
16-08-2018, 14:29   #3
Green&Red

Sorry, this isn't my real team thats entered in leagues. This is a team set up purely to see how it goes with 5 at the back
16-08-2018, 14:29   #4
klopparama

Love it.

Think Ings is a good shout but if you could also get a 6.5m option up front if would give you more scope for transferring in other strikers around that price point.

I really liked Motrovic at the weekend and that price point allows a fair bit of flexibility with your lone striker.

I don’t like Alonso as he won’t be as attacking and I don’t fancy Chelsea to be that tight. You could downgrade him to Bellerin (maybe after this weekend) and that may allow you a more reliable striker than Ings.

I think Arsenal will get tighter as the season unfolds and Bellerin was still the top 8th scoring defender last season regardless of what people think of him or how poorly Arsenal did. I rate him.
Thanks from:
16-08-2018, 14:32   #5
klopparama

You could even chance Shaw until he is dropped or gets injured so you have Jose defence covered.
Advertisement
16-08-2018, 14:45   #6
klopparama

If you did go with Ings and Mitrovic then Kamara would be your 4.5m bench fodder striker in case Mitrovic got injured.

I’m into this now.

It’s tempting because Aubameyang is the only striker I think I really want.
16-08-2018, 14:46   #7
Green&Red

See I reckoned I'd made an exception for PVA (cause he's PVA) and downgrading to 5m is kinda going against the idea. But there is scope to say drop Mane for Pedro and upgrade Ings or Joselu to Mitro
I think all premium strikers are off limits

Edit: I'd also be open to swapping Alonso for Bellerin

Last edited by Green&Red; 16-08-2018 at 14:49.
16-08-2018, 14:50   #8
klopparama

I’m not sure if price alone dictates premium.

If Shaw plays 38 games he’s a premium defender.
16-08-2018, 14:55   #9
PARlance

Just on Alonso, he has still been getting forward a fair bit under Sarri... from the preseason and opening games. He could be getting forward less than before but it didn't really look it to me.
Advertisement
16-08-2018, 15:33   #10
Green&Red

So

DDG - Hamer
Mendy - Robbo - Walker - Alonso - Shaw
Hazard - Salah - Ricki - Pedro - Guendoesi
Mitro - Joselu - Kamara

?
16-08-2018, 15:57   #11
dahat

This experiment is 1 Kane hat trick from blowing up! It's easy to say strikers are dead when none are in form at this stage, Lukakau & Kane start banging them in then it's back to 343 again.
16-08-2018, 16:25   #12
manual_man

It's easy to forget that in earlier years of fantasy football defenders were often the players to own. There's certainly a lot of tempting options with defenders this year though playing 5 for me every week would be a stretch. 4 though definitely yes. I still think medium price strikers will provide value. Mitrovic/Zaha/Arnie are the 3 I would rate with the highest potential.
16-08-2018, 16:28   #13
Paully D

Completely disagree with the thought that premium strikers are finished with.

Kane, Aguero, Aubamayeng etc will all be right up there at the end of the season, injury permitting.

I’ll be rolling with 2 premium strikers all season. Currently I’m Aguero and Firmino and will probably have Kane and Aubamayeng in a few weeks.

I will follow with interesting though. Good idea.
Thanks from:
16-08-2018, 16:31   #14
manual_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully D View Post
Completely disagree with the thought that premium strikers are finished with.

Kane, Aguero, Aubamayeng etc will all be right up there at the end of the season, injury permitting.

I’ll be rolling with 2 premium strikers all season. Currently I’m Aguero and Firmino and will probably have Kane and Aubamayeng in a few weeks.

I will follow with interesting though. Good idea.
Very few will go without any premium striker. What will have most managers thinking though is investing in a premium defender(or two) instead of a mid priced mid or fwd(or two)
16-08-2018, 20:20   #15
jimmii

I'm pro-defenders so curious to see how this goes! They are the best value right so this has to work!! Week to week it'll be fairly brutal but I think in the long run it could do alright.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion