Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Roll from 1700's - Decipher

Options
  • 08-01-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Can anyone decipher the attached. This is a rent roll from an estate in Tipperary from 1783 (or was it 1803, cant remember off hand). I'm interested in the 8th and 9th people in the list.

"Henry?? (Bruf) Bry ??
    Thomas Bryan

In the next column

part abbey
    Rapi ??? Mills ?? - 3 lives

Then in the other picture

both ?? in arrears ?? (is that what it means?) - £4.0.0 & £5.0.35

Your opinions much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think it's Bruf in the first but concur with all your other suggestions.

The second: it's not definitely arrears - there's a d.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The second one might be "boath [both] in and as now" - whatever that might mean. It does seem to be a joint holding. Might that be a "+" after Henry Bruf's name?

The figures seem to refer to acreage, and are aggregated in the next column: 9 acres, 0 roods, 35 perches.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Boath in one leas now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Boath in one leas now ?

I'll take that one! Looks pretty much spot on.

As you may see in the next column it has the name of the new tenant. So both Thomas and Henry? obviously died (or were evicted).

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

is it possible that the 'Rap? mills' refers to an oilseed rape mill - rapeseed oil was used for lamps in Northern Europe up to the 19th century?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

KildareFan wrote: »
    is it possible that the 'Rap? mills' refers to an oilseed rape mill - rapeseed oil was used for lamps in Northern Europe up to the 19th century?

That looks very likely alright

"John Kenned of the same, Joint Owner of the Rape Mill" from here http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/oaths/oaths_carrick.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

KildareFan wrote: »

Ya, that looks like a very strong possibility. I have checked and there was a number of rapeseed mills in this area serving the "big house", etc.
    Thanks, adds a bit more colour to my Bryan's.

Advertisement