Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No sinking fund

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I think anytime I go to see an apartment I’ll only find out about mgt accounts and sink funds when I’m in the final stages of closing a potential purchase

This is true. Most appartment buyers (bar investors) are first time buyers looking to get on the ladder, I know I didnt ask about sinking funds when I was viewing places. I think one EA may have mentioned it to me, but at the time I probably didnt understand the significance.

That said, sinking funds are important. Its positive that theres a new board in palce and an agent to manage the day to day. I'm on the board where I live and while its often tedious, I do like knowing whats going on with the biggest single thing I own.

We had a fire stopping issue a few months after I bought and we got off very lightly. Ultimately we part funded the fix by placing a levy on the apartment owners, but we offset some of the cost by using about €30k from the sinking fund, so people only had bills of about €600 extra to cover the works (as I say in the grand scheme of fire stopping, it was minor.)

That said, there was a fraught few months trying to work out what to do. Getting quotes and then needing to find people to certify any work done.
    Ultimately no one wanted to be left with an uninsurable/unsalable asset and payed up, but it can take time for people to have that "come to Jesus" moment. The original estimate came in at a few grand per unit, but thankfully we had an investor (who owned multiple units) who is also a developer and he sorted work for us at a better rate.

Owning in a MUD is complex. Its great in a lot of ways, 99% of the time the place runs like clockwork and lifestyle wise it suits us, but a well run MC is critical. I'd advise being a director if possible if you really want to safe guard your money.

We have roughly 90 units (40 houses and 50 apartments)
    No lifts, no underground parking and no electic gates. Our main area of concern would be roofs over the longer term. We're typically proactive in our maintenance approach.
    Sinking fund of almost €100,000 (we've built it back up in the last few years by slowing increasing the charge.)
    We also have low levels of delinquency when it comes to getting our fees in. Most pay by quarterly DD, but we've a few who seem to enjoy getting reminder letters (annoying). We always have all the money in by the end of the year.

There are well run MUD's out there OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I was an AGM of a management company last night. On paper everything is awful. The sinking fund is empty. But in reality sinking fund capital works are being done every year to deal with problems that have been building up over the decade. There is a year’s Turnover of outstanding service charges which the management company expects to collect in full. This will replenish the sinking fund. Even though the situation looks bad, in reality the management company is in ok shape and moving in the right direction to under a capable board of directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Update

Solicitor never heard back from mgt company with regards to the fire inspection

So they wrote to my mortgage provider to inform them no sink fund and a fire inspection that they have no date

I am currently living in the property the last 3 years and liked the place and only place in my budget in Dublin as landlord was selling at mkt price

Going to see if my mortgage can be extended but I’m the wrong side of 40 so it’s not looking great

End up now panicking trying to find somewhere to rent now. Ffs

Advertisement