Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed

Options
  • 03-08-2020 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Neighbour has suspected JK growing at her entrance. I think I remember reading somewhere that the council might remove it if it’s growing on the road, which it is. Has anyone come across this plant? How damaging is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

I see it in a few places along the road on the way to work. It is very hard to kill as a big part of it lives underground and it usually requires being sprayed with a herbicide a number of times potentially over a number of years before it is eliminated. Advice is generally not to try dig it up and kill it that way as every fragment can grow into a new plant and it is very easy to spread it. It's not very damaging in its native range where there are natural elements to keep it under control but here in Ireland there is not much that will naturally keep it in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I know our local Council (Cavan) has a section on their website, that allows you report growths of JK.
    No evidence of them actually doing anything about it, though.
    Some fine stands of it in the middle of the town itself....
    Last September was wet and it was hard to get a day to spray the local outbreaks of it, but I'm going to hit them with Roundup myself this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

If you cut it try and burn it in a barrel f bring stems or leaves home or on gardening tools or put in bins it will regrow
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnLlNRmE5M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Do not attempt to cut this stuff.
    When it's in flower ( month of September) hit it with Roundup from a knapsack sprayer.
    Give it a good wetting.
    Use the mix rate Monsanto or the generic manufacturer recommends for knapsack sprayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Have a look on eBay
    I was able to find a knot weed injector gun with various needles.

Works great on the big stuff, and I just spray the smaller stuff with glyphosate.

I was spraying for years, but as soon as I started injecting, there was a massive improvement.

Btw.. I'm just finished injecting and spraying.

Let's see what comes back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sprayed whats left of ours and some of it around locally only this week. Maybe a slow 15 year battle but really can say I'm on top of it now. Nothing left big enough to inject but did try injecting it with a Basting Syringe which worked well when I used it late in the year but wasn't as effective when used earlier.

The big problem is there is still massive ignorance about this weed. Contractors were in digging up a field of it near me thinking burying it a meter down was going to work. They just ended up with thousands of smaller clumps and god knows what other site they spread it too :rolleyes:

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Sprayed whats left of ours and some of it around locally only this week. Maybe a slow 15 year battle but really can say I'm on top of it now. Nothing left big enough to inject but did try injecting it with a Basting Syringe which worked well when I used it late in the year but wasn't as effective when used earlier.

The big problem is there is still massive ignorance about this weed. Contractors were in digging up a field of it near me thinking burying it a meter down was going to work. They just ended up with thousands of smaller clumps and god knows what other site they spread it too :rolleyes:

There's a new build new me.. that site was a Forrest of knotweed a few years back.
    I don't know how it was treated, but it was all gone last year.. it'll be interesting to see what happens when they start digging foundations.

Advertisement