Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a shed

Options
  • 25-07-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all

Currently putting up a shed/workshop, I want to wire it for approximately 6 lighting units and 10 double sockets, they all wont be in use at same time just making sure all areas will have power if I need.

Just wondering what kind of price would an electrician be to wire it,

My customer unit in the house in inside front door and I want to keep damage to house floor minimal.

I was told that I could run power from an existing socket in the house but dont know how safe that would be

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

10 double sockets?
    How big is the shed??

You can't take 10 sockets and 6 light outlets from a single socket anyway, you will need a new feed from the consumer unit at the very least, then a second consumer unit in the shed with adequate protection for each of the circuits (multiple socket RCBO circuits rather than all 10 on one).

Even though 10 double sockets won't be in use at the same time you need to assume that they could be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^ I agree that this would be the best way to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

And the cost for that would be about €2.5k.

Based on first quote I received. Have not sought others yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hesker wrote: »
    And the cost for that would be about €2.5k.

Based on first quote I received. Have not sought others yet.

Shop around.

Advertisement