Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of Responsibility

Options
  • 16-05-2019 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

As I am soon to start teacher training college I’m starting to thing about the above. Obviously it’s many years down the road. I would definitely like a post but I don’t know if I would like the top job. I don’t know enough about any of the posts yet to know I suppose.
    Which is harder, being an administrative principal or being a non administrative deputy principal in a large school?
    Seniority will be gone by the time I can apply for a post. Is this causing tension in schools? As I understand it, in the past, the next longest serving teacher got the next post (unless they weren’t interested). Has this been turned on it’s head now?
    Do you need a school leadership course to have any chance of getting a post?
    When do people usually apply for posts? After 5, 10, 15 years?
    Is there a lot of competition for posts?
    Are there any happy teaching principals out there? All I seem to hear is that unless you are an administrative principal, it’s very very tough going.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Hold your horses!
    First see if you like college, then teaching, then get a job, then like your job and want to stay in it. Then get CID, then it’s something you could consider. You won’t know what kind of post you would like until you have some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Hold your horses!
    First see if you like college, then teaching, then get a job, then like your job and want to stay in it. Then get CID, then it’s something you could consider. You won’t know what kind of post you would like until you have some experience.

Thanks Rosebush, I know, I know. I’m jumping the gun!!
    Genuinely interested in everyone’s opinions on this. I won’t have time to think about these things once I start the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks Rosebush, I know, I know. I’m jumping the gun!!
    Genuinely interested in everyone’s opinions on this. I won’t have time to think about these things once I start the course.

Well you won't have to be thinking about it for a long time - until you get a job which is a LONG LONG ordeal that will knock you several times. I wouldn't be looking into a post until you're well established teacher in a school 1. students have more respect for you and 2. if you're coming the door applying for posts, other staff members will think that you have notions and you could find yourself having your lunch by yourself.

Can I ask why you would be thinking about posts before you even become a teacher? Is it really a management role that you're looking for?

I've never heard of the term non-administrative deputy principal - what do you think they do if they don't do administration?

Well you won't have to be thinking about it for a long time - until you get a job which is a LONG LONG ordeal that will knock you several times. I wouldn't be looking into a post until you're well established teacher in a school 1. students have more respect for you and 2. if you're coming the door applying for posts, other staff members will think that you have notions and you could find yourself having your lunch by yourself.

Can I ask why you would be thinking about posts before you even become a teacher? Is it really a management role that you're looking for?

I've never heard of the term non-administrative deputy principal - what do you think they do if they don't do administration?

Thanks for your reply mtoutlemonde. I’m simply asking a few questions about things I know very little about. Thats what this forum is for, right?

I thought that an administrative principal/vice principal does not teach a class aswell as their post duties? I may have the wrong terminology there.

I wouldn’t necessarily say I want to be in management but I would like a post when the time is right and I feel ready for it.

P.S. I don’t want to have lunch by myself!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply mtoutlemonde. I’m simply asking a few questions about things I know very little about. Thats what this forum is for, right?

I thought that an administrative principal/vice principal does not teach a class aswell as their post duties? I may have the wrong terminology there.

I wouldn’t necessarily say I want to be in management but I would like a post when the time is right and I feel ready for it.

Yes that's what the forum is for. I just find it strange that someone who does not currently hold a teaching qualification is interested in posts. I'm ten years teaching and wouldn't want a post yet. When I was in your position - getting qualified and finding a job that would lead to permanency was all that worried me.

No, DP's teach unless the school is very large. It depends on the number of students in the school e.g. for a small school, the DP teaches a half timetable, in a bigger school, they teach 4-6 hours etc. and in a big school, they don't teach at all.
    P.S. I don’t want to have lunch by myself!!

It can happen unfortunately :) You will find some people that will want it that way as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

surely being a teacher means holding responsibility??!!

Wesser wrote: »

Yes of course but what OP is asking is about is posts of responsibility which is usually senior members of staff who are year heads, programme co-ordinators, health and safety, exams secretary etc.

Thanks for clarifying about the principal/vice principal query mtoutlemonde.
    I totally get what you say about yourself, focusing on the qualification, experience, trying to get a job, trying to get CID.

I’m the exact same, will need to do all those things, work really hard, deal with all the rejection when I qualify and I’m trying to get a job.

I always think about the future aswell as the present, it’s just how I am. I know lots about what’s ahead in the next few years. And that’s all I really think about. Whereas I know nothing about posts etc. I guess we are just different. Thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Wesser wrote: »

Responsibility for what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi,

As I am soon to start teacher training college I’m starting to thing about the above. Obviously it’s many years down the road. I would definitely like a post but I don’t know if I would like the top job. I don’t know enough about any of the posts yet to know I suppose.
    Which is harder, being an administrative principal or being a non administrative deputy principal in a large school?
    Seniority will be gone by the time I can apply for a post. Is this causing tension in schools? As I understand it, in the past, the next longest serving teacher got the next post (unless they weren’t interested). Has this been turned on it’s head now?
    Do you need a school leadership course to have any chance of getting a post?
    When do people usually apply for posts? After 5, 10, 15 years?
    Is there a lot of competition for posts?
    Are there any happy teaching principals out there? All I seem to hear is that unless you are an administrative principal, it’s very very tough going.

About 10 years ...
    Unless you're asked earlier cos no-one else wants to do it- in which case ask why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Join your local Cumann FF preferably. Be ambitious, network and do what is needed e.g. take on what ever job your principal asks of you. Get qualified and your set for life. Mind you the other staff will despise you.

Advertisement