Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭standardg60

And leaves side by side

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Call me stubborn (or worse! :p), Standard, but those to me look very different - the leaf of the cherry sucker is larger near the stem, whereas the hazel is larger near the point (and it's rounder). To my eyes the hazel you posted looks a lot like the pic of the op.

Sorry here!

New Home wrote: »
    Call me stubborn (or worse! :p), Standard, but those to me look very different - the leaf of the cherry sucker is larger near the stem, whereas the hazel is larger near the point (and it's rounder). To my eyes the hazel you posted looks a lot like the pic of the op.

I wouldn't dare!
    Pics are merely to show the similarities between the two. I was pretty convinced earlier by the op's second pic that it was indeed hazel but there are definitely differences between it and the hazel leaf I posted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe Crisco's isn't a contorted hazel, but just a "normal" one. It definitely looks different to the cherry leaf you posted (even ignoring everything else, it's much different colour-wise).

(And don't worry, I've been called much worse! :p:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ha, quite an active discussion! thanks guys!

looks like the great Hazel or Cherry debate will rage on. :-)

Wait until the fruits appear. I call dibs on your first jar of Nutella. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

I'm with you on this, New Home, first one definitely cherry and other one hazel! Leaves are very different.

\o/ Nutella tree!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

\o/ Nutella tree!! :D

Just to confuse matters further, I have all three: A Hazel producing nuts, numerous Wild Cherries, and the tree pictured in the OP. A botanist informed that the tree pictured is a Hazel but not one that I will ever get nuts from. When I moved in it was about three metres high with a bole of about 30cm. I cut it to the ground and now it produces a cluster of shoots from the base every year that look really nice. At the end of the season I cut it back again. Looking at the pic, however, the OP's tree looks like it is growing beneath a wall so best pulled IMO. I'll post a pic shortly.

• Advertisement

:( No-Nutella tree.

Pics

See, to me that second pic looked more like a lime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lime all the way! But that is the sort of (re)growth I'd expect to see after a lime tree has been cut down?

No wonder you wouldn't get any hazelnuts off of it, then. :D

No wonder you wouldn't get any hazelnuts off of it, then. :D

Last time I ask a botanist for advice:D And a good thing I didn't let it grow - 5 metres from the house:eek:

If it's any consolation, I know of people who had an alpaca farm who told foreign tourists who were asking about the animals that they were cow-sheep. :rolleyes: (they do say "moo", but with a question mark, so it sounds more like a "moo?") :D

Advertisement