Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race deferral problem

Options
  • 11-05-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Interested in thoughts on this… I'm signed up for Lough Cutra half iron distance on May 26. Did this race last year as my first for the half iron distance and loved it so signed up early this year as an incentive to keep training.

Anyway 3 weeks ago I fell and broke my wrist. Contacted the organisers looking for a deferral to next year but they are not obliging, giving me just the option of changing to one of their other events this year (they don't have any other events in Ireland, all the others are UK or one in France.) They've said the last opportunity to defer is 90 days prior to the event, well I didn't have a broken wrist then!

Now I get that they are a business and they can't have people cancelling for any and all reasons, but surely in a genuine medical case this is not right? Can't remember exactly but I think the entry fee was somewhere around €160. Deferring to next year is revenue neutral to them as there's no chance I'll ever register for one of their races again if they stick to this line…

So what do people think, are they being reasonable or am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally I think if you can provide a cert they should oblige. Must race organisers won't unfortunately, even those that are run by clubs. It's very frustrating.

I know one person that always uses Nirvana to enter IM branded races as there's a guarantee of money back if you get a medical cert.

Speedy recovery.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if you are sick do you expect your employer to pay you or not

just another way to look at it...

can you sell it to somebody ?

i guses if you were to offer it for 120 here or at tri clubs pages you would sell it at short notice.

so what iam saying is its a headacke for both and if youu could sell it it would be a win win ( and i would think they would agree with that )

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

pgibbo wrote: »
    Personally I think if you can provide a cert they should oblige. Must race organisers won't unfortunately, even those that are run by clubs. It's very frustrating.

I know one person that always uses Nirvana to enter IM branded races as there's a guarantee of money back if you get a medical cert.

Speedy recovery.

P.

Thanks, agree fully. I've checked with my own club, we would definitely allow a deferral in the circumstances. Anyway it is what it is. You'd think they would want to encourage early sign ups, this sort of policy does the opposite!

peter kern wrote: »

just another way to look at it...

can you sell it to somebody ?

i guses if you were to offer it for 120 here or at tri clubs pages you would sell it at short notice.

so what iam saying is its a headacke for both and if youu could sell it it would be a win win ( and i would think they would agree with that )

I see what you're saying... but... a deferral is revenue neutral to them, given that this race does not sell out. In fact the goodwill generated might see me back in the future. As it is I'll be spreading the word among our club (after this year's race, don't want to tarnish anyone's day!) We had 35-40 members there last year and I know there's a good few signed up this year.

To be honest, I don't think it's a headache for them at all, they're not remotely interested/don't care. They have their money. I'll ask about a transfer, doubt they'll agree, the event is still open for registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Depends on your job, but yes, and many do.

It's poor form not to allow an entrant at a race organised by a professional outfit at that level of entry fee not to defer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I see what you're saying... but... a deferral is revenue neutral to them, given that this race does not sell out. In fact the goodwill generated might see me back in the future. As it is I'll be spreading the word among our club (after this year's race, don't want to tarnish anyone's day!) We had 35-40 members there last year and I know there's a good few signed up this year.

To be honest, I don't think it's a headache for them at all, they're not remotely interested/don't care. They have their money. I'll ask about a transfer, doubt they'll agree, the event is still open for registration.

As I say I can see both sides. But it's certainly not cost neutral. At this stage company have ordered t shirts food and other stuff they also booked ferries for stuff to come over based on the numbers they expect And a race to keep going needs be be profitable too. And the administrator needs to be payed as well.
    So now it does cost some money - hard to calculate the real cost and not that much but cost neutral it isn't. My guess it can be between 30 - 40 euro of costs ( as I say that's a guess but medals are about 2.5euro t-shirt maybe 6 euro administration 10 euro so it's certainly close to 30 euro without coveted costs. Especially if there was 25 people like you and they brought over 1 extra person.

I see you had also 2 options you could have bought an insurance when you entered and or you were very much aware that the race would not sell out and it was your choice to enter so early.

And yes I see your point as well don't worry. But I'm also aware it's not a walk in the park to organise races. Ie not even challenge seems to have a chance to be able to get full iron distance races off the ground
    Hope it works out for you and race organiser.

As I say I can see both sides. But it's certainly not cost neutral. At this stage company have ordered t shirts food and other stuff they also booked ferries for stuff to come over based on the numbers they expect And a race to keep going needs be be profitable too. And the administrator needs to be payed as well.
    So now it does cost some money - hard to calculate the real cost and not that much but cost neutral it isn't. My guess it can be between 30 - 40 euro of costs ( as I say that's a guess but medals are about 2.5euro t-shirt maybe 6 euro administration 10 euro so it's certainly close to 30 euro without coveted costs. Especially if there was 25 people like you and they brought over 1 extra person.

I definitely can see it from both sides but I think you're well over estimating costs. The branding of this race is the same or very similar across all venues and years - supplies will be bought in bulk. I'm not saying it should be a free for all to pull out last minute but 25 people with medical reasons for pulling out, I don't think it would be more than a handful, if that. This race has less than 200 entrants I think. Anyway not going to argue the point any further, I asked for opinions so that's what I've got!
    I see you had also 2 options you could have bought an insurance when you entered and or you were very much aware that the race would not sell out and it was your choice to enter so early.

Fair point about the insurance. And yes I entered early eyes open (discounted entry fee!)

Advertisement