Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The neighbour's cat in my friend's garden:

Options
  • 03-05-2019 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I don't know what's wrong with my other thread but I am unable to post in it for some reason.
    The situation is ridiculous.
    They left the kitched window open of the house with a cooked chicken on the counter, they were out the front garden working and gardening and doing some chores, when they came back in the cat was in the FUCKING kitchen.

It was eating the chicken on the counter and the kitchen reeked of piss.

Needless to say the chicken was tossed, the cat was ran and they called in professional cleaners to deep clean the kitchen

I appreciate that they may be bpartly to blame for leaving the kichen window open and leaving the chicken unattended on the counter, it's only a €5 chicken from the supermarket.

Thecleaning bill was reasonable too. The mother is ready to burst by the way.

Has anyone any other input?

Moderators, can you see what's wrong with the original thread and see what is stopping me from posting?
    Thanks all.

Should cat owners require a license for cats as dog owners do for dogs? 27 votes

No, the situation as-is is fine.
    0%
    Yes, mandatory microchipping and no free roaming. Held respoosible same as dog owners.
    100%
    SimiLudoAlunArmaniJeanssdixieflywiz569Leilakblackboxmessinkiapinajos22BaybaybladespinGraces7roper1664RachieePurplePoodleMuthajoebloggs32Hoboomiezekatze 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't leave windows open as anyone or obviously now they know an animal could get in especially if not in the house.

Deep clean was extreme to be honest I'm sure they could have given a quick clean themselves.

Are they looking for the neighbours to pay???

I would give them €2 for bleach or cleaning spray....and that be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Don't leave windows open as anyone or obviously now they know an animal could get in especially if not in the house.

Deep clean was extreme to be honest I'm sure they could have given a quick clean themselves.

Are they looking for the neighbours to pay???

I would give them €2 for bleach or cleaning spray....and that be that.

But no one knows where it could have pissed. Aren't they entitled to air out the house themselves without having to worry about other animals coming in? Isn't that what windows are for?

The soiling in the garden is continuing. It's frustrating for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I would be very surprised if the cat pissed in the kitchen- you have not mentioned if an offending puddle was seen.

More than likely the cat may have 'scented' the area to mark its territory which would still be unusual but more likely. It has a catty smell. Still gross either way.

I am still not entirely sure what you are asking here. The neighbours presented a bill to your friend? What 'mother'?

I would be very surprised if the cat pissed in the kitchen- you have not mentioned if an offending puddle was seen.

More than likely the cat may have 'scented' the area to mark its territory which would still be unusual but more likely. It has a catty smell. Still gross either way.

I am still not entirely sure what you are asking here. The neighbours presented a bill to your friend? What 'mother'?

Maybe it was a territorial marking then

Either way it reeked. I think it's a tomcat.

Get a dog...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

They want someone else to pay because they left a window open with a cooked chicken inside the room?

They should be thanking the cat for saving them from insect borne diseases from all the flys that would have **** on the chicken!

Insects are fine, you need an immune system.

The cat might be licking it's hole and transmitting toxoplasmosis.
    Some people are allergic to cats.

The cat should ideally be controlled by its owner but failing that is there any way to keep the cat out of the property?
    If you read my previous thread which I cannot post in for some reason, you'll see the heartache my friends are going through. It's not fair.

They have tried almost everything and none of it works.

They have tried
    Electronic sound
    Bottles (filled, half filled, empty, you name it).
    They even let another neighbour's dog wee there just to see if the scent would keep them away (no such luck).
    They don't want sprinklers because they'll go off when they are using the garden themselves, and they don't want hoses traipsing across the garden.
    Pepper ground up.
    Citrus peel.
    Water pistols when they come in (they just keep coming back).

As suggested by other posters:
    Vicks
    Deepheat
    Pepper and a combination of all above, even put it into a small box to let the smell gradually come out and not be rinsed off by the rain.

Nothing is working and it's annoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What did the neighbours say when approached about their mad cat wandering around?

They own the cat, and should be responsible for it.

They just shrugged from what my friend is saying.
    They are just saying "ah well, if it roams it roams". They say if they let it out of the house they can't stop it leaving the garden.

My friend suggested getting fence toppers in the neighbour's garden.

They neighbour agreed with a smerk and said, "you can pay for it and for installation, but if I cut myself on it you'll be getting a big medical bill" .... in other words "fuck off. The don't seem to give a fucking shit.

Can they do anything to keep the cat out without harming it if the neighbour doesn't do their bit to keep it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Yes, mandatory microchipping and no free roaming. Held respoosible same as dog owners.
    Set a trap!

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Set a trap!

Then do what? Not involving cruelty?

Can I drive it 100 miles away?

It'll stink up my car, I don't have a trailer or a tow hitch on my car.

They don't have a car or a van

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Crock Rock wrote: »
    They just shrugged from what my friend is saying.
    They are just saying "ah well, if it roams it roams". They say if they let it out of the house they can't stop it leaving the garden.

My friend suggested getting fence toppers in the neighbour's garden.

They neighbour agreed with a smerk and said, "you can pay for it and for installation, but if I cut myself on it you'll be getting a big medical bill" .... in other words "fuck off. The don't seem to give a fucking shit.

Not very nice neighbours it seems. Outdoor cats do wander, it's what they do, but it can be so irritating in an urban environment. To my mind such cats should be just on farms catching vermin etc. when on their travels.

I don't know what I would do. Probably just pay for the fence toppers. There is no way neighbour would be injured on it unless they were trying to get over the wall themselves. And get a camera installed facing the fence too. Good investment I think, would pay back lots for peace of mind. Mind you, would probably have to install fence toppers on all walls.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/security-solutions-black-wall-spikes-pack-of-8.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwza_mBRBTEiwASDWVvpqbZyXvtjcTQL6kuk_nQm5rIEiJZgg9ZMAtxFtUTk5kQ_vfhZagzxoCRHEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/stv-poison-free-defenders-prickle-strip-fence-top-flat-pest-deterrent.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwza_mBRBTEiwASDWVvjdrdg6kACKXIQMnr__S4B1YszFa_mjfr43OGdTd6yX2cdLLdd6grBoCHk0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not very nice neighbours it seems. Outdoor cats do wander, it's what they do, but it can be so irritating in an urban environment. To my mind such cats should be just on farms catching vermin etc. when on their travels.

I don't know what I would do. Probably just pay for the fence toppers. There is no way neighbour would be injured on it unless they were trying to get over the wall themselves. And get a camera installed facing the fence too. Good investment I think, would pay back lots for peace of mind. Mind you, would probably have to install fence toppers on all walls.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/security-solutions-black-wall-spikes-pack-of-8.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwza_mBRBTEiwASDWVvpqbZyXvtjcTQL6kuk_nQm5rIEiJZgg9ZMAtxFtUTk5kQ_vfhZagzxoCRHEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/stv-poison-free-defenders-prickle-strip-fence-top-flat-pest-deterrent.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwza_mBRBTEiwASDWVvjdrdg6kACKXIQMnr__S4B1YszFa_mjfr43OGdTd6yX2cdLLdd6grBoCHk0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They're not too keen on pyaing though.
    The whole situation is bollocks though.

Why can't cats be controlled or banned from roaming in urban environments.

Get a bigger cat???

They aren't home during the day, both work and the kid does be in the crèche.

Not fair on a dog and not fair to neighbours to let a cat out. They aren't cat people anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't like the idea of roaming cats and irresponsible owners. By all means, the creatures should absolutely have a right to roam (bell for the birdies too ;)), but that should mean that the owners take responsibility for any damage the cat does. I don't have pets in my house, I certainly don't want a strangers pet in my house.

Neighbours cat is using my garden as his toilet. I have a young child who plays in the garden. Is this something cat owners think is ok? I don't know if the cat is provided with a litter or anything. I am caging off the area he is using at the moment, but apart from that, what else can I do?

If you can't take responsibility for your pets, don't have pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My own cat is indoors only, and my garden is also used as a toilet by neighbour's cats, I understand how frustrating it can be. However, it does seem to me like your friends are being overly precious about this. If you have food out in your kitchen, you don't leave the window wide open for animals to come in, that's just common sense.. especially if you know there are cats around! If it hadn't been the cat, it could have been a rat or a bird, either of these would have caused more mess than the cat!

The neighbours could be a bit more understanding, but really, what can they do? The cats are used to the outdoors now, it would be difficult to keep them in now. And no matter what some people say, I don't think it's possible to confine a cat to your garden. The only thing your friends can do is put netting over areas of the garden that they want to keep the cat out of, and be more careful when opening windows. I do believe that people with outdoor cats should provide a sand pit or something in their own garden for their cats to use as a toilet, that could be something to suggest to your friends neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Needless to say the chicken was tossed, the cat was ran and they called in professional cleaners to deep clean the kitchen

Deep cleaning was a mistake - that just gives the cat encouragement to mark again if/when he's next passing through.

But it sounds like you/they are still refusing to accept that the only way to deal with an unwanted cat on your/their turf is to think like a cat. As pointed out on the other thread, all those fancy deterrents are a complete waste of time because as far as that cat is concerned, the garden is his. Unless you/they do something about that - i.e. in a way that he understands - the problem will not be resolved.

FWIW, here in France, a cat is legally considered to be on his home territory and not "roaming" or "straying" if he's within 500m of his registered address in an urban environment, or 1km in a rural environment. I don't often give the French praise for their laws, but that's a sensible attitude to take.

FWIW (2) I'd have been far more worried about eating a cooked chicken that had been left on a worktop than one that any cat has been picking at ... :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Moderators, can you see what's wrong with the original thread and see what is stopping me from posting?

Thanks all.

The original thread was locked due to trainwreck posting by some people, a remarkably common occurrence in cat threads.
    OP, could you please desist from the bad language? It's not necessary, and whilst the odd bit of swearing has its place from time to time, you're just laying it on a bit thick in your posts.

To all... A reminder that any discussion of cruelty towards any pet animals, or any recommending of illegal acts, will result in an automatic forum ban, and thread closure. Again.

Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

If this is having such a negative impact on your friends life I am baffled they haven’t contacted someone involved in cat behaviour to find out if there any tools or deterrents that actually work to deter cats from going into an area.

A simple phone call or survey of the garden could help solve this problem very quickly. Cats can run up walls up to 7feet tall but there could be something they could buy from abroad to fix to wall or simply put thorny wall climbers on perimeter or access points.

If it is not this cat it is going to be feral cats so if they are that determined to keep them out why don’t they contact someone who actually knows about cats for professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is an invading cat here. His new name is Stinkertom. Says it all. NB I live on a small island with few neighbours and before I came they had had a clearing of cats as, like many islands, they had not been neutered etc, TWO toms escaped the surgery. One is owned by the very man who insisted the island be cleared. A tom. He maintains that as there are no entire females here now..... I was quizzed on the ferry to find out if MY cats and dog were neutered,,,,

The second tom is Stinkertom.

His owner refuses to get him fixed and is not an easy person. . If i were elsewhere, I would catch him (the cat I mean) and take him to a vet, but cannot do that without folk knowing as i need to use the ferry...
    He apparently used to live here, so as in the cat the OP talks of, this is his territory. He gets in very occasionally and OH BOY! STINK . I once fell asleep with the door open.. woke feeling I was being gassed.

If I tried to get him fixed, there would be world war 3.. The owner is.....

Stinkertom also tries to terrorise my cats; I keep water handy and am a good shot. I would love to befriend him but not in his current state. The noise is blood curdling.

So, as I feel the OPs folk must do, I have adapted to and accepted the situation and work within it. Cats are fiercely and irrevocably territorial and it was the final work of that to leave a chicken out.. an invitation. No going back after that. One thing I have never ever done is feed Stinkertom.

Good luck OP and I mean that. But adapting is needed for peace

That is cruelty.

....... wrote: »
    That is cruelty.

agree totally..

....... wrote: »
    That is cruelty.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    agree totally..

Is it any different to capturing a stray dog and bringing him / her to the pound?

I'm not advocating cruelty, at least I hope I amn't.

Is it any different to capturing a stray dog and bringing him / her to the pound?

Yes - its condemning an animal to starve to death in unfamiliar territory (cats are insanely territorial too) as opposed to being humanely euthanised (or possibly claimed or rescued) in a pound.

Driving a cat 100 miles away to stray it is obviously a cruel thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I once left half a rhubarb tart on the kitchen counter while weeding in the garden. The backdoor was open so I could vaguely hear the radio. Some other noises started and I looked towards the window a few times but couldn't see a source until I went to the actual threshold and a magpie flew at me from inside. It had opened the cellophane and cardboard wrapping and devoured most of the remaining tart. It was a salutary lesson and I suggest your 'friends' view their experience as a similar episode.
    Lion droppings from the zoo are sometimes suggested for gardens with bad cat problems but I was told by an elderly neighbour that outdoor cats rarely mess on their core territory so it can be best to befriend the local top-dog :-/ felines and make my outdoors their outdoors. Dreamies work well. Your parents don't need to touch the cat or anything, just coo at it rather than shout and toss it a few treats so their garden becomes part of its territory. And close the windows to a slit unless they're in the room.

I cannot believe you think as you do. to the pound is one thing; dumping a cat who by the way is not a stray, 100 miles from home with no protection is quite another. So yes you are advocating cruelty.

And by the way, cats will home. google it. some have walked many many miles

These are intelligent and lovely creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Do you not consider this cruel? Horrible thing to want to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

. By all means, the creatures should absolutely have a right to roam (bell for the birdies too ;))
    If you can't take responsibility for your pets, don't have pets.

Cats learn to catch birds even when belled. I've watched my cats run through the yard chasing things, and their bells didn't jingle at all.

Cats will roam. Their rights, however, are granted by us. Fully support licensing and chipping. Cats will live longer healthier lives kept indoors. Dogs, too.

Ireland really is casual about its pets, try getting stray cats spayed or neutered if you live in a remote area like I do. I can catch them and pay the local vet (40 min drive) to spay them. The free spay/neuter types are only near the big cities .

Advertisement