Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are NSA encounters safe?

Options
  • 03-03-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I've been thinking of hooking up with someone for a casual encounter on Locanto, Craigslist etc...

Many people online say they've done this but my family and a few classmates say that it seems very unsafe. I don't think Ireland has murder/kidnapping from online meetings like the US or the UK would but still, is it an issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I've been thinking of hooking up with someone for a casual encounter on Locanto, Craigslist etc...

Many people online say they've done this but my family and a few classmates say that it seems very unsafe. I don't think Ireland has murder/kidnapping from online meetings like the US or the UK would but still, is it an issue?

Just have a bit of cop on and keep it safe and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Youve a very small chance of being murdered or kidnapped in a hookup in UK or USA too, you just hear about it happening there more than ireland because theyre bigger countries. Just try to get to know them a bit before, know that theyre real and who they claim to be at least, then meet them in a public place first if you want to be sure, if you feel comfortable around them theyre more than likely normal people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

368100 wrote: »
    Just have a bit of cop on and keep it safe and you'll be grand.

Pretty much this op.

Consider how you want to meet up with someone too, Craigslist discontinued their personals over a year ago. Did you discuss hooking up with someone with your friends/family or just get their opinions on anonymous hookups in general, your post confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I’ve had many, many a hookup. I don’t think I’ve ever felt unsafe, just make sure you have some sort of connection really. If it doesn’t feel right, then don’t do it.

Some of my hookups have been incredible, some mediocre, some ****e but not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Putting yourself in a vulnerable position with a stranger (presumably) alone is always going to have an element of danger, OP, but like others have said have your wits about you (ie don't get drunk, high etc) you should be fine. It's more likely whoever you're meeting is in your situation than is a possible Ted Bundy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Make sure you wear a condom, no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Gael23 wrote: »
    Make sure you wear a condom, no exceptions.

Really???I thought even HIV is very difficult to transmit among gay partners.

Why take the chance, with so many new infections annually its hardly that difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Did you forget your <sarcasm></sarcasm> brackets? I'm guessing yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Heebie wrote: »
    Did you forget your <sarcasm></sarcasm> brackets? I'm guessing yes.

Nope. The HIV virus is very fragile (however that gives it strength in its ability to evade detection from the human immune system). Apparently the probability of contracting HIV from anal sex with a gay partner is still very low. It's frequent contact that makes it so high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

HIV is not the only STI you need to protect yourself from, besides if your hookup is willing to bareback you having just met you then you can assume they have done that with others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yep, although HIV/AIDS is the 'scariest' of the STI's, genital warts are no picnic.

Or gonorrhea.

Or public lice.

Or syphilis.

Or chlamydia.

Or ...

well, you see where I'm going with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

HIV is not the only STI you need to protect yourself from, besides if your hookup is willing to bareback you having just met you then you can assume they have done that with others too.

Exactly this. Please honestly be careful with anyone who has a careless attitude towards safe sex regardless of their practices!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

NSA hook-ups are safe if you exercise caution with condoms; don't be wasted and just exercise some caution in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Nope. The HIV virus is very fragile (however that gives it strength in its ability to evade detection from the human immune system). Apparently the probability of contracting HIV from anal sex with a gay partner is still very low. It's frequent contact that makes it so high.

Just because there's a 1 in 123 chance of contracting the virus from a HIV+ partner doesn't equate to "I'd need to have sex 123 times to get it". That's now it works. Educate your self and be careful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have had unprotected sex with this clearly delusional view, please go get an STI test urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is bareback something you should never do?

I’m circumcised and I can climax much easier without a condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You really should only do it with someone you know and trust to both be tested regularly, after that you are taking a risk and have to accept any consequences of taking that risk. In my opinion it's never an option for me.

Don’t do it unless you’ve both been tested, and trust each other.

PrEP will soon be an option for many more people in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PrEP requires actual adherence to the dosing regime to be fully effective and doesn't protect against other STIs that condoms can.

While its a huge step forward that needs introduction urgently, it is not a miracle allowing 'safe' bareback. Reserve that for actually monogamous relationships after testing.

Its advised that you never do it with strangers, for good reason

Is wearing your seat belt something you should never do? Im sure youre old enough to know the risks

If you're in a monogamous relationship and you have both been tested then generally it's ok but as another poster mentioned it's still a risk, for a variety of reasons, and you accept the consequences.

Common sense should dictate that you never do it with a stranger or someone who's STI status is unknown.

L1011 wrote: »
    PrEP requires actual adherence to the dosing regime to be fully effective and doesn't protect against other STIs that condoms can..

Event-based dosing is being researched more and more, mostly all saying it’s the same once it’s done right. Obviously it does protect against HIV, but that’s the worst of the “common” ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Qrt wrote: »
    Event-based dosing is being researched more and more, mostly all saying it’s the same once it’s done right. Obviously it does protect against HIV, but that’s the worst of the “common” ones.

However, the official guidelines are still based on the fact that for someone to remain at maximum protective effect from the medications - they are required to follow a strict dosing schedule and not miss a dose.

Event-based dosing is being researched in the sense of emergency situations. For example needle stick injuries or sexual assault where this is the only line of defense.

Some event-based dosing research suggesting it could actually play a significant role in the rise of tenofovir and emtricitabine resistant HIV, in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Qrt wrote:
    Event-based dosing is being researched more and more, mostly all saying it’s the same once it’s done right. Obviously it does protect against HIV, but that’s the worst of the “common†ones.

That sounds like PEP (Post Exposure Prophalaxis) which had been around a lot longer than PrEP (PRe Exposure Prophalaxis)

There's event-based dosing of Truvada before an expected encounter also, but it's even more of an issue than the not having access to condoms should something unexpected occur - there's no Truvada machine in the toilets, and it isn't even available OTC in a pharmacy. So using it as your sole safety is even more dangerous.

There is a drug called Cabotegravir that is undergoing trials at the moment, if successful it will mean a single injection once every 90 days that will be enough to suppress HIV or act as a preventative measure.

Still requires regime compliance - plenty of depoprovera user pregnancies to show the issues with that

Keep wearing condoms for NSA. scientific improvements are not going to save you for quite some time yet if ever. And keep getting tested.

• Advertisement

Heebie wrote: »
    That sounds like PEP (Post Exposure Prophalaxis) which had been around a lot longer than PrEP (PRe Exposure Prophalaxis)

It’s not PEP. I’m fairly clued up on this matter.

Advertisement