Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing group work with members not engaging, help?

Options
  • 20-02-2019 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

So, I am a Mature Student and I have a presentation to do in 3 weeks that is worth 20% of my grade for that module.

We have to do it as part of a group, a group of 4. I was wondering if people could give advice on when I should become concerned about the non-participation of my group members, and if or when I should act on it.

To give a bit of context, as well as lectures we also have a weekly tutorial for that class where we will do the presentation. Also, the three people I am with are strangers to me, they are doing a different degree to me, we just share this module. They are all young, we're 2nd year so I'm guessing they are 18-20 year olds. It's not my first group project with non-mature students but its my first that has given me pause. We had to pull numbers out of a hat to be assigned to our groups and we have to sit as a group and work together in each of our tutorials.

Initially, we were only a group of three. We made a WhatsApp group in the first tutorial. The 2nd tutorial one of the group members was missing, the 3rd tutorial both other members weren’t in class. A person who hadn’t attended the tutorials up until this point was then added to our group by our TA. As we only had 3 in our group.

I put a message on our WhatsApp group yesterday afternoon suggesting we should meet briefly in the next two weeks to organise how we will do the presentation and divide the work and then come back together the week of the presentation and do work on it then.

We have classes next week, However, the week after that is our reading week/midterm(so no classes), then it’s the week of our presentation which is on the Thursday morning.

The other members haven’t replied to my message.

So, what are people’s advice and suggestions on how I should proceed?

My current plan is to not say anything for now and if my other group members are at the tutorial tomorrow (Thursday) I will mention organising meeting up briefly to do a plan in the next two weeks. Otherwise, I will message on WhatsApp again about it on Monday. If they still don’t engage, I will ask in the group is there a way other then WhatsApp they would prefer to be contacted. I feel if they don’t engage then I probably should escalate my response. The 3 others are doing a degree where they start work placement after reading week so that might affect things too.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence with groups esp in uni.
    If you have a group leader, it's up to them to organise, but by the sounds of things, you're it. Since you are 'it', you might as well make it work for you. Pick a topic that you are strong on and starting working on your part of the presentation. Assign parts to them. If they query the topic, say it was decided the day they weren't there as your TA needed an answer (screw them).
    When presenting, it is very obvious who worked and who didn't. The lecturers aren't stupid and will likely mark you separately based on the quality of the work.
    You might be tempted to do other parts to make the overall group look good, but don't take the bait. Some people take advantage of the mature students work ethic or guilting. Let them sink.

You didn't mention if the TA would be checking for any communications or not. If they are, you can always present the messages/emails and just state your concerns and ask for a group switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

pretty common.
    you need to look aftet your work and your results.
    some students, mature or otherwise, are lazy and willing to gain results on someone elses effort.
    advice given above is good.
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

There are also marks going for team work and co-ordination. These will become evident at interview stage. Could be between 5-10% you could be missing out on individually as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Honestly OP, these guys aren't in your class so you don't even have to worry about any bad vibes etc from classmates.

Pop a message in the WhatsApp and tell them you've chosen the topic since no-one was willing to discuss it, and that you'll be doing the portion on 'X', and then ONLY do that. Don't feel bad about contacting your lecturer and letting them know that you've had to do that. Although like others have said it will be super obvious they others haven't pulled their weight. The worst that can happen is that as a group you'll be asked in front of the class at presentation time why only your part is complete. if that happens just hang them, honestly. People take the absolute piss in group projects, they are AWFUL. All I ever learned from groupwork is to trust no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KungFuhrer

(What I wrote below is not an exaggeration, overly bitter or self-aggrandizing - I'm aware it might sound like that, but it's a simple description of an ongoing situation)

I just want to say that, unfortunately, this has been a common theme with most of all my group assignments. It got so bad I had to talk to the college counselor about anger management and felt my physical health was suffering due to stress.

I'm also a second year, in a very small class of 12 people - it's a technical area with maths and programming, and a few have already dropped out or failed modules. This is my second stint in college, I studied a 4-year undergrad in a completely different area after completing secondary school, worked for 5 years and decided I wanted a change - so that gives me some perspective about what college and students are like in general.

My current classmates have very, very poor work ethics, and coupled with the difficulty of the degree, it is now getting to the point where they actually aren't capable of completing the assigned tasks autonomously - the lecturers are becoming increasingly aware of this and have commented that most of our class group has extremely poor performance when compared to previous years. It's a shame because I was really hoping to engage with people who are interested in the topics we're covering, but the general attitude is "I'm doing this because they told me there's good money in it" :( I find myself relating more to people in other courses - some share some modules with us - as they are actually technically inclined and interested. It's an anomaly of a class group, but it's what I have. I was unlucky to have landed with these wasters, but now I have to make the best of it.

I really like the degree and I decided I wasn't going to be dragged down by them - especially after being let down in previous assignments. I study a lot on my own, especially advanced topics. My new strategy for group work is to do it by myself, as they are totally unreliable and, as I mentioned, they aren't even capable of actually implementing code/use the software required. I stopped caring about them, when before I felt like we had a shared responsibility to help each other. Whoever lands in my groups has decent marks, the rest have low 50s and 40s. Many lecturers assign an individual mark as well, and I do very well in that, but the overall group performance is still lower than mine. I thought things would change after the 1st year, but they seem to be deteriorating further.

Group work is, in my view, a complete waste of time. It's not like a work setting. There is no real responsibility or accounting. It assumes the group is invested and at a minimal performant level. The most vexing is when lecturers completely shirk off any responsibility and say they don't want to get involved in "drama" and we have to figure out how to collaborate - a.k.a., they don't care, as long as a typed report lands on their desk by the due date. It's not about in-depth learning or collaborating at all in this case, it's about reducing 4 or 5 people to one artifact that can be graded. Class of 30? Down to 7 or 6 reports. Class of 50? Down to 12 or 15.

TL;DR: do it by yourself, invest in yourself and finish the degree. Keep all channels of communication open - no point in assuming the worst, especially with people you haven't worked with before - but prepare yourself to the possibility they'll only try to engage, in a panic, a couple of days before the deadline. Get yourself covered, produce something you are comfortable presenting, and let them know they are welcome to add their contributions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement