Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Pikachu

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The visuals say otherwise however. It's a super fluffy pikachu in a miniature detective hat; he looks adorable, then blathers like a parent friendly Deadpool.

Like I said, maybe fans have some better perspective on this, but to this layman the dissonance is jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I guess that's part of the humour.
    I haven't played it myself but can hear the game voice in the game's trailer at about the 1:05 mark if you don't want to watch the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This will probably get taken down SO FAST!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Slydice wrote: »
    This will probably get taken down SO FAST!

Just starting to watch it now. The first 10 minutes are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

I grew up watching Pokemon and playing the games on the game boy but I recently took this quiz (linked below) to see if I could name all of the original 151 pokemon in 12 minutes. At one point I could have given you them in numerical order. Now I got something in the 30's.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/pokemon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

matrim wrote: »
    Just starting to watch it now. The first 10 minutes are amazing.
    I've got that scene - the long one, you know it - looping in my brain now. The soundtrack is particularly fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The infantalising of Hollywood blockbusters continues apace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The infantalising of Hollywood blockbusters continues apace.

042.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I can't believe the you tube link is still working. Will definitely rewatch it tonight once I'm home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quite surprised the YT link hasn't been caught yet: film definitely surprised, one of those kids films with something for everyone ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

p to the e wrote: »
    I grew up watching Pokemon and playing the games on the game boy but I recently took this quiz (linked below) to see if I could name all of the original 151 pokemon in 12 minutes. At one point I could have given you them in numerical order. Now I got something in the 30's.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/pokemon

Tried something similar myself and filmed it.

I really enjoyed it, and I correctly guessed the twist at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I enjoyed it a lot. Nostalgia definitely helps though as the story is a bit meh. I'd actually preferred if it was a straight up comedy rather than throwing all the action in there. Think it's stronger when the Pokemon and Reynolds are in focus rather than the 2 main human characters.

Psyduck and Mr Mime are the highlights along with Pikachu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

I thought it was fine, not bad the creature designs and effects were decent but not much more. Preferred the first half to the second half, feel they threw in a few too many twists too.

More in depth thoughts here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

branie2 wrote: »
    I'm going to see it this evening

Edit: Did you buy popcorn and a drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Saw it this morning. It was fine overall, and I was glad that Ryan Reynolds wasn’t too “Deadpool”. It did feel a bit too formulaic at times, and didn’t feel hugely different to some of the Pokemon moves from nearly 20 years ago.

However, I did like the CGI animation of the Pokemon and I especially loved the little twist at the end. You’ll see what I mean if you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

its very similar to Pokémon: The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back
    in the pokemon battles i didn't hear the trainers give pokemon attacks, i wondering to myself did warner bros ever play pokemon games to understand them.
    wtf tim couldn't recognize his own father voice from his pikachu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭starvin

The whole Pokémon thing passed me by when it was at its height of popularity. So I went in completely clueless, and enjoyed it. I’m sure there’s loads of insights that went over my head, but it didn’t really detract from the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just back from it big fan from years back hit all the right buttons for me only thing is I wish they did some actual catching

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I brought the young (8) fella who isn't really a pokemon fan at all. I watched maybe a combined 5 hours of the cartoon when I was younger so we both went in really not having a clue outside of what Pikachu looks like. I must say we both quite enjoyed it. I reckon fans will eat it up with all the hidden nods (Pikachu singing the theme song was a highlight). Ryan Reynolds really has the quick commentary stick down to a fine art. The young fella smith was decent and I was delighted to see Ken Watanabe rocking into a few scenes and playing it amazingly straight despite lines such as "why do you not have a pokemon companion"

All in all, a decent watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I thought it was enjoyable. Did anyone see Zootopia? The story is quite similar to it i thought

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Smertrius wrote: »
    wtf tim couldn't recognize his own father voice from his pikachu

I thought that too but to be fair
    I don't think he had talked to him since he was 11 so it's not a major stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Such a fun and cute movie with great CGI.

The twist was very obvious from the beginning, but didn't take from it.

Also, I felt old at wondering who the non 151 Pokemon, kids and their new Pokemon :o

Edit: Did you buy popcorn and a drink?

I did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Is Detective Pikachu the Pikachu from the cartoon or is he just a Pikachu?

I know very little about Pokemon despite the endless loop on Netflix and stacks Pokemon encyclopaedias and cards in the house.

The kids probably already know but just in case... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is Detective Pikachu the Pikachu from the cartoon or is he just a Pikachu?

I know very little about Pokemon despite the endless loop on Netflix and stacks Pokemon encyclopaedias and cards in the house.

The kids probably already know but just in case... :)

He's just A Pikachu I would think.

The film is more of an elseworlds Pokemon tale by the feel of it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

He's just A Pikachu I would think.

The film is more of an elseworlds Pokemon tale by the feel of it.

Thank you.

I might be able to use that to fake knowing something :P

Advertisement