Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TescoMobile launch 4G

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Been with Tesco years. Had to message them and raise a ticket to get them to look at 4g activation.

Seems to be working fine. bargain for 15 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭NewClareman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Tesco sucks try Vodafone data user plan or even Vodafone x plan

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057850162

I’ve a dual sim phone with Lycamobile and Vodafone. In rural Kerry and rural Limerick, Lycamobile data service is far better. Im pretty disappointed, as I have ongoing problems on Lycamobile with people unable to contact me. I’m seriously considering moving back to eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I've virgin media at home so am ditching Tesco now for the VM €5 a mth for 5 mths deal. Been with them before and found it to be v good, proper data. Tesco has been a nightmare for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I’ve a dual sim phone with Lycamobile and Vodafone. In rural Kerry and rural Limerick, Lycamobile data service is far better. Im pretty disappointed, as I have ongoing problems on Lycamobile with people unable to contact me. I’m seriously considering moving back to eir.
    Assuming your main number is with Lyca, just port that number and get another Lyca SIM for data. What's the Vodafone SIM used for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I've virgin media at home so am ditching Tesco now for the VM €5 a mth for 5 mths deal. Been with them before and found it to be v good, proper data. Tesco has been a nightmare for me.

As everyone saying it depends on where you are. I had an absolute nightmare with VM. Went with the same plan €5 for 5 months. Got out of it after a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Been using TM for years as picked up a very good post-paid contract early on which I've stuck to and using their Tesco vouchers offer where every €1 is worth €3 for your bill, I haven't paid them anything all year. My usage is fairly light as you might guess.

4G has now appeared for me at no extra cost as well although when I ran a speed test in Cork city it didn't exactly seem much of an improvement on the old H+ connection. Others seems to have seen huge improvements however.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

I was with Tesco mobile for years and then the network kept dropping. I live in Dublin.
    I had to switch to Virgin, great service.

However, I was wondering if anyone who put up with Tesco mobiles dropping service has moved to 4g and if it's any better from a line dropping point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

paska wrote: »
    I was with Tesco mobile for years and then the network kept dropping. I live in Dublin.
    I had to switch to Virgin, great service.

However, I was wondering if anyone who put up with Tesco mobiles dropping service has moved to 4g and if it's any better from a line dropping point of view.

No better after the 4g upgrade.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Assuming your main number is with Lyca, just port that number and get another Lyca SIM for data. What's the Vodafone SIM used for?

I’m not sure what your suggesting. I’ve been using Lycamobile for voice and data. I decided to try Vodafone, for 4G, as we’ve no fixed broadband when in Kerry. However, the 4G coverage is very spotty and generally I get a better dat service with Lycamobile. My friends with Vodafone are also getting failed calls in Kerry, with no notification. It really appears to come down to geographic location as to which service provider is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    No better after the 4g upgrade.

Same here

To thine own self be true

I’m not sure what you're suggesting.

You could use the best data SIM in one slot and the best voice SIM in the other slot of the dual SIM phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm having a senior moment.
    Can someone explain difference between the current 15 offer with this new 4g offer?

Any catch I'm missing i.e. Original plan you got calls and data and if you paid for texts you were left with a fiver

This plan you get calls and data and if you pay for texts (still €10?) you end up with a fiver.

No difference other than data is 4g and 5 extra gigs?

Edit :Oh.. 15 is taken so not enough to pay for texts so it would be €20 now versus original €15? i.e. 5 left over plus another fiver to get the texts

Slight change to the 4G plan which is now called Prepay 15.

They claim you keep the 15 credit but that's inaccurate...

https://www.tescomobile.ie/prepay-plans.aspx

https://www.tescomobile.ie/about-us/terms/tcs-prepay-15.aspx
    To avail of the Offer, customers must top up by a minimum of €15 in one go every 28 days and maintain a positive credit balance to continue to receive the Offer. Excludes any promotional top up credit received in that 28-day period – as promotional or plan credit has a 28-day expiry period. When you top up by €15 in one transaction, a €15 charge will be debited from your credit and the Offer will activate. This €15 charge will apply each time you top up by €15 in one transaction. Following the activation, Tesco Mobile will apply €15 Plan credit to your account to spend on out of bundle services. There is no carryover of Offer benefits allowance following any 28-day period. This includes the €15 Plan credit which has a 28-day expiry. If you top up again before the end of the initial 28-day term by €15, then a new 28-day term starts, and the Offer allowances are re-set.

The plan credit is only of use for out of plan services and / or buying addons and even then addons need to be bought before the credit expires on day 28. The text add-on for 5e would leave 10e to spend on other calls.

Or else you could buy 5GB + 1GB add-ons and if they continue to work as before then you get 56 days to use 6GB of data but no calls included without topping up again by 15.

It's not really a keep credit plan and they're not entirely up front about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Like what's the point of 15Gb of data on 4g.
    It's like giving you a car and only putting 5 euro of petrol for a month .

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

they give you 15GB to start the car and practice high speed driving ; when you start to like it, the allowance 'fuel' is gone and you'll buy data add-ons ( or worse, go in the expensive outside of bundle data costs, and burn through the credit )

for me 15GB was enough, and 4G was meant to lower the ping latency and improve call quality ( many operators carry voice as data bits over 4G data channels ) - but none of the above came true, so i moved to another network....

• Advertisement

15GB per month is 500MB per day. For people who just use their phone primarily on their commute to work to e.g. stream an episode of something that's all they'll need. And the faster the speed the higher the definition of that episode.

Also, speed isn't the only benefit 4G has over 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

15GB per month is 500MB per day. For people who just use their phone primarily on their commute to work to e.g. stream an episode of something that's all they'll need. And the faster the speed the higher the definition of that episode.

Also, speed isn't the only benefit 4G has over 3G.

500 mb is nothing in this day and age . Fair enough some users will get by but by and large it's very skinny.
    I use 3 unlimited all you can eat for 4g and it's for the most part good. Free calls to three free texts to every network and still keep the 20 credit to call other networks but I never call other networks and use the credit for movies on the play store.

Each to there own I suppose.

I said 15 because you mistakenly said 15 first. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Looks like Gomo is beginning to bite! About time the previous plan was miserable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I never go over it. And have online radio playing all day most days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I know it says keep your credit. But in the small terms and conditions it mentions expires after 28 days. That's a bit of a con.

Advertisement