Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone - Discounted phone when you switch-Dunnes Valueclub mailing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

You could also buy Tesco mobile sim for only ten euros on there thirty day plan and then use this to port if already with Vodafone and need new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Or just order a free meteor sim online.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aye. Who the hell pays for a SIM? Tesco has free SIM packs in most stores last time I looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

unkel wrote: »
    Aye. Who the hell pays for a SIM? Tesco has free SIM packs in most stores last time I looked.

€5 for Tesco sims. Free if you buy €15 topup at the same time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Lyca sim is free. Available in most Asian shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Can i sign up for clubcard and avail of this after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

mac.in wrote: »
    Lyca sim is free. Available in most Asian shops.

You can't switch from a Lyca mobile SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

If someone has a voucher and do not intend to use it, I'd happily take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Is the smart prime a decent phone for a casual user? Looking to get a new phone for my mother. She just wants basic functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

The 20euro credit will be a printout I assume and I could give it to someone else? They don't put credit on phone number I'm switching?

I would be on for buying it with a old sim and giving credit to family member and getting phone unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Which of these phones would be best and have longest life? Limited info their specs on Vodafone site. Nokia 3 seems to have 2GB RAM which should help a lot compared to 1GB of the Smart Prime.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Or just order a free meteor sim online.

I tried the website but you have to add at least €20 topup with free sim card maybe different in store but online its this way. Also same with the rest online just Tesco has the cheapest minimum required to get sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

How do I redeem this offer ?

How do I redeem this offer ?

Get voucher bring to vodafone store to buy phone with non vodafone activated sim card (working on another network) and port number to vodafone. They will help you instore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

jhud wrote: »
    I tried the website but you have to add at least €20 topup with free sim card maybe different in store but online its this way. Also same with the rest online just Tesco has the cheapest minimum required to get sim.

You might not do this correctly:

Go to https://www.meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/simplicity/

Scroll down to "1 Order a Free Sim or buy a phone"

Click on "order a sim"

Click "Order a free Sim card" under "New to meteor"

Choose your Sim size

And voila after you entered all of your details your free SIM is on the way.

Click on "order a sim"

Choose your Sim size

Thanks very much this works i just ordered sim now.

Click on "order a sim"

Choose your Sim size

Do VF do any checks on sim cards?

Orders weren't going through for me with free meteor sims online recently

I got the text and placed the orders but they were cancelled after

Do VF do any checks on sim cards?

Orders weren't going through for me with free meteor sims online recently

I got the text and placed the orders but they were cancelled after

Vodafone has their own criteria for online orders and might reject any order from a customer for reasons they only know. Maybe they suspect you game the system, they don't think they like you on their network due to history you had with them or the porting failed.

When it comes to porting, all they do is request the port from Meteor after they have verified that you are the actual owner. This is done by sending you a text for example. They than request the port and meteor needs to approve it. It might fail there if meteor does suspect you only got the free sim to play this game. It might help if your register the sim with meteor once you get it and than do a port after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Last time the dine this offer I got a phone but they also made me top up the vf sim by 20€ so be aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

if anybody has a spare voucher i'd appreciate it . My dad says he got vouchers recently but nothing about the offer was on the back

• Advertisement

It's not on the back of the vouchers themselves.

It's on the back of the booklet that came with the vouchers with contains offers, marketing material and other information.

Maybe have a look again if he still has that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sapphade wrote: »
    if anybody has a spare voucher i'd appreciate it . My dad says he got vouchers recently but nothing about the offer was on the back

The barcodes on them are not unique to the cardholder so can be used by anyone, should be loads of people who won't use them. The voucher is on the back cover of the booklet so could be missed if you casually looked at it, everyone who gets the vouchers should have it.

cheers guys , hopefully he hasn't binned the booklet .

If anyone has a spare I'd like it

Looking to get one of the kids a fone

Thanks

Found the grocery vouchers but I'm told no little booklet came with it . Thanks anyway folks was worth a shot 😫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nokia 3 looks like good value for the price. Nice basic compact phone.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

If you didn't want to move to Vodafone, would they be easy to get unlocked?

Just an update i ordered a meteor sim thanks to Yggr of Asgard instructions. It arrived free of charge. I then went online to meteor and registered the phone number with my details. They made one free call number call and sent free text to setup voicemail with meteor. Then called into vodafone store with voucher and told the guy that phone was for my daughter and that we have not decided on the plan she wants as it was 20 euro spotify or the 20 euro all you can eat as he wanted to add the credit to the phone number account so instead he gave me the voucher for the credit as he had to show it on the bill in order to get the phone with offer. So you will need to buy the credit also which is 20 euro. But I now have the nokia 3 and it is only available in black they have with 20 euro credit voucher which i will use for my account when i am due which is soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

I want to get this for my mother, Do I need to have her phone with me?
    thanks

• Advertisement
    M

jhud wrote: »
    But I now have the nokia 3 and it is only available in black they have with 20 euro credit voucher which i will use for my account when i am due which is soon.

Any ideas how easy this phone is to unlock? I tried searching on Ebay and there's nothing, typically with almost any phone available you will be able to get an unlock code there easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

My experience is that Vodafone Ireland phones are costly to unlock. But they'll give you unlock code after you top up around 200 eur in a year.

https://sim-unlock.net/simlock/Nokia/3/ i have used this site a few times to unlock iPhones . i did have one occasion where they could not unlock a three ireland phone and i was refunded . they do samsung and sony phones for 20-30ish also i think

the nokia 3 is a new phone so I'm not sure if they can get the unlock code but if i pick one up ill try the site myself and report back . This is the link to the samsung J3https://sim-unlock.net/simlock/Samsung/Galaxy_J3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What's people's thoughts on the Nokia 3?

Is it pure android or loaded with Vodafones bloatware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Been honest. I am very interested in switching to Vodafone and getting the Nokia 3. But again been honest, the Pay As You Go plans are awfully poor offerings.

The only decent one is the student offer! I ain't a student anyway to get this?

normakelle wrote:
    I want to get this for my mother, Do I need to have her phone with me? thanks

I had the sim in my dual sim phone with me he asked for number but was he never took phone or verified so go to a quite shop to try your look but I suspect you will be required to have it with you.

TallGlass wrote:
    Been honest. I am very interested in switching to Vodafone and getting the Nokia 3. But again been honest, the Pay As You Go plans are awfully poor offerings.

TallGlass wrote:

TallGlass wrote:

The plans are not great but if you are part time student with valid I'd it should work not really age restricted.

Phone was free of all bloatware well it only had 2 Vodafone apps both can be stopped and uninstalled.

Phone seems fine so far I found it more responsive then my moto g 2nd gen which is two and a half years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Farango

if someone have voucher can you please send me on PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

got the Nokia 3 today. The rep ported the number and gave me the credit. Didn't ask what plan I wanted. So got home and chanced my meteor sim in it. Lo and behold the Nokia 3 is sim free happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

jonny_b wrote: »
    got the Nokia 3 today. The rep ported the number and gave me the credit. Didn't ask what plan I wanted. So got home and chanced my meteor sim in it. Lo and behold the Nokia 3 is sim free happy days!

Did you try the Vodafone SIM in it to make sure it's not a case of it locking to the network of the first SIM you put in it?

Quackster wrote: »
    Did you try the Vodafone SIM in it to make sure it's not a case of it locking to the network of the first SIM you put in it?

Just checked. Both networks working fine

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just checked. Both networks working fine

Excellent news, thanks. Will pick up one myself in the next few days. Did they have any choice of colours?

Quackster wrote: »
    Excellent news, thanks. Will pick up one myself in the next few days. Did they have any choice of colours?

Only had black in kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

Anyone have voucher code they not using?? I would be very grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

TallGlass wrote: »

Ben using one a few weeks and there would be only apps from the operators installed which are removeable. Its a great phone for the money even to buy at cost price and its not a cheap build quality its solid, the camera is also great for its price range ive posted some images on my social and everyone agrees with the detail it picks up. Anyone else has any questions fire away..

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Ben using one a few weeks and there would be only apps from the operators installed which are removeable. Its a great phone for the money even to buy at cost price and its not a cheap build quality its solid, the camera is also great for its price range ive posted some images on my social and everyone agrees with the detail it picks up. Anyone else has any questions fire away..

Strange you are the second person who said there were operator apps installed. I picked one up today and there was no Vodafone apps on it at all. And it is unlocked too. Was it one that slipped their net before locking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Strange you are the second person who said there were operator apps installed. I picked one up today and there was no Vodafone apps on it at all. And it is unlocked too. Was it one that slipped their net before locking it.

First batches are normally unlocked to get them out in peoples hands,then after a while they will be,this goes for most operators. Happened with many phones for me over the years..Mine was direct from HMD Global though and free of all junk but its pot luck now with phones locked etc,would depend on store too and how fast they go through stock.

I picked up Nokia 3 in tullamore earlier, no sign of any pre installed vodafone apps and it was also unlocked . I am happy out . Thanks all fro the info posted in this thread and many thanks to Wowbagger for being kind enough to send me a voucher

M

sapphade wrote: »
    I picked up Nokia 3 in tullamore earlier, no sign of any pre installed vodafone apps and it was also unlocked . I am happy out . Thanks all fro the info posted in this thread and many thanks to Wowbagger for being kind enough to send me a voucher

Any hassle switching, do they get you to make a call to their phone from yours or check how long you have had the SIM your switching from? The SIM I had planned to switch from is expired from lack of use so going to pick a new SIM up later but not sure if I need to stick credit on it or not first.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement