Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masonry Paint

• 19-05-2017 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Valspar Masonry paint has gone on offer in B&Q, you can get any colour you want :pac: as it is mixed to order
    18486019_10209309660842180_8929945515391558855_n.jpg?oh=7c2d8c948fc8c89107b77248ed50573f&oe=59A13434

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Roscommon John

Please for the love of god stay away from that stuff. Using cheap masonry "outdoor paint" is asking for trouble. It's cheap because it's S..T. Valspar have become a very poor brand, I have 30 plus years painting experience and have used the B&Q valspar, it's rubbish. If painting outside use Sandtex or Dulux, i recommend Sandtex, i find dulux too runny but they have a better color selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

What's the Leyland Trugard stuff like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

12L of Sandtex in B&Q for €37

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

Please for the love of god stay away from that stuff. Using cheap masonry "outdoor paint" is asking for trouble. It's cheap because it's S..T. Valspar have become a very poor brand, I have 30 plus years painting experience and have used the B&Q valspar, it's rubbish. If painting outside use Sandtex or Dulux, i recommend Sandtex, i find dulux too runny but they have a better color selection.

I've used the Valspar masonry paint and find it really good its a thick well covering paint. Valspar paint is far from rubbish the interior paint in the gold can is the best paint I've ever used I won't paint with anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 i know u know

Iv used valspar for years and find it excellent. They have every colour possible. The paint is not running like dulux paint and I find it has great coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

I would recommend Decor Warehouse for the paint. Lots of paint and some brands like Dulux sell only for 1/3 of the shop price. Painted the entire house inside out and saved quite a few bucks and the staff is very friendly and helpful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

If you want decent paint and proper advise go to a paint shop
    If your not too pushed you may get lucky in a diy store but they do sell a lot of rubbish paint and theer is a better chance the staff haven't a clue what they are selling

Dulux
    Weathershield
    Colourtrend and sandtex are the better exterior paints

Dulux or their trade version Armstead can be fine for inside
    Colourtrend is great for inside
    These are a little more expensive
    So if it's your garage versus your kitchen maybe spend accordingly

These 1 coat ceiling paint or similar for woodwork in your house are never bought by anyone in the trade

30 yrs at it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EugenesDIYDen

Sandtex is quite good. Painted the house 12 years ago and it only needs to be repainted now. I have pebble dash walls (a pain in the arse to paint, lots of dabbing involved) and the paint is quite thick, so to get it to run in between the pebbles, I thinned it by adding about 10% (or probably more) water. Didn't have any detrimental effect as regards peeling. They don't recommend it though, but they would say that because less paint is needed. Don't over thin though, for obvious reasons.

Has anyone used Johnstone's masonry paint? I always use their gloss because it's good quality and much cheaper than the competitors.

Advertisement