Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domiciliary Care Allowance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

He didn't tick profound or severe for all of them but did for some as far as I can remember. On one fo the reports it says that my son 28 months old but his speech and communication is that of a 10 month old child. It says that his social skills is that of a 15 month child and his eye hand coordination is that of a 15 month old child as well. Hopefully this will show themn how bad things can be.

The doc didn't seem to think there would be a problem with getting. Have to just wait and see now I suppose. It's a bit of a lotto really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RowenaK

lucyjoc wrote: »
    hi there, the waiting list for appeals is 18mths at the mo, i sent in appeal in Oct after been refused on review and rang them during the week to see how things were coming along and thats what the man on the phone told me. The trick is to get your TD involved as soon as you get refused and get him to intervene during the review process and before it gets to the appeal officer. They're also reviewing on a yearly basis from now on and it will only take a few weeks to do the review if you request it yourself, if you wait for them to review you then the process can take months and if you get refused then you have to go through the appeals process and you're dca and carer's allowance is stopped while all this is going on!! Its ridiculous!
    Are you serious!!, 18 months is outrageous, my DCA was revoked on review in December, they received my appeal on 9th Dec and I rang up last month and was told my appeal had moved from a queue to another queue and a deciding appeals officer hadn't been attached to that queue yet, so we have to wait for that!- I asked how long will this take he says "how long is a piece of string"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Get in contact with the autism society. Also there is a program on BB2 about this condition next week, but not sure what day it is on.

Best of Luck

http://www.autism.ie/

http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/autism-and-asperger-syndrome-an-introduction/what-is-autism.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucyjoc

RowenaK wrote: »
    Are you serious!!, 18 months is outrageous, my DCA was revoked on review in December, they received my appeal on 9th Dec and I rang up last month and was told my appeal had moved from a queue to another queue and a deciding appeals officer hadn't been attached to that queue yet, so we have to wait for that!- I asked how long will this take he says "how long is a piece of string"

they send the appeal back to the dca section to review again before they look at it so i'd ring them and ask them for an update and if the file has gone back to the appeal officer yet, keep ringing for regular updates (not that its doing me any good! Ive started emailing the appeals office now so at least i have a record of correspondence with them!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

lucyjoc wrote: »
    they send the appeal back to the dca section to review again before they look at it so i'd ring them and ask them for an update and if the file has gone back to the appeal officer yet, keep ringing for regular updates (not that its doing me any good! Ive started emailing the appeals office now so at least i have a record of correspondence with them!)

The program on BB2 tonight at 9pm is convening autism and the preview I saw of it looks very informative. Therefore you should tell the health people to watch it as they may learn something ie how difficult it is for parents with children with this condition.

Also next week at the same time it is dealing with dementia. That one I will be watching it as I got family suffering with that condition and I know from experience that the health professions do not understand that condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Smellysocks, have you heard anything back yet.

Hi Jass,

Nothing yet. They recieved the form 23/3/12. Rang them tuesday and they said it would be another 3 weeks at least. At least the proccess has been kicked off though.

Well guys,

Got a letter back today from them. Not entitled to dca. Needless to say I'll be putting in an appeal. Great little country we live in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 misscolt

I was turn down july 2011 for dca and i never appealed .. reapplied in march 20th 2012 didnt think i would get it but got a letter today saying i was granted it so if u get turned down dont give up :)

misscolt wrote: »
    I was turn down july 2011 for dca and i never appealed .. reapplied in march 20th 2012 didnt think i would get it but got a letter today saying i was granted it so if u get turned down dont give up :)

Hi Misscolt. Delighted for you. Did you put in any extra info etc? Just trying to get my appeal together. Not sure what else I can put in it. They said I didn't have enough medical evidence. I had a phsycologist report, OT report and the section filled out by the GP. They also told me that my childs disability is not in question. They said that it's obvious that my child needs extra care and attention but not substantially more care and attention. Sickening really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 misscolt

thats wat they said to me the first time ..but i have since learned that most ppl get turned down first time anyway .best thing to do is get reports from everyone ur child see and put in everything u do for ur child from when they get up till they go to bed .and if needs be get letters of support from ur doctor stating why u should b granted it ..:) gud luck

I pretty much done all of that already. Had o/t, phsycologist reports and Gp reports. Had a letter from HSE saying that my child has a disibility. Wrote out the extra care and attention from the minute he wakes up and goes to bed.

Don't know what else I can do. Will just get on with it and send the appeal in. Write a letter why I feel we should be granted it I suppose.

Well,

I couldn't get a letter from my GP for the appeal. But I have since received a report from his EIT (Pshycologist and Occuptational therapist) saying that they believe my child is entitled to it and that they have seen first hand the extra care and attetion he needs. Hopefully this will do the trick.

"Lack of medical evidence" still sickens me.

People like us can only get so much evidence because of the shocking state of the HSE.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Got a letter today, finally got allowance. This is after initial rejection, second rejection which went then to an oral hearing. We'd written out what an average day is like for him, how much extra care and attention he needs. Every single receipt from hearing tests, mri's, and two years of speech therapy, occupational therapy etc.

They couldn't not say that he needed additional support. Took a while though, started December last year.

Well done. At long last!!

I have been chasing it up everyday with a lot of people both in the department and in my local community. Should have an answer within 10 weeks hopefully. I have a letter now saying from my childs early interventing team that he needs the extra care and attention and that they also fully support the request for dca.

I mean, the kid has been diagnosed with a profund intellectual disability. Not mild ,not severe, but profund.

It's just blatantly clear that they are denying people what they are entitled to. And it sickens me.

The dept. has pretty much said that they can see it's clear my son needs extra care and attention but they feel due to the lack of medical evidence that they think he doesn't need substantially extra care and attention.

Smellysocks, you need to get to a child pediatrician or consultant in a hospital who can do up a report on your child.In my experience i too sent in OT,Speech Therapy reports etc however they were not worth the paper they were written on.It was only after getting refused once and then on appeal again and really at the stage where i could take no more that my GP referred to a consultant who assessed my child fully .It was only then that i received the Dom.Over the years i too like many parents had spent all of my savings on reports so that my child could access the treatment he needed. Dont waste any more time going around in circles get your Doctor to refer you is my advice.

Hi Jass. Thanks very much. Got approved for the dca last month!! So happy days.

Just waiting on the carers allowance now. Fun and games.

Thanks for the advice though.

Ah Smellysock thats great.Now dont get me started on the Carers Allowance.I am now on week 30 and was told to add another 12 to that yesterday when i rang.But good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lionheart09

The dept. has pretty much said that they can see it's clear my son needs extra care and attention but they feel due to the lack of medical evidence that they think he doesn't need substantially extra care and attention.

hi, i have been following this board for some time now but never messaged anyone. i applied for Dom,s on 5th july and received a letter last week with a refusal which said exactly the same as your letter. my son has autism and was wondering what you did on your appeal that you were granted next time round. i have been taking advice from everyone when i applied by writing the daily routines etc. i am now waiting for letters from people stating his does need the extra care, is there anything else i need to do any advice is great thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭nowyouresix

lionheart: request an interview on appeal, and bring your child. When I applied, I brought my autistic child to the interview, he created havoc in the waiting room, and practically wrecked the office- just the type of stuff he was doing at home, and was accepted.
    Good luck :)

hi nowyoursix
    thanks for your input i have spoken to my local TD and they have said when i have the letters from everyone that to contact him again and they will request the oral for me and will certainly bring my son as there won't be an office left after we are done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭nowyouresix

Best of luck lionheart :)

Get onto Joan Burtons constituency office as well. Email them and tell them what your gonig through each day. Also get you local td's involved as well.

Most importantly get his therapists etc. to specifically request the dca.

This is exactly what I done after the initial rejection.

Best of luck.

Get onto Joan Burtons constituency office as well. Email them and tell them what your gonig through each day. Also get you local td's involved as well.

Most importantly get his therapists etc. to specifically request the dca.

This is exactly what I done after the initial rejection.

Best of luck.

thanks for your advice i will do exactly that i am seeing my own local TD this week and waiting letters from all therapist and doctors so hopefully all will go well fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Jasssss wrote: »
    Ah Smellysock thats great.Now dont get me started on the Carers Allowance.I am now on week 30 and was told to add another 12 to that yesterday when i rang.But good luck.

No way. Hv only just applied for CA (hv DCA already) but barely surviving as is.

No way. Hv only just applied for CA (hv DCA already) but barely surviving as is.

Just keep fighting. It's never ending. We eventually got approved for the DCA on appeal after getting letters from therapists etc specifically requesting the DCA. We are now waiting for the carers allowance and are being told of waiting times of up to 45 weeks.

Well,

I just just rang the section.

An average waiting time of 24 - 28 weeks for new applications and renewals.

How long are people waiting here?

hi all just to let you know been refused domiciliary again but have appealed told i could be waiting over 12 months for decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 STAR2011

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, wasn't sure wherther to this or start a new one!
    My sister has an appeal hearing tomorrow for the DCA for her son, can anyone tell us what to expect! As in, is it one person, a board, how long the process will take etc etc.
    We have all the info together, consultants reports, doctors reports, letter from school re missing days, pharmacy letter with list of medications etc etc!
    Any help would be appreciated :)

Advertisement