Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SAMSUNG 50" Full HD, 3D, TV with FREE 3D Blu-ray player & 3 pairs of 3D glasses £999

• 08-10-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Another one from HUKD.

Both Dixons and Currys in the UK are selling this at £999/€1140 (XE conversion). I think this is a fantastic deal.

You can get discounts of up to £60 at Dixons or £30 at Currys if you can avail of Quidco. You may need a UK resident to do this for you.

You can only order online on the Dixons site for delivery in the UK so if you have an address up North you can get the Dixons deal.

At Currys you can reserve online for collection at the Newry branch.

I signed up for Quidco and went for the Currys deal, paid £999 in Currys and should get £30 back. Delighted with the TV.... just need something 3D now.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-50-3d-ready-tv-with-free-3d-blu-ray-player-and-3-pairs-of-3d-glasses-07980543-pdt.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Oooh. That is a great deal. I am very tempted to get this but I cant really justify it with xmas coming up... What to do :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

That sounds a great deal.......... Go for it i say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Currys are running a similar offer instore at moment i think.

roughly €1200 for Samsung 3D tv LCD 40", including the 3D DVD player and 2 pairs of glasses, and when you register it online with samsung they will send you another pair of the glasses free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

muboop1 wrote: »
    Currys are running a similar offer instore at moment i think.

roughly €1200 for Samsung 3D tv LCD 40", including the 3D DVD player and 2 pairs of glasses, and when you register it online with samsung they will send you another pair of the glasses free.

The main point of contention to be had with that deal, ignoring the obvious difference in screen size, is that 3D viewing on an LCD is different than on a plasma due to how both display technologies handle crosstalk differently; there's an article that explains the differences and limitations of both LCD and plasma here. As such, this should be taken into consideration before spending such a large amount of money on a TV. I'd also recommend anyone seriously considering buying a 3D TV to test both LCD and plasma implementations of 3D in store and see which they prefer, as there's no point of going through the hassle of buying a TV, bringing it home, not liking it and then exchanging it for something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

Just to confrim the deal here. It's a 50 " plasma set.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-50-3d-tv-with-free-3d-blu-ray-player-and-3-pairs-of-3d-glasses-08337961-pdt.html

The price is € 1199. In store stocks are good but there's free nationwide delivery also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Anyone pick one of these up yet??? Whats the set like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Davexirl wrote: »
    Anyone pick one of these up yet??? Whats the set like?

I have 1 and its class AAAAA1 Sharon but it cost me 1800 in power city 4 weeks ago :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Carpenter wrote: »
    I have 1 and its class AAAAA1 Sharon but it cost me 1800 in power city 4 weeks ago :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ahh no, did you get the Blu Ray player aswell??? or just the TV?

Good Girl Sharon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Davexirl wrote: »
    Ahh no, did you get the Blu Ray player aswell??? or just the TV?

Good Girl Sharon

Hi
    Yes I got the Blu Ray in that price all I can say is if you have the cash snap it up it,s great for a night in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I picked one of these up on Thursday, its all set up now and I'm delighted with it.

I have NTL digital over Composite :eek: and the quality is quite good on the Plasma display. Composite is probably the worst quality connection type but its the only one my NTL box supports. Time for Sky HD/3D me thinks.

Avatar over Blu Ray using the Blu Ray player as part of this deal is superb.

The TV also supports DLNA and has a built in Media Player so as soon as I connected it to my LAN (Wired) it found my hard drive and it streams all of my content (Vids/Avi Films/Music) including AVCHD files from my HD camera. This is the killer feature for me.

The Blu Ray player also has Internet TV so I can connect to the Internet through the supported Apps one of which is You Tube.

Only feature I haven't tried yet if the Freeview HD.

I got a demo of 3D in the store and it was excellent, however I haven't been able to find any 3D content. If anyone knows where to get the Black Eyed Peas 3D video then PM me, this is what they used as the demo in the shop.

I would have no hesitation recommending this TV/Package. I think its a great deal and the features (if you connect them all up) will keep you busy for weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Dazzy wrote: »
    Only feature I haven't tried yet if the Freeview HD.

You wont get it unless you can receive DTT (digital tv through an aerial) from the UK

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You wont get it unless you can receive DTT (digital tv through an aerial) from the UK

Thats must be why there is no F-Type connector on the back :D

I wrongly assumed it came through a Sat connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭digiman

Will it be compatible with the Irish DTT service?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Another one from HUKD.

Both Dixons and Currys in the UK are selling this at £999/€1140 (XE conversion). I think this is a fantastic deal.

You can get discounts of up to £60 at Dixons or £30 at Currys if you can avail of Quidco. You may need a UK resident to do this for you.

You can only order online on the Dixons site for delivery in the UK so if you have an address up North you can get the Dixons deal.

At Currys you can reserve online for collection at the Newry branch.

I signed up for Quidco and went for the Currys deal, paid £999 in Currys and should get £30 back. Delighted with the TV.... just need something 3D now.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-50-3d-ready-tv-with-free-3d-blu-ray-player-and-3-pairs-of-3d-glasses-07980543-pdt.html

I clicked onthe link and it fdoesnt say anything about a blu-ray player or free glasses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Thats must be why there is no F-Type connector on the back :D

I wrongly assumed it came through a Sat connection.

Freesat comes through satellite and is very different to Freeview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Saw this today in Currys

I think its fair to say the bright environment isn't great for judging picture quality but as far as i could see, the black levels on this set are nowhere near as good as panasonics, it was near an LG 42pj550(a sub €500 plasma) and the LG's blacks looked darker

Now i know a load of different things could cause this to appear so but thought it was relevant none the less...

My mate bought this yesterday and I have to say I am impressed with the screen, was very impressed with the 2D -> 3D it really does work. HD Channels looked great, was watching ITV HD last night and the Xfactor was on and the stage looked brilliant on the Tv with all the lights colours and everything looked great.

Played PRO PES2011 on the Ps3 with the 3D on and the movement on the screen was fantastic everything looked slicker.

Only problem was Currys had no 3D glasses left, we only the one in the box so we had to share the glasses around to look at 3D, said they have a back order of glasses for 30 people and will have them in this Wednesday.

I downloaded 3D videos from here http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-movies.html and just put them on my USB stick and plugged it into the TV, was too easy. TV recognised it straight away and it went into the Media player. The Nürburgring 24 Hour Race video looked great.

If I had the money I'd snap this offer up, the TV is great and you get the the 3D Blu Ray player.

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I clicked onthe link and it fdoesnt say anything about a blu-ray player or free glasses?

Looks like the deal is finished at Currys UK. Based on an earlier post it look like Currys in Ireland still have it for €1200.

Looks like the deal is finished at Currys UK. Based on an earlier post it look like Currys in Ireland still have it for €1200.

When I was in Currys yesterday the salesman said that it will probably last till Wednesday as new deals start every Thursday in Currys.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, it's only finished as an online offer in the UK, but it can still be bought instore.
    I think they finished it online, as people were using Quidco along with money off vouchers, so bringing the price down to about £930 after cashback.

Couldn't be expecting DSG to keep the offer running for that money.

I can confirm that the deal lasts until Wednesday

Hi Declan.
    Can you confirm that the Irish offer includes 3 pairs of glasses?

I was given one pair when I purchased, and was told I can collect my other pair when the stock arrives in this week.:confused:

It's a 3 sets deal alright. Wasn't aware that there was a stock problem with the glassses

Yeah.
    Even though I haven't collect the set yet, I was told to take one pair of glasses away with me there and then, as they're liable to be given out to someone else.

This was in Mahon Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Am I wrong in saying that these TVs are 'upscalers' of 2D content to "3D"?:confused:

You're wrong and not wrong, all at the same time! ;)

These tv have the ability to convert a 2d signal into a psuedo-3d picture. It's obviously not "real" 3d, but it's a fair good stab at it.
    They're also able to display full 1080p-3d.

So they do a 2d to 3d conversion, and they also do full 3d.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

This offer is stil running was told fby a friend who works for DSG

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

This is running again in Currys and Powercity - any feedback from people who bought this first time round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 implosive

Got this tv the other week !! Great job !! The 3d is beautiful :)
    The only problem i have with it is that i cant get my sky remote to work with it!!
    not really a big deal just have to use the tv remote for volume :(,
    if any of yous get yours to work can you let me know the code you used !!
    tried all the samsung codes i could find ( could be that the tv is too new )
    gunna get onto the sky support and see what they say !;)

Advertisement