Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei P30/P30 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Looking to get a nano card for my phone but can't find any only on ebay but they look dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's ones on Amazon.co.uk that are Huawei branded and sold directly by Amazon so I'd say they're safe enough.

Sorry should have said looking for the 256gb card but can't find them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sonos one is a nice piece of kit, but like j_mo said, no google assistant for a while in Ireland. Alexa is fine, but for some reason it cuts out after about a minute of talking to it for me. But for playing spotify and stuff through, it's great. You can pair up 2 for stereo speakers which would be a nice little setup.
    Darren 83 wrote: »
    Looking to get a nano card for my phone but can't find any only on ebay but they look dodgy.

I definitely wouldn't buy a 256 one on ebay. Might be worth asking on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 binnox

I got approved and message sent to fulfillment on 20th April and no sign of it yet. Is anyone else is still waiting this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

My claim was finally validated 24/04, and still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

binnox wrote:
    I got approved and message sent to fulfillment on 20th April and no sign of it yet. Is anyone else is still waiting this long.

My claim was validated on the 18th of April and only arrived Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

MoodeRator wrote: »
    My claim was finally validated 24/04, and still waiting

Same here, hopefully arriving this week.

Got an update there for dual camera and a security patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

Gonna pull the trigger on this the weekend! Finally got to hold it properly today in my local CPW and it felt great!

Will still see what the OP7 is like later when announced but that pop up selfie camera on the pro is a massive no no for me!

j_mo wrote: »
    My claim was validated on the 18th of April and only arrived Friday morning.
    Mine was validated on 18th and arrived last Friday too.
    enryb12 wrote: »
    Gonna pull the trigger on this the weekend! Finally got to hold it properly today in my local CPW and it felt great!

Will still see what the OP7 is like later when announced but that pop up selfie camera on the pro is a massive no no for me!
    Pop up camera sounds annoying. Although, if apple did it, we'd all have them within a couple of years. Think I'd prefer an notch

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Mine was validated on 18th and arrived last Friday too.

Pop up camera sounds annoying. Although, if apple did it, we'd all have them within a couple of years. Think I'd prefer an notch

Call me paranoid but one good thing about a pop up camera is you can be sure it's not spying on you 24/7! I barely use the front camera.

Have the P30 pro since release date and I'm still amazed by how good the battery is. Got used to the size of it pretty quick too as only had 5" screen before.

Anyone disliking their one so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Keith186 wrote: »
    Call me paranoid but one good thing about a pop up camera is you can be sure it's not spying on you 24/7! I barely use the front camera.

Have the P30 pro since release date and I'm still amazed by how good the battery is. Got used to the size of it pretty quick too as only had 5" screen before.

No love it. The battery gets recharged every 36-48hours with moderate use

I'd never have gone with Huawei phones, had an upgrade due but no iPhone or Samsung available so seen the P20 pro for €100 so took the chance. Never regretted it so when the P30 pro was out bought it sim free.

I was on holiday and thought I'd miss my slr but was really impressed with the shots I got and the battery l life is unreal love how it's charged in an hour and lasts for 2 days amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

P30 unlocked here and I just got the 9.1.0.153 update

The only thing I can think of that I dislike is the NFC icon always on in the status bar. And that's such a small problem it's non existent really.

Everything else about it is great, the camera and battery are the 2 obvious ones. Being able to use a normal microSD card would be better, but at 128gb it's the first phone I'm not going to bother with expandable memory.

Edit: update the sonos app, Google assistant is available in Ireland

Cienciano wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of that I dislike is the NFC icon always on in the status bar. And that's such a small problem it's non existent really.

Everything else about it is great, the camera and battery are the 2 obvious ones. Being able to use a normal microSD card would be better, but at 128gb it's the first phone I'm not going to bother with expandable memory.

Edit: update the sonos app, Google assistant is available in Ireland

Yeah the NFC symbol and the Optimiser notifications are two minor gripes I have but it's a great phone overall.

Deadly about the Google Assistant going live. Is it easy to switch between that and Alexa?
    Still waiting for my Sonos delivery.

When I select some text in an app, I get this screen

shot2.jpg?dl=1

If I tap the 3 dots, I get this screen

shot1.jpg?dl=1

When I then tap search, it uses Bing to do the web search.

Some app has changed this on my phone (I think Onedrive). Does anyone know how to change it back to Google?

Thanks

Deadly about the Google Assistant going live. Is it easy to switch between that and Alexa?
    Still waiting for my Sonos delivery.
    Looks easy. Sonos settings/voice services gives you this

z8Ks11Z.jpg

Griffinx wrote: »
    When I select some text in an app, I get this screen

When I then tap search, it uses Bing to do the web search.

Some app has changed this on my phone (I think Onedrive). Does anyone know how to change it back to Google?

Thanks

In the browser apps there is an option in the settings of that app to switch between various ones. Check in there see if that works. I haven't seen an option to change it on a system wide level.

In the browser apps there is an option in the settings of that app to switch between various ones. Check in there see if that works. I haven't seen an option to change it on a system wide level.

That didnt work...Browser search settings are all set to Google...there must to be a separate setting for this search option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

Griffinx wrote: »
    That didnt work...Browser search settings are all set to Google...there must to be a separate setting for this search option

Go to settings on the browser and make sure the search engine is set to Google, i know defaults on the phone are Google but the browser might not be?

enryb12 wrote: »
    Go to settings on the browser and make sure the search engine is set to Google, i know defaults on the phone are Google but the browser might not be?

Checked all that...set to Google

I tried to change to Google assistant but it's actually not available in Ireland. You get that message in the screen after my screenshot above

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Cienciano wrote:
    I tried to change to Google assistant but it's actually not available in Ireland. You get that message in the screen after my screenshot above

There's a big discussion about this on the sonos sub in reddit. They say that if you change the settings to us, Google assistant should work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

“Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app,” Reuters noted.

This effectively means no further Android security updates for devices new and old, including the recent P30 and P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, and many more.

Not great news.

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

dan786 wrote: »
    “Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app,” Reuters noted.

This effectively means no further Android security updates for devices new and old, including the recent P30 and P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, and many more.

Not great news.

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/

ah there will always be ways of getting them, but google can just update them in europe and america cant do **** surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

ah there will always be ways of getting them, but google can just update them in europe and america cant do **** surely

I thought this thing stopped US companies dealing with them, so if that's the case then it won't matter if the phone is European or American. It'll definitely hurt them in a big way if this goes ahead, you're talking about a minuscule percentage of users who know how to do the faffy stuff with phones.
    I had this phone marked for my next network upgrade but not a hope in hell I'm getting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

No, Google are bound but US law and that affect their whole business. No dealing with Huawei anywhere full stop. No further updates for Huawei phones, only open source licences.
    Only a small minority of people would be up to installing via other sources etc, and as the phones are quite locked down even rooting at the moment it's not straight forward. Most people want the convenience of Google play store etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Came on here to ask bout these phones before upgrading to one. Glad I did now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Came on here to ask bout these phones before upgrading to one. Glad I did now. :(

I have the P30 Pro, while it's a cracking phone I deffo say stay away with this news. I'm going to have an interesting debate with Three over this.

Advertisement