Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain this story

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was part-time for two years before getting a temporary wt position and then after a year it became a permanent one. After I was appointed, the next full-time appointment in my VEC was 11 years later. Then a large group was appointed together, but many of them had been on part-time hours for years.

I could have stayed longer but frankly I had had enough of the abuse. I worked at the coalface where we regularly had substitute teachers who would do a morning and not come back in the afternoon. I witnessed colleagues being assaulted (knocked out in one case, sexually assaulted in another) and nothing was done about it. Day after day of that.

I did just short of 30 years. If I had stayed another 5 years or so I could probably have almost doubled my pension, but it was not worth it to me. Enough was enough. It's not all 'Dead Poet's Society'.

I was lucky I had no children to worry about putting through college etc., so I was in a position where I did not have to stick the abuse any more. I manage on my pension and supplement it with some exam work, an AirBnB room and marking mocks.

My position was split into three 'jobs' when I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

At present, you'd be looking at €16,733.85 under the new scheme for 40 years work (plus state contributory).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Monotype wrote: »
    At present, you'd be looking at €16,733.85 under the new scheme for 40 years work (plus state contributory).

Would I be right in assuming that your final pension is also index/inflation linked?

And what age would you start drawing down that 16.7k? That makes a big difference too.

I know a teacher that retired early a few years ago because if he didn't retire then, he'd have been worse off. There was either some package or rules were getting changed so he retired early......kind of another example of the ones there already pulling up the lsdder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Would I be right in assuming that your final pension is also index/inflation linked?

And what age would you start drawing down that 16.7k? That makes a big difference too.

I know a teacher that retired early a few years ago because if he didn't retire then, he'd have been worse off. There was either some package or rules were getting changed so he retired early......kind of another example of the ones there already pulling up the lsdder!

Ahh so he should have stayed on and taken a financial hit.... for the benefit of the newly qualified teachers, what?

Was that early retirement scheme implemented at the unions behest. Again, you're still barking on about pulling up the ladder going down rabbit holes.

You have to take a long term view during pay cuts. Things like money can be fought back for (albeit at a slow pace), but it is changes to work practices which are the real danger. I'm sure that the hope is the pay-scales and pensions can be improved given time, but trying to undo things like croke park hours, s&s, paperwork initiatives, curriculum changes etc. is very difficult.

Could you imaging if the original proposal of 100% teacher certification for the junior cycle was implemented?? As much as we question the CBA's, AT's they were a necessary compromise to maintain the integrity of the system. And whether you like it or not changes to the educational system always have an impact on the work conditions of teachers.
    So there were many attacks on the profession... in retrospect maybe the union couldn't fight them all.

Well is it not a common refrain when pointing out about pensions that retired teachers pay is paid out of current expenditure? Rather than an actual pension pot being set aside to cover the pensions? Because a friend of mine used to try and argue that it couldn't be valued as a pension because it wasn't a pension. It was just going to be his salary. In other words, if I tried to argue that a public sector pension of X per years was equivalent to a pension pot of Y on retirement, then teachers say "it's not, because it's paid as a current expense"

• Advertisement

Well is it not a common refrain when pointing out about pensions that retired teachers pay is paid out of current expenditure? Rather than an actual pension pot being set aside to cover the pensions? Because a friend of mine used to try and argue that it couldn't be valued as a pension because it wasn't a pension. It was just going to be his salary. In other words, if I tried to argue that a public sector pension of X per years was equivalent to a pension pot of Y on retirement, then teachers say "it's not, because it's paid as a current expense"

Are you proposing a pension reserve fund?

Are you proposing a pension reserve fund?

I'm pointing out that, as I understand it, current and retired teachers salaries come out of the same pot. Is this understanding correct?

When it comes to national budget and allocation, education will rightfully fight its turf to increase its own resources and allocation. So what they did was allow those older teachers to retire early on better conditions than younger ones. Is that not correct? In essence they said "Here you go. You can have this option that will give you a larger slice of the pot compared to new people for the rest of your days".

So there is less remaining in the pot for younger people in order to pay for that. Ladder is pulled up. No? I'm open to correction.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ah pensions , the “ gold plated “ etc.etc. I have been paying into my pension since I was 20 . No choice . Not too many private workers do , then give out about the public sector getting something they don’t . In many cases , new entrants will pay more into their pension than they will ever receive back .

I'm pointing out that, as I understand it, current and retired teachers salaries come out of the same pot. Is this understanding correct?

When it comes to national budget and allocation, education will rightfully fight its turf to increase its own resources and allocation. So what they did was allow those older teachers to retire early on better conditions than younger ones. Is that not correct? In essence they said "Here you go. You can have this option that will give you a larger slice of the pot compared to new people for the rest of your days".

So there is less remaining in the pot for younger people in order to pay for that. Ladder is pulled up. No? I'm open to correction.

Anyhow, retiring teachers early saves an absolute fortune to the exchequer. So you let someone go who's at the top of the scale and then when the Pupil Teacher Ratio is cut there's a saving of 60K right there.
    In the worst possible scenario you are retiring that teacher early for 60K+ and bringing in a full time permanent teacher on 36K. How many full-time permanent posts do you see on educationposts.ie ?

Are you in support of the junior teachers returning to the previous pensions scheme?

Ah pensions , the “ gold plated “ etc.etc. I have been paying into my pension since I was 20 . No choice . Not too many private workers do , then give out about the public sector getting something they don’t . In many cases , new entrants will pay more into their pension than they will ever receive back .

How much is deducted out of your pension for arguments sake?

Lets take a 42 year old with a degree and a HDip who is on point 17 of the scale. They are on 56,131 + 4918 + 1236 = 62285. How much is deducted out of that to go towards your defined benefit component of your pension. I don't mean whatever you personally want to invest in outside of that. That is your own business. I mean how much from that 62285 is deducted purely for the provision of that part

• Advertisement

How many full-time permanent posts do you see on educationposts.ie ?

I have no idea. I'd say not too many though. People already on the gravy train probably want to stay on it!

Anyhow, retiring teachers early saves an absolute fortune to the exchequer. So you let someone go who's at the top of the scale and then when the Pupil Teacher Ratio is cut there's a saving of 60K right there.

Can you explain your workings for me. Because I was under the impression that when they are retired, they still have income? The only way to save 60k would be if their income post retirement was zero!

Or suppose Mr. Murphy was on 60k a year. He gets early retirement and then Mr. Ryan gets taken on at increment 1 and also has a HDip = 36318 + 1236 = 37554. There is only a saving (in the short term) if Mr. Murphy's pension is on less than 22,446 a year. Am I reading the pay scales incorrectly? I could be.

Are there any other benefits upon retirement? As in health care etc?

People on the gravy train?

Ok I'm done.

"Genuine question" me #####

Ignore.

People on the gravy train?

Ok I'm done.

"Genuine question" me #####

Ignore.

Never answered my points about pensions being paid out of same pot as salary. Seemed happy to answer until figures were asked or questioned. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Never answered my points about pensions being paid out of same pot as salary. Seemed happy to answer until figures were asked or questioned. :cool:

A quick Google will give you the answer and the standard superannuation costs we pay as well as the additional superannuation charge we pay in addtion to the above. They both come out of our salary. Regardless of whether pensions are paid from current expenditure, we do make a contribution generally for 40 plus years and we also expect our employer to contribute as is the norm elsewhere.

Sir123 wrote: »
    A quick Google will give you the answer and the standard superannuation costs we pay as well as the additional superannuation charge we pay in addtion to the above. They both come out of our salary. Regardless of whether pensions are paid from current expenditure, we do make a contribution generally for 40 plus years and we also expect our employer to contribute as is the norm elsewhere.

Look that's fine. But is my point not valid that because some people were allowed to cash out early at higher pension, that it leaves less in the pot for younger workers?

Imagine if a business worked like that - paying salary to it's retired staff out of current income. Then trying to explain to new staff that they can't get a raise because Jimmy who retired early a few years ago needs to be be given better conditions than those that are still working.

I googled and this is what I see: https://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/retirement-pensions/superannuation-pension-scheme/

You make a 5% contribution of your current salary. When you retire, that 5% of your current salary returns a lump sum of 3.75% of your final salary plus 1.25% of your final salary each year for as long as you live. That's incredible to be fair.

Here is an example of a typical annuity https://www.irishlifecorporatebusiness.ie/annuities-0
    At 65, to purchase a payment of 4,500 a year for life will cost you 75k. The multiple is 16.67. So suppose you are on 40k now. And suppose that by the time you retire you are on equivalent of 60k. (Additionally it is actually also effectively inflation linked which is extremely valuable). So that single payment of 2k that you pay now will return back a value of 14.75k (in today's money) to you.

That's the figures. Yes, in private sector employers make contributions, but the difference in value is big.

That's considering even an early career teacher. Suppose you are 1 year to retirement and your salary is 60k. In that last year you pay 3k. At the end of the year you get a lump sum of 2.25k back immediately and get recurring payments which would be valued at 12.5k (at that point in time) back. 14.75k is an almost 400% return on your contribution for that year. (that's not even considering the fact that you pay it evenly over the year....which would actually inflate the actual annualised return rate far higher if we wanted to be pedantic!)

Nice if you can get it! ;).

Your non-teacher neighbour who puts 10% of their 60k salary into their pot, matched by their employer 1-for-1, will have about 12.1k value added to their pension value.

Or to compare a different way, if they also take back 2.25k immediately, they can have a retirement income of 49.25 per month from the total self-contributed 10% + employers 10% matched. You will have 62.50 a month from your 5% contribution.....you're getting a rate of 2.5 times better off.....which is why people tend to focus on your pensions!

Don’t forget pension related deduction and spouses and children deduction.

Monotype wrote: »
    Don’t forget pension related deduction and spouses and children deduction.

Ok. But, I am assuming from the name that that allows for your pension to be extended past your own life to cover for dependents? So it is in effect an extra insurance (which would increase the 16.67 multiplier from the Irish life link for an annuity)

Anyway. thread went off on a tangent I hadn't meant it to go down. Don't worry too much about the off-tangent stuff :-)

No, I think you’re on to something. You should continue investigating. Check out the two deductions I mentioned. Consider various cases too, married, single etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

How much is deducted out of your pension for arguments sake?

Lets take a 42 year old with a degree and a HDip who is on point 17 of the scale. They are on 56,131 + 4918 + 1236 = 62285. How much is deducted out of that to go towards your defined benefit component of your pension. I don't mean whatever you personally want to invest in outside of that. That is your own business. I mean how much from that 62285 is deducted purely for the provision of that part

Donald,

most PS pay 6.5% pension contributions, (5% main scheme, 1.5% S&C).

Plus the 10% PRD introduced in 2009, now re-named the ASC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Says who? and compared to what profession?

Teacher scale begins at €36000 (for a 9 month year so pro-rated annually is €48000) which is among the highest if not highest of all graduate employment.
    Since teaching is paid for 9 months, other employment opportunities are available to increase even further.

Looking further up the scale, keep an eye on the annual salary surveys that are released each year, e.g. here

To give a few quick examples of various roles comparable to the teaching salaries:

Commercial Accountant
    Operational Risk Manager
    Junior Legal Counsel
    C / C++ Developer
    IT Systems Engineer
    etc

spurious wrote: »
    I did almost 30 years and have a pension of 16k.
    That's real pension figures.

This simply isn't true.

Only when challenged do you admit the true scenario where it is early retirement. Of course if you retire early, the pension is not the same.

Geuze wrote: »
    Donald,

most PS pay 6.5% pension contributions, (5% main scheme, 1.5% S&C).

Plus the 10% PRD introduced in 2009, now re-named the ASC.

Come-on now, this is a complete lie.
    Everyone gets a pay slip. It is obviously not 10%.

The threshold is something like €28000, so someone on €50000 pays maybe €1800 or 3.6% of their gross in ASC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

salonfire wrote: »
    Teacher scale begins at €36000 (for a 9 month year so pro-rated annually is €48000) which is among the highest if not highest of all graduate employment.
    Since teaching is paid for 9 months, other employment opportunities are available to increase even further.

Looking further up the scale, keep an eye on the annual salary surveys that are released each year, e.g. here

To give a few quick examples of various roles comparable to the teaching salaries:

Commercial Accountant
    Operational Risk Manager
    Junior Legal Counsel
    C / C++ Developer
    IT Systems Engineer
    etc

No graduate will get near that €36,000 for years (unless they have an in demand subject and in Dublin) due to years subbing/part time hours.

I don't know why everyone has a problem with teachers salaries - it's open to everyone as a career - in the words of Padraig Flynn - try it sometime - you'll be loaded after a few years!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This simply isn't true.

Only when challenged do you admit the true scenario where it is early retirement. Of course if you retire early, the pension is not the same.

I never misled anyone. I did 30 years. I never said I did 40.

Take your gripes about teachers elsewhere please and do not imply I lied. Take that back thank you.

Commercial Accountant
    Operational Risk Manager
    Junior Legal Counsel
    C / C++ Developer
    IT Systems Engineer
    etc

Apples and oranges but let's go with the first example anyway.

Commercial Accountant 55-70k ...

How many years does it take to get be a candidate for this job?
    https://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Project-Commercial-Accountant-North-Dubin-8327680.aspx

The spec just says

Candidate requirements:

1. Qualified Accountant

2. Excellent communication and report writing skills

3. Strong commercial acumen

4. Good understanding of investment appraisal techniques

It's for 60k min, so how many years do you reckon it would take a secondary school teacher to get that 60k?

No graduate will get near that €36,000 for years (unless they have an in demand subject and in Dublin) due to years subbing/part time hours.

I don't know why everyone has a problem with teachers salaries - it's open to everyone as a career - in the words of Padraig Flynn - try it sometime - you'll be loaded after a few years!!!

I find It's usually either an accountant or engineer that claims to know what I had for breakfast like they're peekin in my window taking notes on a clipboard. Then telling me later twas caviar.
    And the old tag line of 'i work(ed) in another area of education myself ' or the best ones about a sister teacher in her gold plated rolls flying off to Dubai.

The bitterness is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Commercial Accountant
    Operational Risk Manager
    Junior Legal Counsel
    C / C++ Developer
    IT Systems Engineer
    etc

So you’re literally pulling an extra €12k a year out of your arse?

Seriously?
    You need to get a grip

Also, and this point is important.
    Teachers are not just graduates, they are double graduates.
    Degree and masters and for many, especially in science and languages, this can take 6 years to obtain.

A starting salary of €36k for 6 years in university is reasonable I would have thought.

So you’re literally pulling an extra €12k a year out of your arse?

Seriously?
    You need to get a grip

Degree and masters and for many, especially in science and languages, this can take 6 years to obtain.

A starting salary of €36k for 6 years in university is reasonable I would have thought.

Well if they can extrapolate out 48k pro rata, then they can %%%%%%: extrapolate back in the extra curricular, lunchtime meetings and work I bring home every night.

I notice these experts never disclose their own pay slips, pension plans and qualifications.

How do ya like dem apples ... and oranges?

• Advertisement

Well la-de-dah
    A level 9 qualification is de-rigueur in an awful lot of jobs in the real world if you ever want to lift yourself off the bottom rung of the ladder.

Fair play and all, but teachers don't have a monopoly on being educated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement