Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probate info

Options
  • 19-05-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

My Dad died leaving a will which left everything to his 3 children . The will had a property which is now on the market for sale and a large sum of money in bank. Probate has now been granted can money be shared between the family or do you have to wait for sale of the house to finalize everything. The executor is out of the country and cant be contacted at the moment. Thanks for help.

Mod
    Suggest you enquire with executor's solicitor, but will leave open for discussion subject to forum rule on legal advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Thanks MOD the solicitor will only deal with the executor. Just really want to know can the money (banks deposit) be shared while we wait for the house sale as that could take a while whats the norm in south cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's up to the executor. He may need to keep some cash in hand to settle estate expenses that arise before the house sale goes through. On the other hand, if he is comfortable about paying out at least a part of the cash-in-hand, there's nothing to stop him doing so. The longer the house sale takes, the more pressure there is on the executor to make a partial distribution, and the harder it is to justify not doing so but, really, it all depends on the facts of the case. The solicitor can't and won't make a partial distribution without the executor's express instructions, so no point badgering him - it will only run up costs. If the executor is out of the country and can't be contacted, wait until he gets back.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's up to the executor. He may need to keep some cash in hand to settle estate expenses that arise before the house sale goes through. On the other hand, if he is comfortable about paying out at least a part of the cash-in-hand, there's nothing to stop him doing so. The longer the house sale takes, the more pressure there is on the executor to make a partial distribution, and the harder it is to justify not doing so but, really, it all depends on the facts of the case. The solicitor can't and won't make a partial distribution without the executor's express instructions, so no point badgering him - it will only run up costs. If the executor is out of the country and can't be contacted, wait until he gets back.

Thank you so much for the reply.
    I felt that was the way. I will wait for the executor to return. I really appreciate your comment and also tha moderator for leaving the question up.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Usually they will wait until everything has been sold and sorted before distributing. You never know what debts might appear that have to be paid by the estate. They generally err on the side of caution and dont distribute too early.

randomrb wrote: »
    Usually they will wait until everything has been sold and sorted before distributing. You never know what debts might appear that have to be paid by the estate. They generally err on the side of caution and dont distribute too early.

Oh ok that puts a different slant on it. I should think that the sale of the property thats free from debts should cover any surprises .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is also unwise to distribute until 6 months after the grant of probate in case a Section 117 action starts.

Advertisement