Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of the ads jokes about it being a contra deal for a new cooker, fridge and washing machine. I wouldn't be surprised if it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fatnacho

“Patrona Flexi-Van..forget one plan, one van...no more chains on me!”
    What does that even mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Fatnacho wrote: »

They seem to be a fan of hozier

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

They seem to be a fan of hozier

ah it's definitely more Chris Martin/Coldplay.. but ya, what does it mean??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Roadstone Retail Ad with the repeated bell ringing - moronic.

And prize for the most tasteless Ad goes to the Irish Indo for their "The Love Trail Verdict" promo with suitably melodramatic background music. Quite appalling even by the standards of the chip wrapper's gutter journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And prize for the most tasteless Ad goes to the Irish Indo for their "The Love Trail Verdict" promo with suitably melodramatic background music. Quite appalling even by the standards of the chip wrapper's gutter journalism.

ha just heard it, it sounds like an ad for Ros na Rún

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Fatnacho wrote: »

This one is starting to annoy me, now. They play a version of it twice per ad break as well. Hate that shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Appliances Delivered "installation by professionals"

So not the van drivers then? Because they're van drivers. Not electronic engineers.

Admittedly, she didn't say qualified professionals - as they are presumably professional van drivers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,909 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

L1011 wrote: »
    Appliances Delivered "installation by professionals"

So not the van drivers then? Because they're van drivers. Not electronic engineers.

Admittedly, she didn't say qualified professionals - as they are presumably professional van drivers!

Yeah; "professionals" who manage to hook all the power-hungry appliances into the one 4-way extension socket and kick it out of sight under the cupboard.
    Seen it more than once.
    The only professional who wears a stetson and is entitled to it is a genuine cowboy. These dangerous bstards are just rogues, chancers and vagabonds.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

"Hoi, I'om Kate and I went to Foot Solutions cos I know that the Camino walk would be very tough on my millennial feet. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

COSMOS , the head colourist in a busy saloon and his life transformed by 300 euro bits of plastic insoles for his feet ....Carl Sagan is turning in his grave .

snap !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That advert for seeing your dad's towel drop in the changing room is slightly creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

NIMAN wrote: »
    That advert for seeing your dad's towel drop in the changing room is slightly creepy.

Thought it was father in law ?

Thought it was father in law ?

Only heard it once, slightly less creepy but creepy all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Only heard it once, slightly less creepy but creepy all the same.

Yes ,the father in law, exposing a big sweaty arse crack with the jewelry glistening in full relief.

Some sight in fairness.....not sommit a lad might forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Yes ,the father in law, exposing a big sweaty arse crack with the jewelry glistening in full relief.

Some sight in fairness.....not sommit a lad might forget.

He could've averted his gaze. Methinks this Son-In-Law was getting his jollies perving on the oul lad

Radio advertising will never be the same again, for me.
    Well done, that agency idiot that thought of that one.

• Advertisement

I think that ad is just disgusting. Played during the day when kids might be listening in their parents car. Is think this tells how devoid of originality the marketing people are rather than the "power of the radio as an advertising medium". The ad should be pulled.

It’s the Father in Law not the Dad.

Surprised that they didn’t mention that he had a dose of ‘wineglow’ around the cluster.

Disgusting ad.

I think that ad is just disgusting. Played during the day when kids might be listening in their parents car. Is think this tells how devoid of originality the marketing people are rather than the "power of the radio as an advertising medium". The ad should be pulled.
    I think this will be gone fairly quickly ,the other day in the ad break on lyric fm it was the only ad between pieces from Mozarts requiem and another serene piece , even the presenter was mortified .It's feckin' gross , I don't want to hear about some all fella's sweaty crack and sack every 5 minutes .

"It's not just any auld arsecrack.
    It's a Gaiety arsecrack!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

It's just got the Liveline treatment...from Joe himself! And he reckons that he just broadcast his last Liveline, as he is not allowed to talk over the ads.
    Wonder was he thinking of his triplets other halves picturing him in the gym :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

The O'Briens cafe ad where the guy is comparing a sandwich to Rome. Sounds smug and condescending. It's a thrown together bit of bread and filling not a painstakingly constructed piece of art.

• Advertisement

The O'Briens cafe ad where the guy is comparing a sandwich to Rome. Sounds smug and condescending. It's a thrown together bit of bread and filling not a painstakingly constructed piece of art.

Ha!

You ever watch Masterchef? You'd think those folk were the most important people on the planet. Rather than people who cook food.

Can I just say that it is with great regret that I was informed today that Joe Duffy was in complete agreement with my posting above. I shall now fall on my sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why does that lady (is it Deirdre O'Kane?) put on that strange voice for advertising fridges or whatever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Can I just say that it is with great regret that I was informed today that Joe Duffy was in complete agreement with my posting above. I shall now fall on my sword.

The thing is — that’s a joint IBI/RTÉ “Choose Radio” ad... so it’s on every radio station.

It’s supposed to be encouraging listeners to buy radio advertising by showing how descriptive it can be.

Some stations are tagging it with their own contact details.

Thankfully the 'choose radio' ads usually have a limited run !

Annoying referendum Ads with the indescribable lift music in the background. I find it an insulting, dumbing down of an important message. Are the State implying that people have become so stupid that they can't handle a message without dopey music?

It's bad enough on stations like Newstalk where important headlines or traffic updates are delivered breathlessly against a music background that makes the message difficult to take in.

• Advertisement

“GAA , where we all belong “.......... feck off , no problem with Gaa but still feck off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Oops69 wrote: »
    “GAA , where we all belong “.......... feck off , no problem with Gaa but still feck off .
    In fairness all those Gaa / Six Nations / FAI / Pro12-whatever-it's-called-now hero worshipping ads are tripe.
    The fans shouting in the background sound effect makes me cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Barna77 wrote: »
    In fairness all those Gaa / Six Nations / FAI / Pro12-whatever-it's-called-now hero worshipping ads are tripe.

That is not being fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Barna77 wrote: »

In fairness ? How can a radio ad be described as *fair* ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That myTaxi ad....

I don't know if I find it funny or just awful, but what I do know is it should never have made it onto the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Applegreen vegan sausage roll ad.

Overacting "TV anchor" type schtick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

The latest Harvey Norman ad for beds (or mattresses or something) - "Are you a tosser? Or a turner?" :D

"Hey Ciara" Ad with a very Dublin working class (?) guy ringing up an ex.gf to tell her about the new Suzuki 192. Who are they aiming the Ad at? Why do they need somone with a working class accent to appear as an idiot for the Ad ? Is this dreamt up by people with the same mentality as the creators of Punch in the mid-19th century? Quite bizarre stuff.

"Hey Ciara" Ad with a very Dublin working class (?) guy ringing up an ex.gf to tell her about the new Suzuki 192. Who are they aiming the Ad at? Why do they need somone with a working class accent to appear as an idiot for the Ad ? Is this dreamt up by people with the same mentality as the creators of Punch in the mid-19th century? Quite bizarre stuff.

Like it or not, those kind of folk do exist, unfortunately.

The woman is a professional irritant. People might say "oh but she has to earn a few quid", but she knows when she is voicing that ad that she is deliberately doing it to annoy people and get attention for the product. Like I read on here before, the only place that anybody should hear Deirdre O'Kane's voice doing the announcements is in a Prisoner Of War camp.

That lady may be a lovely person, but she has the most irritating voice I have ever heard, by a country mile.

The minute she appears or voices anything......

Gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why does that lady (is it Deirdre O'Kane?) put on that strange voice for advertising fridges or whatever?

That is her natural voice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I find this add really strange too. He says at the end 'I just had to tell someone' Is there not another single individual he could tell? Is a socially isolated weirdo meant to be aspirational now? Are we meant to say 'wow, I'd love to be like him, I'm buying a Suzuki immediately!' :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Annoying referendum Ads with the indescribable lift music in the background. I find it an insulting, dumbing down of an important message. Are the State implying that people have become so stupid that they can't handle a message without dopey music?

It's bad enough on stations like Newstalk where important headlines or traffic updates are delivered breathlessly against a music background that makes the message difficult to take in.

I totally agree on this one - the dopey music, etc and the general dumbing down. I think it is symptomatic of the whole nanny state we are living in. Totally with you on the news headlines with music background also. To me it is cringe and insulting and almost totalitarian to be honest (especially the ref commmision ads). I am sure there are very fine people and staff in that commission but their approach to advertising the message is patronising.
    It reminds me also of the Tomagochi political broadcast on behalf of the governing party. Dumbed down nonsense and happy clappy stuff that is superficial and lacking in any depth .. sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

The latest Harvey Norman ad for beds (or mattresses or something) - "Are you a tosser? Or a turner?" :D

Had to laugh at this when I first heard it yesterday. Are u a tosser? then a bit of a delay....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I'm close Peter, I'm close.....

Reminds me of when I'd pull on a nite out years ago & she turned out to be a right freak in the bedroom....

Car insurance ad I think, she's on a lot of Newstalk ads now, but her voice would drive you insane..painful to listen to..

UsBus wrote: »
    I'm close Peter, I'm close.....
    I always giggle at that as well. Suspect it might not have been totally accidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That is her natural voice!

Imagine being her partner, having to listen to that nails-on-a-blackboard voice, day in, day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Jimmy only delivers food to Marys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That Donegal Catch ad.

It makes no sense on telly (why the f*ck would a fish-person want you to eat fish??), but makes even less sense on the radio.

The only clue that she's a fish is that she says she's not a fish. But there's no reason to think she is, because we can't see any of the visual clues from the telly ad.

Many, many types of nonsense come together in that ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That Donegal Catch ad.

It makes no sense on telly (why the f*ck would a fish-person want you to eat fish??), but makes even less sense on the radio.

The only clue that she's a fish is that she says she's not a fish. But there's no reason to think she is, because we can't see any of the visual clues from the telly ad.

Many, many types of nonsense come together in that ad.

I got it first time. Ah well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement