Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VM Horizon box to be replaced... at last

Options
  • 20-10-2017 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭

The V6 looks like it'll be the answer to the painfully slow UI that we currently have on the Horizon box. 8 tuners on board apparently with Netflix 4K support. Looks a bit like a fat Wetek but sure we can't have everything. Early days but surely we will see it's arrival in the near future as it's currently in action across the pond. Hurry up VM !

I was a Horizon gunnea pig initially nd I'd gladly be one again for this offering.

TR link:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/virgin-v6

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

My understanding was though that Irish VM customers (and Liberty Global customers in the rest of Europe) would get a V6 Box with the Horizon EPG rather than TiVo, which Virgin has only licensed in the UK. Be interesting to see what happens if and when they do move to introduce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It still gets to me to see people having to pay for 'multiroom' and even be limited to a specific number of devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This what Liberty Global's Q2 report said about Virgin's V6 box, looks like its Horizon outside the UK.
    In the U.K., we have been proactively rolling out our new 4k-enabled, Virgin TV V6 set-top box, where we are seeing strong demand from both new and existing customers. In our other markets, we continue expanding the reach of Horizon TV and over 40% of our video base in Europe now subscribes to one of our next-generation TV platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

They confirmed that the horizon box was here to stay and that box wont be coming here.

I've used it in the UK and the difference is crazy compared to the crap here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    They confirmed that the horizon box was here to stay and that box wont be coming here.

I've used it in the UK and the difference is crazy compared to the crap here.

Well somebody from Management better tell that to VM customer service in Ireland because they were on the phone to my boss this afternoon (they called her) saying that as a valued customer and current multiroom user, we would shortly be rolling out the V6 and you will be getting one if you like.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

dodzy wrote: »
    Well somebody from Management better tell that to VM customer service in Ireland because they were on the phone to my boss this afternoon (they called her) saying that as a valued customer and current multiroom user, we would shortly be rolling out the V6 and you will be getting one if you like.....

Happy days so, Will be more than welcomed here. Great little box.

I just quoted what Tony Hanway stated in the last media article where he said it was here to stay. Looks like that's changed so. Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

We're not getting the V6 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ebsa

icdg wrote: »
    My understanding was though that Irish VM customers (and Liberty Global customers in the rest of Europe) would get a V6 Box with the Horizon EPG rather than TiVo, which Virgin has only licensed in the UK. Be interesting to see what happens if and when they do move to introduce it.

Liberty Global has renewed its product agreements and signed a multi-year extension to its intellectual property license with TiVo.
    This extension provides Liberty Global with expanded access to TiVo’s patent portfolios and covers all Liberty Global subsidiaries.
    http://www.digitaltveurope.net/761972/liberty-global-renews-tivo-deal/

Now that’s an interesting one. A change of strategy? The V6 Box was seemingly capable of running either TiVo or Horizon, with the potential for the U.K. to switch to Horizon when the TiVo licence ran out.

But could the switch be the other way? Or just Liberty keeping options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ebsa

We're not getting the V6 box.
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]"Already launched in the UK, our new TV box will soon be rolled out across our footprint, bringing huge benefits of scale - such as lower costs, better technology and the ability to innovate more quickly."[/font]
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YQt6Dm2Cs[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

UK Virgin Media customer can now get a free V6 box, no contract tie-in, no activation fee.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/connected-entertainment.html?navelement=homepage_pos1_imagelink

R

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

ebsa wrote: »
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]"Already launched in the UK, our new TV box will soon be rolled out across our footprint, bringing huge benefits of scale - such as lower costs, better technology and the ability to innovate more quickly."[/font]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YQt6Dm2Cs

oh Thank god! our long national nightmare that is the horizon box is coming to an end.

Looking at this review , https://youtu.be/CPo-b4nMDxY , the v6 box looks a serious bit of kit. Im very impressed by the cpu gpu performance which is very poor in the horizon box. I wonder will they port over the horizon software interface or give us virgin media uk's epg. I think i would prefer the latter as after all these years horizon cant even get a few basics right e.g. manual recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

reading above saying " across our footprint " which only covers uk?
    uk and irl are different are they not?

ebsa wrote: »
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]"Already launched in the UK, our new TV box will soon be rolled out across our footprint...”

Substitute “the U.K” for “our footprint” and the sentence makes no sense. It has to mean the LibertyGlobal group..

Also take into account LibertyGlobal have now licensed Tivo for the entire group, no just the U.K. as previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

greasepalm wrote: »
    reading above saying " across our footprint " which only covers uk?
    uk and irl are different are they not?

if you look at the Liberty Global video from ebsa's post, they say which countries where they are going to roll out the new v6 box too. Ireland was included in those countries at 1:30 in the video, while also giving an impressive description of the box, 4k ultra hd ready, 6 tuners .

The only thing missing from the video was when are they going to start rolling out. Virgin media uk just announced that they are giving free upgrades to the v6 box, which i hope means they have a large supply of them. We could be first in line out of the rest of liberties base to get them. That's what im pinning my hopes on but it might be twinged with a bit of wishful thinking/desperation.

Yeah if you watch the video, it’s quite clear that it’s to be rolled out across all Liberty markets, despite the fact that the particular box shown is Virgin Media branded. I’m not sure whether that’s the first clear statement that’s to be the case but definitely a clear statement from Liberty themselves that this box will come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

icdg wrote:
    Some reports roday about the V6 coming to Ireland:

Well that's frustrating, and I'm just about to get my hands on an amiko

its already on show on the virgin adds on tv.

They are swapping them for free in the UK now but that wasn’t previously the case. It’s not quite the deal Sky Q is for installing as it’s just an STB swap,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Got the v6 box installed last Friday in Belfast - wasn't overly interested in getting VM tv as we have a humax freesat box but the package bundle price was great value, I haven't had a chance to do much on the box so cant really help.

Got 100mb BB, mix Tv (freeview/fressat channels plus Rte 1,2 an Tg4) and landline weekend calls for £30pm 12 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Virgin Media Ireland promises new TV box and faster wifi speeds
    Virgin Media Ireland is to introduce a new, higher-specification television box for its 269,000 Irish TV customers later this year.

It has also launched a new ‘smart wifi’ system and says it will add at least 20,000 homes to its 930,000-premise Irish network reach this year.

“We know we haven’t quite kept pace with some other television boxes,” said Paul Farrell, the company’s vice president of commercial operations.

“This will be a wireless multi-room box with 4K and all the bells and whistles. It will do everything that the UK box currently does although it will be a different model. We’re expecting to make an announcement about this this Autumn. We’re very excited about it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

My parents have a basic tv package with virgin media but the horizon box is causing them hassle taking ages to get going as they plug it out at night. Can I take the card out of it and buy an older virgin media box online or will the card not be paired?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My parents have a basic tv package with virgin media but the horizon box is causing them hassle taking ages to get going as they plug it out at night. Can I take the card out of it and buy an older virgin media box online or will the card not be paired?

Put it on a protective adapter and leave it switched on.... They are quite slow I find and crash if you go too quickly through menu etc....

I take it these boxes should not be powered off or unplugged at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

greasepalm wrote: »
    I take it these boxes should not be powered off or unplugged at night?

If you have recordings scheduled it's not a good idea to unplug. You can set it to go into low power mode when in standby.

We don’t drag up old threads, especially if it’s nothing to do with the original topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement