Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum Distance between Water Wells

• 18-05-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is there any criteria laid down (or best practice) relating to the minimum distance between 2 residential water wells? I've found distances needed from percolation areas and sewage treatment plants but haven't seen anything relating to distance from another well.

Currently buidling on greenfield site and proposed location for our well is approx 15 meters from neighbour's well. Just wondering is there anything I need to be aware of.

Thanks
    bar_32

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

bar32 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is there any criteria laid down (or best practice) relating to the minimum distance between 2 residential water wells? I've found distances needed from percolation areas and sewage treatment plants but haven't seen anything relating to distance from another well.

Currently buidling on greenfield site and proposed location for our well is approx 15 meters from neighbour's well. Just wondering is there anything I need to be aware of.

Thanks
    bar_32
    Depends on the depth of the well/s

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Neighbour's went to 180ft. I'm assuming the same, won't know until it's actually drilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

bar32 wrote: »
    Neighbour's went to 180ft. I'm assuming the same, won't know until it's actually drilled.
    Its all down to the 'cone of the depression'. My knowledge of hydrogeology is +40 years old but s follows

Say the angle of the cone of depression is 30 degrees i.e betwen the slope line of the cone and the vertical which is 180 ft in this case . then the horizontal distance, X feet, from the centre of the well to the outside of the COD at ground level is 18 times tan 30 degrees. i.e. 104 feet.
    So, the exisitng well when it has drawn down water to the limit, very unlikely, will affect the water table for a distance of 104 feet in every direction - hence a cone of depression..The actual angle of the cone depends on geologicla factors i.e waht sort of ground it is. If your neighbout had a site with frontage of 100 feet and had the wll in the centre of the site i.e 50 feet from each side boundary, a well drilled to the same or lesser depth 50 feet from the side boundary on the next site would have little or no effect on the first well.
    Where it becomes problematic is
    where neighbours drill deeper than the adjoining well without allowing the requisite distance.
    Hope this helps but do check with your well-driller first.
    From a humble civil engineer, nearing retirement!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

PMBC wrote: »
    Its all down to the 'cone of the depression'. My knowledge of hydrogeology is +40 years old but s follows

Say the angle of the cone of depression is 30 degrees i.e betwen the slope line of the cone and the vertical which is 180 ft in this case . then the horizontal distance, X feet, from the centre of the well to the outside of the COD at ground level is 18 times tan 30 degrees. i.e. 104 feet.
    So, the exisitng well when it has drawn down water to the limit, very unlikely, will affect the water table for a distance of 104 feet in every direction - hence a cone of depression..The actual angle of the cone depends on geologicla factors i.e waht sort of ground it is. If your neighbout had a site with frontage of 100 feet and had the wll in the centre of the site i.e 50 feet from each side boundary, a well drilled to the same or lesser depth 50 feet from the side boundary on the next site would have little or no effect on the first well.
    Where it becomes problematic is
    where neighbours drill deeper than the adjoining well without allowing the requisite distance.
    Hope this helps but do check with your well-driller first.
    From a humble civil engineer, nearing retirement!!

Very detailed post! 'WEll' answered😅

Advertisement