Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax - Accountancy

Options
  • 16-05-2019 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am a vet in private practice and I’m planning on constructing a clinic on a green field site. Is it possible to claim back VAT on this construction, or to write it off as a business expense?

Regards,
    Harry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,553 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Yes, a reclaim should be available but the "Capital Goods Scheme" is likely to apply which requires ongoing reviews of the use of the building and may entail later year adjustments.

There's a PDF file available here:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part11-immovable-goods/capital-goods-scheme/capital-goods-scheme.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zebo2016

Thanks naenotavailal, I presume you mean I am reclaim the 13.5% but I can’t write off the total cost of construction as a business expense?

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 59,553 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Yes- a VAT reclaim was what I was referring to. The cost of construction wouldn't qualify as a deductible expense.

And one more question. If I put an extension on to my present building can I only claim the materials as expenses or can I claim back some of the builders fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

There’s no free lunch here. What you’re doing in either case here is constructing a new asset.

In accounting terms, the cost of constructing an asset is not an expense, the depreciation over time of the asset as it is used is an expense.

In tax terms, you don’t get a deduction/expense for either the cost of constructing your premises or the depreciation of the building.

• Advertisement

What about Capital Allowances?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/corporation-tax-for-companies/corporation-tax/capital-allowances-and-deductions.aspx

I thought that when doing the tax calc and reconciling the Accounting profit to the taxable profit, just for depreciation, that you added back the depreciation and subtracted the allowable CA for that year.

Maybe not for a vet or sole trader.... don't know :(

Not for a building, other than an industrial building as defined in section 268 TCA97, which a veterinary clinic would not fall within.

Thanks for all that help

1.Am I allowed to write off the metials (Tiles,Doors ect) as an expense?

2.Instead of building on a green field site if I add an extention to my present building can that work/construction be written off as a business expense?

Zebo2016 wrote: »
    Thanks for all that help

1.Am I allowed to write off the metials (Tiles,Doors ect) as an expense?

2.Instead of building on a green field site if I add an extention to my present building can that work/construction be written off as a business expense?

Do you have an accountant?
    Have you asked them these questions?
    What have they told you?

PS. I already answered your question a few posts ago.

Advertisement