Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data for U.S + Canada

Options
  • 17-05-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to ask,

Looking to go away soon to USA and Canada in the one trip and trying to find a phone provider for data.

I don't care for calls and texts, data is the main thing I need for maps, guides , booking attractions, hotels etc.

I've tried the locals like 3, eir and Vodafone and the only one with a deal is Vodafone for 200mb a day which is useless.

So I'm thinking should I get a Sim card on arrival, prepay just for data in both USA and Canada.

Does anybody have any experience of this and also which operater is best to use for best deals etc

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you download the guides and maps on wifi in advance and use apps for booking etc, the Vodafone 200MB would do all of this just fine.
    If you want to stream stuff, while not on wifi, then you need more.

It is harder than you would expect to get a good deal including the US and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

If you download the guides and maps on wifi in advance and use apps for booking etc, the Vodafone 200MB would do all of this just fine.
    If you want to stream stuff, while not on wifi, then you need more.

It is harder than you would expect to get a good deal including the US and Canada.

I've been thinking about downloading the maps before hand alright. Lot of driving to be done

Suppose I could just stick with WiFi but I doubt the desert has a lot of it !

Sure feck it, I'll download the maps now and see how it goes !

Cheers !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Vodafone have red roaming in the US, which would allow you to use your normal allowance. I think it's €4.99 a day.

So basically if you have 20GB and go away for 7 days, it would cost €35 but you can use up to that 20GB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I've been thinking about downloading the maps before hand alright. Lot of driving to be done

Suppose I could just stick with WiFi but I doubt the desert has a lot of it !

Sure feck it, I'll download the maps now and see how it goes !

Cheers !

Downloading the maps is good policy on any trip, after all you may not get a phone signal in the desert either. You'll get basic navigation with offline maps. Traffic data etc will need data, but it won't use very much, if the underlying map is downloaded. I suppose my point was that with downloaded maps, and doing any updates etc in the motel, the Voda prepay 200MB is usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
Advertisement