Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Was at UFC204 Saturday night and picked up a litre bottle of Auchentoshan spring wood for £39.
    It's nice and drinkable but a but on the sweet side.
    Mate picked up an ardbeg 10yo to replenish a bottle he'd just finished. Regretting not following his lead and taking the ardbeg.
    Op who mentioned the laphraoig qa, did you open and was it nice? Had a bottle in my hand but went with the spring wood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Coming home from Glasgow last weekend, picked up a bottle of Laphroaig QA and Bowmore Black Water. I was going to get an Ardbeg, but opted for the Bowmore as the Laphroaig is similar to Ardbeg, and I haven't had the Bowmore before.

Bloody good prices in Glasgow Airport, and with Sterling as it is - you can't really go wrong!

Don't be freaking me out!
    It's Bowmore black rock.
    Didn't relish going to war with Santory over the Blackwater trademark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

brinty wrote: »
    Was at UFC204 Saturday night and picked up a litre bottle of Auchentoshan spring wood for £39.
    It's nice and drinkable but a but on the sweet side.
    Mate picked up an ardbeg 10yo to replenish a bottle he'd just finished. Regretting not following his lead and taking the ardbeg.
    Op who mentioned the laphraoig qa, did you open and was it nice? Had a bottle in my hand but went with the spring wood
    I've got the Laphroaig qa and the Laphroaig 10. It's a personal taste but I like the 10y better. The qa is lovely tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't like QA at all. All the smoke and nothing else.

I've got the Laphroaig qa and the Laphroaig 10. It's a personal taste but I like the 10y better. The qa is lovely tho.

I have the 10 yo unopened so look forward to that being opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I haven't opened the QA yet. Still getting through some Cardhu and the end of some Highland Park.

I've had the 10yo before and loved it. Thought I'd pick up the QA for a change. Read mixed reviews but love trying new flavours!

I haven't opened the QA yet. Still getting through some Cardhu and the end of some Highland Park.

Almost finished a cardhu
    Enjoyed it a lot

I'll pick up another when I clear my ever increasing backlog

Almost finished a cardhu
    Enjoyed it a lot

I'll pick up another when I clear my ever increasing backlog

Just out of curiousity, what would most folks do when they have numerous bottles of different whiskies. Gradually make their way down through all of them, or go one at a time?

I was doing the former for a while, but found I'd come to the end of the bottles in one go, and have to replenish - which isn't cheap! So now I'm trying to finish one before opening another. Maybe have 2 open at a time. One Irish one Scotch etc... with maybe another just for weekend sipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I love having a few open at the same time for the variety and it seems like no one bottle is getting hammered. However, if it's open it tends to get drunk. So I save that luxury for the holidays. Won't be long now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Just out of curiousity, what would most folks do when they have numerous bottles of different whiskies. Gradually make their way down through all of them, or go one at a time?

I was doing the former for a while, but found I'd come to the end of the bottles in one go, and have to replenish - which isn't cheap! So now I'm trying to finish one before opening another. Maybe have 2 open at a time. One Irish one Scotch etc... with maybe another just for weekend sipping.
    I have them all open. I don't think I have the will power not to!

Usually about 2/3rds of the cupboard is open. Stuff that doesn't get used a lot is kept out of the light, not sure if that really has much impact but the clear bottles that some scotch comes in can't help. When something starts to come towards the end, maybe 1/3rd to 1/4 left it gets moved to the "drinking shelf" where stuff gets drunk with a lot less care and attention!

I was buying at a much higher rate than I was drinking so put a stop except on airport specials and Aldi's 8 year old Scotch and generic bourbon which get used in cocktails (a lot) and the cupboard is starting to clear out. Have a few hundred planned for Christmas spending though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I have Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Glenfiddich and Glenlivet Nadurra all on the go at the moment, I just dip into whatever takes my fancy at the time.

Glencairn glasses too :cool:

Yea I tend to have a few open

Right now it's
    Open
    Redbreast 12 yo
    Jameson black barrel
    Green spot
    Cardhu a dram left
    Aberlour
    Auchentoshan only a dram taken

To be opened
    Yellow spot
    Old Pultney
    Glenfiddich solera 15 yo
    Jura
    Jura superstition
    Laphroaig 10yo
    Jim Beam
    Jim Beam maple
    Teachers (for hot whisky for the oul fella)

I'll add things as I go on trips abroad etc or do shopping in the north

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Noticed Writer's Tears and Irishman Founder's Reserve appear in my local Dunnes recently at €45 and €36 respectively. As I always have a €10 off €50 voucher to hand from shopping in Dunnes, one of these will probably be my next purchase. (When the last of my Powers Three Swallows is exhausted!

Have had neither before so anyone have any strong preference for one over the other?

Meanwhile, I've had the great fortune of picking up Laphroaig 10YO for £25 in Asda so I'm well sorted for the next while! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Glenlivet single malt master distillers reserve. Currently sipping at 11000m above Baghdad my taste buds are shot but it's going down easy.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Noticed Writer's Tears and Irishman Founder's Reserve appear in my local Dunnes recently at €45 and €36 respectively. As I always have a €10 off €50 voucher to hand from shopping in Dunnes, one of these will probably be my next purchase. (When the last of my Powers Three Swallows is exhausted!

Have had neither before so anyone have any strong preference for one over the other?

Meanwhile, I've had the great fortune of picking up Laphroaig 10YO for £25 in Asda so I'm well sorted for the next while! :D

Writers Tears is exceptional; its just maybe a little dear at 45 - the voucher will fix that. The bottle is also too tall to fit in my drinks shelves!

Found a nearly full bottle of Glenlivet Founders Reserve at the back of the cupboard

Remembered why I'd put it there. That's ending its life with ginger ale...

There's nothing wrong with, but nothing right either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Johnnie Walker Red Lable, fwiw.
    Little over 2 fingers at the end of the bottle. Not my favourite, but it'll do, for now.

Nothing wrong with it tampopo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

I nearly always do.

Im a bit of a newbie to whiskey. I have 4 different bottles at home but would it be possible to tell the difference between them if I mixed them all with ice? Its still a nice drink but I find it dilutes it too much, I end up drinking it way too fast. Is it more common to drink with ice or neat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Feenix wrote: »
    Im a bit of a newbie to whiskey. I have 4 different bottles at home but would it be possible to tell the difference between them if I mixed them all with ice? Its still a nice drink but I find it dilutes it too much, I end up drinking it way too fast. Is it more common to drink with ice or neat?

That's very much a personal preference IMO. I generally like to take whisky neat but some whiskies benefit from a dash of water. The tasting is all in the sipping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Finished my Jameson Select Reserve Small Batch (much nicer than the Black Barrel) during the week and my Powers John's Lane tonight. Delicious.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Feenix wrote: »
    I would recommend getting a few small glasses and put a small drop in each. Have a glass of water nearby also. If you want a drop of water in them then put it in (not much though).
    Taste the first, keeping it in your mouth for a bit. Can you taste anything? Spices? Smoke? Fruit? Etc.
    Take a drop of water and taste the second and so on.
    Do you notice a difference between them?
    It should be like drinking wine: taste it, don't drink it.

What are the four whiskeys you have?

You do find differences between brands and you don't need to be an expert to enjoy.

kbannon wrote:
    You do find differences between brands and you don't need to be an expert to enjoy.

Exactly this
    There are no rights or wrongs other than what works for you and if you enjoy it

Exactly this
    There are no rights or wrongs other than what works for you and if you enjoy it

Yep. There are whiskey snobs out there, but I'm not one. Whatever works for the individual.

For example, my nightly tipple would usually be Powers, neat. I bought a bottle of Teeling's 21 year old last year, and I prefer Powers.

My Grandad (RIP) used to drink Bells, which apparently is bottom of the barrel stuff. I tried it recently in Glasgow and thought it was fine.

I love a big dirty smokey scotch neat, whereas some can't drink it without ice or water. It's all very personal :)

I've always considered a Bells + Irn Bru as ruining good Irn Bru. However, it sells enough that some people clearly like it!

L1011 wrote: »
    I've always considered a Bells + Irn Bru as ruining good Irn Bru. However, it sells enough that some people clearly like it!

Jesus H is that even a thing? lol

I did see cans of Irn Bru on tables in pubs in Glasgow recently, but I never for a moment thought there would be whisk(e)y involved!

I did see cans of Irn Bru on tables in pubs in Glasgow recently, but I never for a moment thought there would be whisk(e)y involved!

Och eye laad
    Thats exactly what they use it for
    Going easy tonight
    Just a nice drop of Jameson black barrel for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Jack daniels - Single Barrel. Drinking this neat and goes down smooth. Lovely drink

West Cork - 10 year old Single Malt. Neat, thought this was a little light in flavour but very drinkable and decent value.

Saw Nikka From the Barrel for €40 and couldn't resist. Was bought one as a present last year and loved it so had to top up!

• Advertisement

Saw Nikka From the Barrel for €40 and couldn't resist. Was bought one as a present last year and loved it so had to top up!

Where????
    Detail now...
    I must have one....

Jesus H is that even a thing? lol

Extremely common. I use Aldis cheap 8 instead.

The nikka at that price is a half litre but 40 is still decent for it.

Saw signs up suggesting that Dingles Whiskey will be available next month

Where????
    Detail now...
    I must have one....

Probably going to disappoint you - I live in Barcelona.

Probably going to disappoint you - I live in Barcelona.

In that case you better pay for the shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Saw signs up suggesting that Dingles Whiskey will be available next month

It will be indeed! Will be getting a bottle before the official release, so will report back.... hoping for good things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Picked up a bottle of Bushmills steamship in the airport last week. Very enjoyable whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What's the verdict on Jameson Black Barrel, the tasting notes say fruity which sounds strange to me!

Tesco have marginally reduced the normal sales prices of some scotch due to Sterling falling - about 4% it seems from my vague memory of prices. Remember the duty+VAT on duty element is entirely Euro denominated and quite hefty.

They also have a sale on pretty much all "premium" whisk[e]y. My local branch is out of much of it already

They also sent me 16 off 80 vouchers in the post, presumably as I haven't bought much recently. I also had a 10 off 50 from Dunnes I wasn't going to use.

Talisker 10, Johnnie Waler Black and Black Bush for 75 euro. :D:D

Tesco have marginally reduced the normal sales prices of some scotch due to Sterling falling - about 4% it seems from my vague memory of prices. Remember the duty+VAT on duty element is entirely Euro denominated and quite hefty.

They also have a sale on pretty much all "premium" whisk[e]y. My local branch is out of much of it already

They also sent me 16 off 80 vouchers in the post, presumably as I haven't bought much recently. I also had a 10 off 50 from Dunnes I wasn't going to use.

Talisker 10, Johnnie Waler Black and Black Bush for 75 euro. :D:D

Oh shopping I must do ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

Have been building up a wee collection of Scotch whisky the last while. I now have:

- Glenfiddich 18 yr old (small batch reserve)
    - Craigellachie 19 yr old
    - Cardhu 12 yr old
    - Balvenie 16 yr old triplewood
    - Glenfarclas 15 yr old

Really enjoying my Highland & Speysides at the moment.

Rob987 wrote: »
    Have been building up a wee collection of Scotch whisky the last while. I now have:

- Glenfiddich 18 yr old (small batch reserve)
    - Craigellachie 19 yr old
    - Cardhu 12 yr old
    - Balvenie 16 yr old triplewood
    - Glenfarclas 15 yr old

Really enjoying my Highland & Speysides at the moment.

I doubt that came cheap but well worth it.

Enjoy mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What's the verdict on Jameson Black Barrel, the tasting notes say fruity which sounds strange to me!

One of my favourite whiskeys, all of my friends/family rate it very well too. Im not a connoisseur by any stretch, but always find it incredibly smooth, easy to drink and really like the flavour of it. Love quiet evenings watching a movie with a glass of it, always have a bottle in the house :)

Has anyone had Jack Ryan single malt? On a bit of a single malt fixation recently and would like a nice Irish one next, and have seen this one around a bit. I think West Cork Distillers have a single malt too, but have been told to avoid it. I don't really like Bushmills 10 YO SM, Connemara peated or Tyrconnel SM. I do like the Teelings single malt but just don't know that its worth €55-60...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

cloudatlas wrote: »

There are some very fruity whiskeys. Esters give a fruity flavour in whiskey, especially in the likes of Tyrconnell, where there's lots of pear flavours.

BenRiach and the 1989 - 1991 Teelings are full of tropical fruit flavours.

And then the whiskeys matured or part matured in sherry casks have a raisin or dried fruit flavour...

Brockagh wrote: »
    There are some very fruity whiskeys. Esters give a fruity flavour in whiskey, especially in the likes of Tyrconnell, where there's lots of pear flavours.

BenRiach and the 1989 - 1991 Teelings are full of tropical fruit flavours.

And then the whiskeys matured or part matured in sherry casks have a raisin or dried fruit flavour...

Yes sorry it's the fact that they didn't say which fruit that threw me. Bushmills and Jack daniels have dark cherries, dark rum has prunes and stewed fruits.

Flex wrote: »
    One of my favourite whiskeys, all of my friends/family rate it very well too. Im not a connoisseur by any stretch, but always find it incredibly smooth, easy to drink and really like the flavour of it. Love quiet evenings watching a movie with a glass of it, always have a bottle in the house :)

Has anyone had Jack Ryan single malt? On a bit of a single malt fixation recently and would like a nice Irish one next, and have seen this one around a bit. I think West Cork Distillers have a single malt too, but have been told to avoid it. I don't really like Bushmills 10 YO SM, Connemara peated or Tyrconnel SM. I do like the Teelings single malt but just don't know that its worth €55-60...

Is this the one because it seems to be fairly new? https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/john-jameson-and-son/jameson-black-barrel-whisky/?srh=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Just back from a weekend away and picked up a bottle of the Redbreast Lustau - got it for 45€ as only at the airport did I realise that Iceland is a duty free destination :) - It's a beautiful addition to the redbreast range and long may it stay as a regular .

On the way back was really happy to see they had some Jameson 12yr old in stock so picked up 2 bottles of it . One for drinking now and one for the collection. It's becoming rare these days to find it and I really do wonder if Midleton have made a big mistake in discontinuing this brilliant whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey All, only recently started drinking whiskey/bourbon, currently on a bottle of Crown Royal Black I picked up coming home from US during summer, looking to buy something nice for Christmas for myself, what's a good bottle to buy, prefer to try something Irish in the 50 - 70 euro range.

Green Spot still the king at that price range for me. Powers John's Lane and Writer's Years good options too.

BobMc wrote:
    Hey All, only recently started drinking whiskey/bourbon, currently on a bottle of Crown Royal Black I picked up coming home from US during summer, looking to buy something nice for Christmas for myself, what's a good bottle to buy, prefer to try something Irish in the 50 - 70 euro range.

Green spot mate
    Or teelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

ta, have had the teelings too, the small batch version, had my eye on the green spot on special in obriens at the mo.

I'll grab a bottle of that to start

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement