Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New FAI Chief has a pop at Brian Kerr

• 15-10-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭

Am posting this in After Hours due to my never having bothered getting approval to post in the soccer thread.

This guy has been 'seconded from UEFA' - which is hardly a ringing endorsement when you see nights like we had last night in Bulgaria, or when you see how its former head Michel Platini is getting on.

He says of Brian Kerr - whom you can only hold in high esteem for what he has done for Irish soccer -

"I wonder has the bitterness become to much for him".....

He might more appropriately wonder if the bitterness is too much for the entire Irish public after the way the FAI has behaved for the past decade or more.

I am asking myself if this guy really understands how incredibly low public opinion is of the FAI.....

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/football/i-wonder-has-the-bitterness-become-too-much-for-him-noel-mooney-responds-to-brian-kerrs-fai-criticism/ar-AAIL2nz?ocid=ientp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A toxic organisation. Rotten to the core. Relies solely on the performance of the national side while ignoring, and belittling, the “domestic” league.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The stupidity of his position.

He refers to dealings with great managers and nothing getting into the media.

Brian Kerr is a pundit. He works in the media. Did Mooney not even realise this much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I completely disagree with him in saying that we should "move on from the John Delaney chapter”.
    Irish football needs a 'forensic audit' for a variety of reasons. Chiefly among them being how one man was able to have such massive control over the FAI.

It needs a new 'constitution' for how it is governed and ran. Otherwise we will just get a John Delaney 2.0 in power over the game again. Nothing will change without new governing rules.

Brian Kerr strikes me as a very sincere person. A real football man if you will. I don't think he has any bitterness in him. He could easily do his commentary and panelist gigs while saying nothing about the FAI, like most of the others do. He is critical of them as an organisation because he genuinely believes they have failed Irish soccer.

The FAI should be ripped apart root and stem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

A Delaney boot licker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Am posting this in After Hours due to my never having bothered getting approval to post in the soccer thread.

This guy has been 'seconded from UEFA' - which is hardly a ringing endorsement when you see nights like we had last night in Bulgaria, or when you see how its former head Michel Platini is getting on.

He says of Brian Kerr - whom you can only hold in high esteem for what he has done for Irish soccer -

"I wonder has the bitterness become to much for him".....

He might more appropriately wonder if the bitterness is too much for the entire Irish public after the way the FAI has behaved for the past decade or more.

I am asking myself if this guy really understands how incredibly low public opinion is of the FAI.....

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/football/i-wonder-has-the-bitterness-become-too-much-for-him-noel-mooney-responds-to-brian-kerrs-fai-criticism/ar-AAIL2nz?ocid=ientp

What a pathetic bunch. They are like a cult. ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I don’t really care if it’s public or private but he also suggested that, as Gerry Adams and Ian Paisley had found common ground in Northern Ireland, that maybe myself and the FAI could.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/soccer/kerr-rejected-mooneys-offer-to-become-fais-media-watchdog-947168.html Mooney seemed a bit pretentious in his dealing with Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In people's rush to follow the tribe and jump on the anti FAI bandwagon they fall to realise that Kerr is a clown.

He got the sack in 2005 cos he was a s**t manager.

He kept harping on about how "one moment of brilliance from Henry" was the difference between Ireland qualifying for the 2006 WC and not.

When in reality had the French game ended in a draw ( rather than 1-0 to France) Ireland would still be fcuked.

It was the throwing away of a 2-0 lead at home to Israel earlier that year that killed them, not Henry.

But Kerr won't mention that because it does not suit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In people's rush to follow the tribe and jump on the anti FAI bandwagon they fall to realise that Kerr is a clown.

He kept harping on about how "one moment of brilliance from Henry" was the difference between Ireland qualifying for the 2006 WC and not.

When in reality had the French game ended in a draw ( rather than 1-0 to France) Ireland would still be fcuked.

It was the throwing away of a 2-0 lead at home to Israel earlier that year that killed them, not Henry.

The tribe? Lol.

You seem to have a weird grudge against one thing he said that you wrote a big long post about. Kerr has been right about the FAI for a long time, regardless of what anyone thinks of his Irish stint as manager.

I was wondering when the FAI defenders would pop their heads up again now the Delaney debacle has quietened again. That thread was really something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kerr is a good decent stand up guy who has done more for Irish Soccer at a number of levels than most. Whatever you think of his management capability.
    How you can call the guy a clown based on one management job tells more about you than Kerr.
    The fact that he is getting belittled by the top brass at the FAI is not surprising and unfortunately the FAI seem to have learned nothing.
    There are plenty on here, yourself included by the looks of things who are happier to back the FAI line on various topics despite all the evidence that suggests the FAI are rotten at the top level and have been for decades.

Corholio wrote: »
    The tribe? Lol.

You seem to have a weird grudge against one thing he said that you wrote a big long post about. Kerr has been right about the FAI for a long time, regardless of what anyone thinks of his Irish stint as manager.

I was wondering when the FAI defenders would pop their heads up again now the Delaney debacle has quietened again. That thread was really something else.

It's more than just one thing he said that guides my opinion of him.

Games under Kerr with players far better than we have now were diabolical.

The aforementioned Israel in 2005, anyone remember Albania in 2003 ?

He dragged a good team into a morass of negativity.

And when he got the sack all he did, and has still done, is whinge.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kerr was responsible for bringing through some of our most talented footballers ever.

He made mistakes as Ireland manager, everyone knows that, but he got thrown user the bus far too soon. Someone like him should've been there to help put in place some actual time of national development plan, but they binned him for the gaffer and then 10+ years of the dreariest football possible with some exceptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

For the morons slating Kerr, please do the following.

List the managers who have won the UEFA U18 and U16 championships in the same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I completely disagree with him in saying that we should "move on from the John Delaney chapter”.
    Irish football needs a 'forensic audit' for a variety of reasons. Chiefly among them being how one man was able to have such massive control over the FAI.

It needs a new 'constitution' for how it is governed and ran. Otherwise we will just get a John Delaney 2.0 in power over the game again. Nothing will change without new governing rules.

Brian Kerr strikes me as a very sincere person. A real football man if you will. I don't think he has any bitterness in him. He could easily do his commentary and panelist gigs while saying nothing about the FAI, like most of the others do. He is critical of them as an organisation because he genuinely believes they have failed Irish soccer.

The FAI should be ripped apart root and stem.

Sounds like a guy whose appointment could signal a frying pan into the fire type scenario here. Worrying that only a wet day in the job and he is throwing his weight around throwing public snide digs at a guy like Brian Kerr who to anyone who knows anything is a reasonable, intelligent football commentator who loves the game and is passionate about us being successful. A sincere person is right...

We’ll see how often this clown shoots his mouth off in the press when people are critical of the team or the FAI....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Last year Kerr denied that bringing a midfield player (Kavanagh) on for the injured Keane when 2 up in that game ever happened.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    For the morons slating Kerr, please do the following.

List the managers who have won the UEFA U18 and U16 championships in the same year.

Nothing against Kerr's record as an underage coach.
    His achievements are unparalleled in Irish sports.

But his senior managerial record was terrible given the talent he had and he has been moaning ever since he got the sack.

Nothing against Kerr's record as an underage coach.
    His achievements are unparalleled in Irish sports.

But his senior managerial record was terrible given the talent he had and he has been moaning ever since he got the sack.

He has the highest win % of any irish manager and the lowest losing %. He drew too many games, chiefly those 2 israel games. However is draw % is pretty much on par with McCarthy, Charlton, Trap and ONeill.

Our defense was better under him than any other manager in terms of goals against per game other than Charlton. We didn't score enough however, he was too cautious against teams we should have been holding leads against.

We lost our first 2 games for 2004 qualifiers under Mick, and he still got us in with a chance of qualifying. oan about the Albania match, but nobody beat them at home in that qualifying. They'd beaten Russia only 3 days earlier too. Also don't forget, Robbie Keane's dad passed away that week so there was a lot of other things at play beyond football.

We went into the last match with qualification still in our own hands in 2005 too, but of course had another draw against a fairly handy Swiss team.

We've lauded other managers for getting by, completely ignoring that lots of times we've relied on results elsewhere in the final rounds.

to say he had a terrible record is completely false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't even see how his (contested) poor performance as ROI manager makes his criticism less valid or true anyhow.

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't even see how his (contested) poor performance as ROI manager makes his criticism less valid or true anyhow.

It's the bandwagon you see.

Anyone with something negative to say about the FAI is automatically correct, regardless of their motivation.

It's a bit like a post on the John Delaney thread a few months back that appuladed something critical Brendan Menton had to say about the FAI

If one is agreeing with what Menton has to say in regards to FAI governance then one has really jumped the shark.

I'm no fan of the FAI, but equally I don't take every criticism of them as gospel, as many do.

As I said Kerr is still moaning after rightly being dropped as manager in 2005 (obviously his successor was a bigger disaster), so he has had a gripe against the FAI since.
    What he says should be taken with that very much in mind.

If anyone listened to Kerr's long interview on I think Newstalk you get a sense of the man. It was about his time in the Faroes. A pure football man, no doubt about it. Reducing his tenure as Irish manager to a couple of results against us is just silly. Maybe he wasn't the best ever but he pretty much met expectations I would have thought.

You have previously defended Delaney.

Which is perfectly legitimate, and in fact I agree the FAI were right to get rid of Kerr. I wouldn't say he was a "s**t manager" but his tenure was not as good as I'd hoped for.

But here's the thing, if you are having a go at what motivates others, saying they are only "following the tribe", it opens up analysis your motivation. And when someone defends Delaney and attacks Kerr to the point of swearing about him, one might wonder...are you just being a contrarian and trying to stir it up a little? Is there any element of that at all?

• Advertisement

It's the bandwagon you see.

Anyone with something negative to say about the FAI is automatically correct, regardless of their motivation.

It's a bit like a post on the John Delaney thread a few months back that appuladed something critical Brendan Menton had to say about the FAI

If one is agreeing with what Menton has to say in regards to FAI governance then one has really jumped the shark.

I'm no fan of the FAI, but equally I don't take every criticism of them as gospel, as many do.

As I said Kerr is still moaning after rightly being dropped as manager in 2005 (obviously his successor was a bigger disaster), so he has had a gripe against the FAI since.
    What he says should be taken with that very much in mind.

Well done on managing to completely swerve some of the facts presented there.

We were properly brutal in 2008, but finished 3rd as expected in a group with Germany and a then still good Czech team. Kerr would probably have still finished 3rd, but with more points I wager.

Yes we were unbeaten in 2010 qualifying and could've gone through in playoffs and we all know what happened, but we were actually pretty brutal in the group drawing 6 games. The italy matches were good results, but we couldn't beat Bulgaria or Montenegro. We scraped by Cyprus in both games. We also scraped through as the 8th best 2nd place team.

2012 we probably had one of the easiest groups we've ever had, finished 2nd and then got the easiest draw we could've asked for.

1998 we scraped 2nd place in a group that we should have been comfortable ahead of Lithuania and Macedenia.

2002 is the outlier. One of the hardest groups we've ever had, and we were excellent. We could have legitimately topped that group and only lost out on GD. It was fortunate that we knew that our group's runner up was likely to be playing either Iran or Saudi Arabia before our first game though and not have a potential European heavyweight to knock us out of another playoff.

So once again, Kerr was at the very least par for the course as a manager. Some of the players had a bit of strop, but they embraced even dourer, negative tactics in the years that followed.

Had he been kept on, and also given some type of remit to develop things nationally, Irish football would be in a much healthier place by now, but we're still clinging on to the hope that a few people will find an ancestor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Even the North have a Academy now.

And we expect to go to Euros and take on at least the teams just Below the Germany's and France's. Please...

Advertisement