Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 weeks later: Do I give a refund?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello,
    Not sure what forum to use but this place seems pretty open. I sold a keyboard 2 weeks ago on donedeal, working perfectly. Guy messages me now and says there must be a loose wire inside it, sound isn't working properly. Do I now need to take back something that was working fine and give a refund? What is the norm here??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

just give him back the 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 32 waterfordwendy

bassy wrote: »
    just give him back the 2 euro

€175!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Hello,
    Not sure what forum to use but this place seems pretty open. I sold a keyboard 2 weeks ago on donedeal, working perfectly. Guy messages me now and says there must be a loose wire inside it, sound isn't working properly. Do I now need to take back something that was working fine and give a refund? What is the norm here??

If it was working fine for you and also the person buying it on day of sale I would say No you are not obliged to take it back unless you agreed on a guarantee during sale ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

€175!

Block and ignore. It was a private sale of a secondhand item. They have no comeback so don't waste your time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

If it's still under warranty look into it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s a second hand keyboard doing second hand equipment things

If he wanted a warranty he should have bought a new one

It is about 6 years old so I doubt it. I would think differently if he contacted me a day or 2 later but a full two weeks seems suspect. I guess I am just looking for reassurance here but I think I will be holding my ground on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It is about 6 years old so I doubt it. I would think differently if he contacted me a day or 2 later but a full two weeks seems suspect. I guess I am just looking for reassurance here but I think I will be holding my ground on this one.

Did you post it? Was it definitely well enough packaged not to be damaged in transit?

I delivered it myself with great care. A refund has not been requested yet but I have a feeling that is where the conversation is going. What would you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I delivered it myself with great care. A refund has not been requested yet but I have a feeling that is where the conversation is going. What would you do?

Ah if you delivered it yourself and you know it was working I would say you have no obligation to refund. Sounds like you are in the right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

You delivered it working and as you said yourself if it was same day,,,, even next day then I'd feel under pressure maybe.....

2 weeks later ...... as also has been said if the person wanted a new one with a warranty then should have gone to a shop ....

Wash your hands of this op ..... its none of your business....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Not a hope should you be giving him a refund here. It's his problem now. That's just how it is when buying second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

Relieve yourself of any responsibility, you have none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

A circuit might have shorted during the epoch of his ownership.

Advise him for his next donedeal purchase he should get a voltmeter, conductive paint and selotape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Charge him €15 a minute for customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Keep engaging, don't ignore, maybe it can be sorted,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was the day of delivery I'd possibly refund something, 2 weeks later goodnight Irene. Lately you need to record a device working, send this video file with shipment notice to buyer, too many crooked people in the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Moving thread to consumer issues and closing temporarily

Person claims I should pay to get this repaired now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ignore and block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Think you've had your answer at this stage OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

And I suppose he'll arrange the repair and you pay him for it....

Ignore OP. Next time he might take better care of something he buys...if there is actually something wrong with it.

You should have blocked them by now as advised. You have no obligation to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ignore him. He bought second hand goods from an individual. He has no comeback whatsoever. He has no consumer rights as he didn't buy from a business.

Advertisement