Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CGT CG1 Losses Question

• 18-04-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

I am completing CG1 form for sale of shares last year. I made below €1270 so won't have to pay tax. My question is say for example I made €600 on shares in 2020 and lost €100. Rather than having €500 gain can I put the €100 loss into 'unused losses for carry forward to 2021' so I can use it next year ? Then I would just be declaring the net gain as €600 and still paying no tax. I would hope to make more than €1270 this year hence why I would bother trying to carry forward the 2020 loss. Or is this allowed ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

CIP4 wrote: »
    I am completing CG1 form for sale of shares last year. I made below €1270 so won't have to pay tax. My question is say for example I made €600 on shares in 2020 and lost €100. Rather than having €500 gain can I put the €100 loss into 'unused losses for carry forward to 2021' so I can use it next year ? Then I would just be declaring the net gain as €600 and still paying no tax. I would hope to make more than €1270 this year hence why I would bother trying to carry forward the 2020 loss. Or is this allowed ?

Is it not past the deadline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Is it not past the deadline?

It would be for paying capital gains tax. But the deadline for filing capital gains tax return is 31st October 2021 for 2020 year.

It would be for paying capital gains tax. But the deadline for filing capital gains tax return is 31st October 2021 for 2020 year.

You should have included your CGT details in your Form 11, no?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    You should have included your CGT details in your Form 11, no?

Form 11 is for self employed people which I am not. Online form 12 doesn't include capital gains tax. So I need to use CG1 form and can then just submit that online.

Form 11 is for self employed people which I am not. Online form 12 doesn't include capital gains tax. So I need to use CG1 form and can then just submit that online.

Ok cool, well you're certainly entitled to carry forward your loss anyways.

Include it at #18, unused loss for carry forward to 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

That’s not correct, losses are utilised before 1270 exemption

That’s not correct, losses are utilised before 1270 exemption

Ok so in other words in the above example I can’t carry forward the loss as I have to use it against my gain. I had a feeling it was that way alright.

Advertisement