Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea what the issue is here:

Options
  • 08-04-2021 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

So I got a bit over confidant and decided to try a somewhat complicated job.

This: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3223697/comments

It says it doesn't need supports and I don't know any better anyway but common sense would say supports would be needed.

Everything prints great besides the underhangs. I was going to try and salvage but thought I'd let it finish to post and see what you all think the issue could be.

549573.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

You need to turn it on its side then you wont need supports, general rule is to figure out where the largest flat side is that allows you to have the least amount of overhangs, then use that as your print orientation, naturally if you have load going through the print you need to think again so that the layers are running the way that you need them. bit for that piece, flip it through 90 degrees and it should be flat on the bed, I have one myself o my Ender 3 pro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think it should be printed on its side, it has a flat side which should probably be the base.
    I'm surprised how well it printed without supports tbh, thats an impressive overhang.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Ah I see!! :) How would you add supports for future reference? Will give another go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

There should be an option in whatever slicer software you are using to add supports. It's usually automatic once it's turned on

toe_knee wrote: »
    There should be an option in whatever slicer software you are using to add supports. It's usually automatic once it's turned on

Gotcha. I'm blind!

• Advertisement

So I got a bit over confidant and decided to try a somewhat complicated job.

This: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3223697/comments

It says it doesn't need supports and I don't know any better anyway but common sense would say supports would be needed.

Everything prints great besides the underhangs. I was going to try and salvage but thought I'd let it finish to post and see what you all think the issue could be.

549573.JPG

I'm actually impressed that it came out that well!

What slicer are you using? Cura has the rotation arrows in place, from the start.

Search "supports" and option will come up

I'm actually impressed that it came out that well!

What slicer are you using? Cura has the rotation arrows in place, from the start.

Search "supports" and option will come up

Was using the creailty slicer. Switch to Cura since. Printed it on its side the second time turned out fine but it is a tad bit too big (wobbles). Needs to be scaled to 0.96 but I seen this after the fact in comments. :rolleyes:

Advertisement