Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which large print area printer?

Options
  • 06-04-2021 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Looking to pick up a printer with a large print area, I'm hoping to be printing helmets etc.
    Budget is up to circa €350. Was looking at the Ender 3 Max, however, have seen some comments about the print quality not being great.
    Has anyone bought from comgrow.com? They are offering a refurbished ender 5 plus for similar price as a new ender 3 Max, it also comes with a years warranty. Is that a better option?

I've also seen the artillery sidewinder x1 mentioned frequently as a good option although doesn't seem to be as readily available.

Anyone have experience of these printers and could give some advice?

Also interested to know if these larger printers have any issues with maintaining quality of much smaller prints?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I have the artillery sidewinder x1. I am new to 3d printing and this is my first printer. The setup is quick and you can be printing out of the box within 30 minutes and get pretty good prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I have an Ender 5 pro. Its not bad overall but we have had a fair few issues with bed levelling. I ended up getting a bltouch and it still took about 2 weeks before we could get it leveled out. Still have some issues with levelling and the support is not great from Crealty. Also have had long prints just conk out for no obvious reason. Using Octoprint with a usb cable with pin5 covered so it shouldn't be the issue.

I also have a prusa mini and the prints from it are more reliable and better quality. It's very easy to level but the print surface is much smaller. Its also quite a bit more expensive.

I think the quality of smaller prints is probably more an issue of how much you've tuned up the printer, ensuring bed levelling is correct, quality of filament, getting the right temperatures with the right filament etc.

We have litophanes from both printers and the big difference seemed to be the filament quality and how level you could get the bed, alongside your settings.

I'm not sure if thats of any help but its been my experience with two signifcantly different printers.

Advertisement