Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a Good Secondary School

Options
  • 04-04-2021 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We are relocating to Ireland after 7 years overseas and now looking for secondary schools. Our oldest son will start 1st year in September.

We missed the cut-off date for applications as we were not planning on returning until recent situation changes.

All of the schools we have contacted have said they are already oversubscribed, with 10's of kids on waiting lists. Some schools wont accept an application because we are not in country yet.

We haven't selected a final location yet as we want to confirm schools first. We have targeted south Dublin as our preferred location and contacted fee and non-fee schools in Monkstown, Deansgrange, Blackrock, Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire.

Has anyone else had this situation? Are there any agencies or placement services that can help with this process?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This will probably get more useful replies in parenting, or possibly Dublin South, though I suspect it is an issue affects all areas. I will move it.

Parenting mods, please move on if inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I have heard similar things from acquaintances/co-workers whose kids will be starting secondary school in September in and around the same areas you have listed, and in both fee paying and non-fee paying schools.
    TBH it's the same in my area of North Wicklow too.
    I don't really know what advice to offer, other than to say it seems to be a common enough problem in many areas.

Advertisement